Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Thanked 1,167 Times in 854 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoulombe View Post
I would not run my winter setup without TPMS. That's a personal preference. In the last 7 years, I had at least 3 or 4 punctures plus 2 valve stem failure due to corrosion (on the winter tires). Each time, the TPMS light went on. To me, that's peace of mind. But I understand that people survived without TPMS for many years...
It's worked out for me...

But then again, TPMS has saved my ass a few times when I did get a slow leak or punctures, but since they're on my OEM wheels (and the fact I usually get tire issues from construction sites that I'm inspecting during the summer months)...

I may bite the bullet and get them installed on my MSWs when I get new winter tires, just for peace of mind. But since the MSWs were used on an older-model 3rd-gen before I bought them, they didn't have/need the sensors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Lol...i was just going to suggest you don't bother with TPMS in your winter wheels. Piece of mind? When the crap doesnt work and your light is on all the time, and you get robbed by a tire store to replace it or repair it, or charged extra for new seals whenever you get new tire...no thanks. Throw a tire gauge in your glove box and check pressure once a month.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1219 View Post
Lol...i was just going to suggest you don't bother with TPMS in your winter wheels. Piece of mind? When the crap doesnt work and your light is on all the time, and you get robbed by a tire store to replace it or repair it, or charged extra for new seals whenever you get new tire...no thanks. Throw a tire gauge in your glove box and check pressure once a month.
The real value of TPMS isn't the regular, slow leakdown that you get with any tire.

It's from a picked-up nail or screw, especially on a long trip. So far on my "6" it's caught two of those, both of which were manageable with air-ups on a regular basis until I could get home where it's much more convenient to have the tire repaired. In both cases the TPMS system detected the puncture when it was not in any way visible by "walk around" inspection in terms of inflation loss. Once you get to *that* point with radials the odds are high there has been significant internal heat damage to the tire, especially if you're driving at highway speeds, and you turn a $10 tire repair into a new tire -- which, if you have "road hazard" isn't the end of the world until it happens when you have a decent amount of wear on the tires at that point; the road hazard coverage doesn't cover the other tire on the same axle that you really need to replace at the same time.

Might I have caught both before there was heat-related damage or an outright failure without TPMS? Maybe. I have in the past before TPMS was a "thing" but I do see the value in this sort of circumstance, particularly since it's worked "as designed" twice for me thus far in owning the car (~175,000 miles.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
I never had problems detecting a tire with low pressure and adding air or swapping on the spare before damage occurred. I've been driving for 35 years. If you struggle with this, by all means pay extra for TPMS. If you dont, you might want to leave it off.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a 2019 Mazda 6 Signature. I have no regrets. I live in Florida so snow isn’t an issue but I’m from New England.

AWD is a tempting feature but honestly it wouldn’t have made me choose the Subaru over the Mazda 6 even when thinking about the worst snow conditions driving I’ve had to do.

The Mazda 6 is a better looking car inside and especially outside than the Subaru.

When it comes to the engine being more expensive or difficult to repair. I think now all new car engines are difficult to repair. Gone are the days when a mechanically inclined person can do most of their own engine work without specialized tools and a little more technical knowledge. This wouldn’t stop me from getting the Mazda 6.

The engine in my car runs glassy smooth. When at 500 RPM it’s super quiet and almost feels like the car has been turned off.

I recently had a friend in the car who has a newer BMW roadster. He spontaneously remarked. “This car feels like it’s fun to drive. I can tell.” I said it “it is.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page