Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mazda6 versus Mazda3

Hello all!

I currently own a Mazda3. However, it is on its last legs, burning oil like crazy, and I plan on getting a new car by the end of this year.

Question: which model should I opt for: the Mazda6 or the Mazda3?

I've driven both, and here are my thoughts:
1. Driving: The Mazda6 felt bigger than the Mazda3, which reflected in the driving dynamics. The Mazda3 felt a bit more agile, a bit more powerful.
2. Looks: I personally think that the Mazda6 wears the Kodo design language the best. The Mazda3 seems like it needs a bit more sheet metal. However, the Mazda3 does have the appearance package, which, I think, makes it looks noticeably better than the Mazda6.
3. Size: I am 5'9", and I felt that the Mazda6 was a good size for me. But the Mazda3 fit like a glove. However, my wife preferred the roominess of the 6. Also, as someone who would like to start a family in the coming few years, perhaps the Mazda6's size would be better.
4. Options: The Mazda6 appears to come with a lot of goodies as standard. However, the Mazda3 needs a ton of features added on to come to the same level. I am considering the Grand Touring versions of both models, and feel that the GT Mazda6 offers better value. Also, considering that at that level they both cost nearly the same, I think the Mazda6 offers more car for the same money.

So, thoughts? Mazda3 or Mazda6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Mazda 6 all the way for someone who has family.

Current:
Mazda 6 2016/Touring/Reflex Blue Mica/Sand Interior

Previous:
Mazda 6 2015/Touring/Liquid Silver/Black Leatherette Interior/ Moon Roof/Bose package

Previous:

Mazda 6 2014/Touring/Reflex Blue Mica/Almond Leatherette Interior

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Looks like you already answered your own question Mazda 6 FTW

I was cross-shopping both models as well and felt that 2.0 M3 was not as quick and nimble as the M6. And by the time you option out the M3S with 2.5 as the M6, you are looking at spending a couple of $K more than 6. The M6 also usually has better incentives, further making it a more valuable option. As far as being agile, for $400 you can get lowering springs and lower front/rear braces to make it much stiffer and more nimble around turns than the M3.

p.s. putting a toddler seat in the back is not an easy task in either of the models, but it is more manageable in M6 than it is in M3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Yes the 3s is a ripoff when you compare it to the 6(i).

Also, do you have any idea how much "legroom" space is required for an aft facing child seat (required by law for infants)? A LOT!

Make your wife and your future happy and get the 6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thank you for the quick responses! Thing is, I have driven small and nimble cars my whole life, so stepping up to the bigger Mazda6 necessitates extra thought.

More questions:
1. What kind of deals/incentives am I looking at? I will be buying in December, during which time dealers are trying their best to move cars off their lots. If someone can give me an MSRP and an actual price range, that would be great (don't worry, I will not hold you to that estimate, lol.). I am looking at a 2016 Mazda6 GT with a meteor gray exterior and parchment interior.
2. Any idea if the GT Mazda6 comes standard with illuminated grill? Or do I have to up it to the Technology Package?

Zoom-zoom!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 784 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,855 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammad83 View Post
Thank you for the quick responses! Thing is, I have driven small and nimble cars my whole life, so stepping up to the bigger Mazda6 necessitates extra thought.

More questions:
1. What kind of deals/incentives am I looking at? I will be buying in December, during which time dealers are trying their best to move cars off their lots. If someone can give me an MSRP and an actual price range, that would be great (don't worry, I will not hold you to that estimate, lol.). I am looking at a 2016 Mazda6 GT with a meteor gray exterior and parchment interior.
2. Any idea if the GT Mazda6 comes standard with illuminated grill? Or do I have to up it to the Technology Package?

Zoom-zoom!
Although the 3 is like a little go-kart, the 6 is still a Mazda and Mazdas are all excellent fun to drive. This car may not *feel* as nimble as a 3, but it handles pretty dang nice for a car its size.

You'll just have to get used to a slightly larger turning radius, and not being able to squeeze into quite as many parking spaces

As for deals, I couldn't help you much there other than saying that a year-end model GT would probably run you $29k or so. These cars are such a hot commodity that they're selling quickly, which is bad news for getting good deals.

As far as I know, the illuminated grill is an addon even for the Grand Touring. The grand touring doesn't quite come with every possible luxury, and I would expect the illuminated grill to not be stock - but I could be wrong.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:20 PM

Location: fargo, nd, usa, north america, earth, the milky way galxy,the universe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Nprguymc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
the 6 is still a Mazda and Mazdas are all excellent fun to drive.
I know were not suposed to talk about it but...
(929)

Born again 2004 Mazda6 I
Forged internals 2.3L
Wiesco pistons Eagle rods

"Strike me down and I'll become more powerfull than you could possibly imagine"
-Ben Kenobi
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 784 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,855 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nprguymc View Post
I know were not suposed to talk about it but...
(929)
Shhhhh! Not supposed to talk about that!

Mazda Bongo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/Threadjack.
Nprguymc likes this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just bought a 6, although I did test drive a 3. I admit that in your shoes I would seriously consider a 3. Obviously it depends on what your priorities are, but you don't have kids yet and the 3 should give you all the practicality you need. I owned subcompacts and compacts for 25 years, 15 of those with kids, and we did just fine, although we always had one somewhat bigger vehicle if we really needed to haul a load.

I had rear facing car seats in a 1999 Protege and they fit okay, although if my wife and I were taller it might have been a problem. When the kids are young, though, you may find yourself trying to fit diapers, a stroller, a pack and play, and other doodads into the trunk, and I think you would find that even the 6's trunk may be constraining. The 3 hatchback would offer more versatility. Or you can rely on another car for more serious family hauling. As the kids got older, we found they needed a bigger back seat and a smaller trunk/cargo area, and now that I'm about to have my first teenage driver, my wife and I wanted a back seat we would be comfortable in, hence the move to the 6. I fit fine in the 3's back seat, but the 6 has more room that makes a difference with long distances.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you think the 6 is quieter and offers the comfort you want, I'd go with the 6. If the size of the 6 for everyday use gives you pause, and the 3 fits your needs and personality better, I'd go with the 3.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I originally was considering a 3GT Tech but now plan on getting the 6 GT Tech. The difference is around $50 a month with the loan I'd get and it has more space and features. I don't plan on having any kids but driving other adults in the back makes the rear room matter a lot. Here's some features off of the top of my head that make the (2016) 6 a lot nicer.

Vents in rear
Seat memory
power lumbar support (driver side)
leatherette on dash and overall better interior
all windows and moonroof are one touch up/down (just driver's window on 3)
coat hooks
2 power outlets instead of just one
analog speedometer (although I don't care as much as some people)
2 more speakers (bose isn't the best but more spots to easily mount better speakers)
illuminated grill
LED foglights - the 3 is an uglier color, though you can get LED matching ones for $30
possibly the LED headlights but I havent compared them.

The only disadvantage is slightly less mpg/power to weight and slightly larger for parking etc but honestly there wasn't enough of a difference to matter. Oh, and the tires are like $100 more a piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page