LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
In my view, moderately taller (i.e. higher profile ratio)/narrower tires (to maintain overall tire dia. + to elongate and make-more-narrow the tread ground pressure pattern) along with choosing a winter / snow specific tread pattern is what's required. I find that small (i.e. shorter wheelbase) FWD cars do best. For a car the size of a Mazda6 it seems to me that care in choosing snow tire sizes and tread types is needed so as not to be disappointed with in-snow performance. Some care in also viewing tire load rating (in the midst of tire size/dimension changes) also is warranted.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 05-14-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
My vote is on Mazda simply for the fact that Subaru is going all in on CVTs and I can't stand the things. But that's my opinion.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Why not split the difference and go CX-5? I test drove an'18 Forester and Crosstrek (Both manuals), so suggest you do that prior to my Mazda test drive and Mazda6 purchase. I do the same length commute and had the same concerns about the snow. Would have been nice to have the 4WD/AWD and extra ground clearance the 1st winter as we had a ton of large snowfalls, but this year, wasn't much at all, so glad I have the Mazda6 this year. I keep looking for an extra set of 17"ers that I can use as an extra set with winters mounted, but haven't come accross as of yet, but that's my longer plan. Good luck with your (personal) decision and purchase!

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
My vote is on Mazda simply for the fact that Subaru is going all in on CVTs and I can't stand the things. But that's my opinion.
I wonder why people don't want CVT? I've heard of some issues regarding CVT on other brands and some are saying that once it breaks, it's totally broken. There's no way you can fix it except by replacement.

My question now, how long can a CVT last if it's properly cared?

I'm off topic again! Please don't answer​ my inquiry.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've owned AWD vehicles when I lived in the snow range. They're worth it BUT.... in real snow conditions snow tires are the jazz, and FWD with them beats AWD without. Every time.

Now if you live where it REALLY snows, and have mountains, then you need clearance for chains. The "6" can use cable chains. Real AWD vehicles with real tire well clearance can use CHAIN CHAINS, and the two are not the same thing. I have cable chains because I go out to CO in the winter, and if you don't have 'em, snow tires or not and it snows a bunch you ain't going where you wanna go -- period.

I have no fear of the SkyActiv drivetrain reliability wise. Then again I have 175,000 miles on mine. Zero issues. Subie? Well, AWD is more complex and thus has more issues. The Boxer engine design burns oil -- period. It's a good engine but it burns oil. Keep it happy and you're fine. Don't, and... well..... and there ARE issues.

Serious issues. Like head gaskets. Which appears to be linked to ABSOLUTE intolerance to overheats. That, by the way, is a common feature with diesels. DO NOT EVER overheat them. This means paying attention in a big way to the cooling system which most people do not do. Then very expensive trouble comes knocking.... These, of course, are GAS engines. Which implies Subie shaved some margins. Not the end of the world provided you never overheat. If you do....

Oh, and don't get a CVT. Ever. They're time bombs. They all fail, all out of warranty, and are expensive. It's a design issue that can't be overcome simply due to how they work. And a lot of Subies have 'em in them now..... which is not good.

If you need the road clearance and want AWD then, well, you do. But if the issue really is snow get real snow tires and rims for the winter and FWD will be just fine. If you live where there are mountains toss a set of chains in the back in the winter months.

I drove a couple of Subies before I bought my "6". Refinement and interior weren't even close; the Mazda won by a country mile. Now a few years and 175,000 miles into it... I'm not sorry with my choice.

At all.

Last edited by tickerguy; 05-14-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
I've owned AWD vehicles when I lived in the snow range. They're worth it BUT.... in real snow conditions snow tires are the jazz, and FWD with them beats AWD without. Every time.

Now if you live where it REALLY snows, and have mountains, then you need clearance for chains. The "6" can use cable chains. Real AWD vehicles with real tire well clearance can use CHAIN CHAINS, and the two are not the same thing. I have cable chains because I go out to CO in the winter, and if you don't have 'em, snow tires or not and it snows a bunch you ain't going where you wanna go -- period.

I have no fear of the SkyActiv drivetrain reliability wise. Then again I have 175,000 miles on mine. Zero issues. Subie? Well, AWD is more complex and thus has more issues. The Boxer engine design burns oil -- period. It's a good engine but it burns oil. Keep it happy and you're fine. Don't, and... well..... and there ARE issues.

Serious issues. Like head gaskets. Which appears to be linked to ABSOLUTE intolerance to overheats. That, by the way, is a common feature with diesels. DO NOT EVER overheat them. This means paying attention in a big way to the cooling system which most people do not do. Then very expensive trouble comes knocking.... These, of course, are GAS engines. Which implies Subie shaved some margins. Not the end of the world provided you never overheat. If you do....

Oh, and don't get a CVT. Ever. They're time bombs. They all fail, all out of warranty, and are expensive. It's a design issue that can't be overcome simply due to how they work. And a lot of Subies have 'em in them now..... which is not good.

If you need the road clearance and want AWD then, well, you do. But if the issue really is snow get real snow tires and rims for the winter and FWD will be just fine. If you live where there are mountains toss a set of chains in the back in the winter months.

I drove a couple of Subies before I bought my "6". Refinement and interior weren't even close; the Mazda won by a country mile. Now a few years and 175,000 miles into it... I'm not sorry with my choice.

At all.
With that explanation, then I'll be staying out with CVT. It is fortunate for me that Mazda isn't using CVT, I didn't consider this thing when I was looking for another car.

Again, the recommendation is Mazda over Subaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
You probably won't find anyone recommending a Subaru over a Mazda on these forums, haha. This is an interesting link:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-brands
I guess we should recommend the guy to look for a dedicated forum for Subaru. He might have a different answer.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Instead of the Legacy why not just go for the WRX ? One of the sportiest driving cars in its segment, looks pretty decent, good motor, AWD, manual transmission and endlessly tune-able with so many off the shelf goodies available along with a pretty tight enthusiast community.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:39 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Thanked 1,164 Times in 851 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilR View Post
Instead of the Legacy why not just go for the WRX ? One of the sportiest driving cars in its segment, looks pretty decent, good motor, AWD, manual transmission and endlessly tune-able with so many off the shelf goodies available along with a pretty tight enthusiast community.
If the OP is choosing between a 6 Signature and a fully-optioned Legacy, I highly doubt he'd consider a WRX. Yes, it's a good performer, but the interior materials and fit-and-finish is utter crap compared to the Signature. I've seen better plastics and cloth used in an '88 Hyundai Excel.
ocramida likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Well thank you to everyone for their feedback and support. For starters I never even thought of the CVT but yes that is a bit of a downside to the Legacy. Also GreyGhost is right, its a big no from me on a WRX, the new Impreza is better than that and that's saying something. I prefer the size and comfort of the 6, or Legacy and refuse to own a crossover like the CX5...yet. Overall it seems like the group has a unanimous opinion on tires. AWD shouldn't be the selling point and it should be on tires. So with that I ask, what are you guys doing for winter setups? I would definitely go with a 17" wheel, so about a 255/50 tire? I would want to keep the speedo as close to accurate as possible, also what do you do about the TPMS sensors, because I wouldn't want my tire light on for 4-5 months? Thank you all for your feedback, I will be test driving both very soon.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 782 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsnwheels View Post
Well thank you to everyone for their feedback and support. For starters I never even thought of the CVT but yes that is a bit of a downside to the Legacy. Also GreyGhost is right, its a big no from me on a WRX, the new Impreza is better than that and that's saying something. I prefer the size and comfort of the 6, or Legacy and refuse to own a crossover like the CX5...yet. Overall it seems like the group has a unanimous opinion on tires. AWD shouldn't be the selling point and it should be on tires. So with that I ask, what are you guys doing for winter setups? I would definitely go with a 17" wheel, so about a 255/50 tire? I would want to keep the speedo as close to accurate as possible, also what do you do about the TPMS sensors, because I wouldn't want my tire light on for 4-5 months? Thank you all for your feedback, I will be test driving both very soon.
Glad we could help! I forgot to mention the the Mazda community (as a whole) is way better than the Scoobie community IMO - so go Mazda haha.

First - The 2014 - 2017 models don't have TPMS, they use indirect and it's bliss. The newest ones went back to direct.

Second: I run 20" rims in the summer and 17s in the winter and I think it's a great setup. I run tires that are *slightly* too small (got them for cheap) for the winter. They're 255/45/R17 but 255/50 would be perfect I wager since my speedo is off about 1mph for every 30 I go.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page