2014 Touring vs Grand Touring - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
The only thing that I really miss out on are HIDs. Note that you can always retrofit it afterwards BUT...
Agreed. I would love to swap in the OEM headlights with the leds.
mnguyen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Registered User
 
Caliche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Thanks: 75
Thanked 59 Times in 48 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Don't know the details but my dealer told me last weekend that to swap the T headlights for GT headlights would be a very expensive and complex proposition, almost cost-prohibitive.

Anyway, @cnelson, when you're ready to buy, go see Matt (Sales Manager) at CJ Wilson Mazda in Countryside (near LaGrange).
Caliche is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered User
 
taylerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rust Belt
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Thanks: 62
Thanked 56 Times in 50 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Marketing / Packaging Nonsense

I don't know why people put up with the Marketing / Packaging "strategies" followed by the auto makers ... Cloth vs Leather? Cellar vs Sunroof? MT vs AT? Pay more and no MT (but available in other Countries) ... some kind of special headlights not included in "lower" spec models? What a pain. Pay thousands more for the "spec" that includes a trinket that you want.

My wife and I got sick of such nonsense and here is what we did -- we bought a 2011 CPO BMW 328xi Sedan, with 12K (U.S.) on the odometer. Instead of a new Mazda 6. Mazda needs to get its act together, for us, anyway.

100K warranty on the Bimmer through April 19, 2018. Free maintenance through April 19, 2016, which can optionally be bumped to April 19, 2018 (for a fee, of course.)

The car has:

The classic BMW I6 NA 3.0L Engine (N51);
Titanium Silver Metallic Paint (354);
Dakota Beige Leather (LCB4);
The Steptronic Automatic Transmission (205);
The Value Package (ZVP);
The Premium Package (ZPP);
A Heated Steering Wheel (248);
The Split Fold-Down Rear Seat (465);
The "special" Xenon Adaptive Headlights (522);
and Sirius XM Satellite Radio (655).

The car was like-new when we picked it up.

The car was 33% off of BMW's original MSRP, or, substantially less $ than a new Mazda 6 GT. So I do not understand what Mazda is thinking ... or the people pandering to the Mazda Marketing / Packaging nonsense. Like the story that diesel will be here soon. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Mazda should give people choices, not conundrums and false delivery dates. And road / tire NOISE.

Dudes and Dudettes -- look around. Instead of doing the hand wringing thing over the Mazda Marketing / Packaging pay or shove it (and go deaf) philosophy, get a car that kicks butt for less than a Mazda Marketing / Packaging nightmare that puts people in a little box, where upon they twist and squirm around, and post questions about how maybe they are getting what they want, without getting screwed. They are ...

So grow up and do some real comparative shopping.

Don

Officially Something ...
taylerdo is offline  
The Following User Says NO Thank You to taylerdo For This Un-useful Post:
Gavintech (09-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Learners License
 
IgoZoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lake Arrowhead, GA (north of ATL)
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post
I don't know why people put up with the Marketing / Packaging "strategies" followed by the auto makers ... Cloth vs Leather? Cellar vs Sunroof? MT vs AT? Pay more and no MT (but available in other Countries) ... some kind of special headlights not included in "lower" spec models? What a pain. Pay thousands more for the "spec" that includes a trinket that you want.

The car has:

The classic BMW I6 NA 3.0L Engine (N51);
Titanium Silver Metallic Paint (354);
Dakota Beige Leather (LCB4);
The Steptronic Automatic Transmission (205);
The Value Package (ZVP);
The Premium Package (ZPP);
A Heated Steering Wheel (248);
The Split Fold-Down Rear Seat (465);
The "special" Xenon Adaptive Headlights (522);
and Sirius XM Satellite Radio (655).
There are other automakers (Acura & Honda, in particular) that are more rigid in their lineups than Mazda trim levels and option packages.

Accord LX (basics) CVT- $23,545
Accord EX CVT- $26,470 ($2925 more) for 17Ē alloys, moonroof, push-button start, Lane Watch and 6 vs. 4-spkrs
Accord EX-L CVT- $29,060 ($2590 more) for Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning, 10-way power driverís seat, 4-way power passenger seat, heated leather seats, 360-watt 7-spkr premium audio w/ subwoofer, XM radio
Accord EX-L CVT w/ NAV- $30,835 ($1775 for Navigation! OUCH!)

With the 2015 Mazda6 Touring, they offer the option of the Moonroof/Bose/

2015 Mazda6 Sport AT- $23,690
2015 Mazda6 Touring AT- $25,690 ($2k adds Leatherette, Dual-zone HVAC, 6-way power driverís seat, 19Ē (vs. 17Ē) alloys, Advanced Keyless Entry, Rear seat HVAC vents, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Multi-function commander control)
For $1325- add Moonroof, 11-spkr Bose Surround Sound w/ subwoofer, SiriusXM)
For $1550- add Navigation, Smart City Brake Support, Auto on/off headlights, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto-dimming driverís side mirror, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ Homelink)
2015 Mazda6 Grand Touring- $30,690 ($5k over base Touring)- adds
contents of both Touring options packages plus- Rear Lip Spoiler, Bi-Xenon headlights, LED Daytime running lights, Paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Leather upholstery, 8-way power driverís seat w/ power lumbar and memory, 4-way power passenger seat (a lot of features for $2125)

And while a CPO BMW may be simpler in terms of features and options, new ones are anything but! Hereís a look at what it would take to get a 2014 BMW 328xi 4-door as close to your specs as possible-

Base 328xi- $39,400
Cold Weather Package- $950
(Front & Rear Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel)
Premium Package- $3100
(Dakota Leather, Moonroof, Satellite Radio, Comfort Access Keyless Entry)
Lighting Package- $900
(Xenon headlights, Adaptive light control)
Metallic Paint- $550 (anything other than Alpine White or Jet Black)
Steptronic Automatic is standard ($500 more for paddle shifters)
Split-folding rear seats standard (but cost $450! on the 320i)

And Iím not sure what the ĎValue Packageí on your 2011 includes, so I may have missed something. But as is, it takes $5500 in options and option packages to get the Leather, Moonroof, Xenon, Sat radio, heated steering wheel and metallic paint)!

If you wanted to add a Rear View Camera (std. on all Mazda6 models except Sport MT) it costs $950 and comes with Park Distance Control on the BMW.

If you want a Blind Spot Monitor on the BMW, it is part of the $1900 Driver Assistance Plus Package (along with Side & Top View Cameras)....but itís standard on the Mazda6 Touring and Grand Touring!

Iím not picking on BMW by any means- I actually love them! But I donít think the Mazda trim level and option scheme is all that complicated or restrictive, and BMW does the same thing on their new models at much higher cost! =)

2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring- Blue Reflex w/ Black Leather

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD
- Crystal White Pearl w/ Sand Leather, Moonroof/Bose Package, Power Liftgate

2006 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door, Titanium Gray, 5-speed manual (my first Mazda, bought new in Dec 2005 and still looks almost new; saving it for my nephew who will start driving later this year)
IgoZoom is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IgoZoom For This Useful Post:
cnelson (08-03-2014), Gavintech (09-24-2014), taylerdo (07-30-2014), Toddanh (08-22-2014)
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
solar365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Thanks: 234
Thanked 439 Times in 311 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoZoom View Post
There are other automakers (Acura & Honda, in particular) that are more rigid in their lineups than Mazda trim levels and option packages.

Accord LX (basics) CVT- $23,545
Accord EX CVT- $26,470 ($2925 more) for 17Ē alloys, moonroof, push-button start, Lane Watch and 6 vs. 4-spkrs
Accord EX-L CVT- $29,060 ($2590 more) for Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning, 10-way power driverís seat, 4-way power passenger seat, heated leather seats, 360-watt 7-spkr premium audio w/ subwoofer, XM radio
Accord EX-L CVT w/ NAV- $30,835 ($1775 for Navigation! OUCH!)

With the 2015 Mazda6 Touring, they offer the option of the Moonroof/Bose/

2015 Mazda6 Sport AT- $23,690
2015 Mazda6 Touring AT- $25,690 ($2k adds Leatherette, Dual-zone HVAC, 6-way power driverís seat, 19Ē (vs. 17Ē) alloys, Advanced Keyless Entry, Rear seat HVAC vents, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Multi-function commander control)
For $1325- add Moonroof, 11-spkr Bose Surround Sound w/ subwoofer, SiriusXM)
For $1550- add Navigation, Smart City Brake Support, Auto on/off headlights, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto-dimming driverís side mirror, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ Homelink)
2015 Mazda6 Grand Touring- $30,690 ($5k over base Touring)- adds
contents of both Touring options packages plus- Rear Lip Spoiler, Bi-Xenon headlights, LED Daytime running lights, Paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Leather upholstery, 8-way power driverís seat w/ power lumbar and memory, 4-way power passenger seat (a lot of features for $2125)

And while a CPO BMW may be simpler in terms of features and options, new ones are anything but! Hereís a look at what it would take to get a 2014 BMW 328xi 4-door as close to your specs as possible-

Base 328xi- $39,400
Cold Weather Package- $950
(Front & Rear Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel)
Premium Package- $3100
(Dakota Leather, Moonroof, Satellite Radio, Comfort Access Keyless Entry)
Lighting Package- $900
(Xenon headlights, Adaptive light control)
Metallic Paint- $550 (anything other than Alpine White or Jet Black)
Steptronic Automatic is standard ($500 more for paddle shifters)
Split-folding rear seats standard (but cost $450! on the 320i)

And Iím not sure what the ĎValue Packageí on your 2011 includes, so I may have missed something. But as is, it takes $5500 in options and option packages to get the Leather, Moonroof, Xenon, Sat radio, heated steering wheel and metallic paint)!

If you wanted to add a Rear View Camera (std. on all Mazda6 models except Sport MT) it costs $950 and comes with Park Distance Control on the BMW.

If you want a Blind Spot Monitor on the BMW, it is part of the $1900 Driver Assistance Plus Package (along with Side & Top View Cameras)....but itís standard on the Mazda6 Touring and Grand Touring!

Iím not picking on BMW by any means- I actually love them! But I donít think the Mazda trim level and option scheme is all that complicated or restrictive, and BMW does the same thing on their new models at much higher cost! =)
I would have settled for a comeback like, I can buy a 2014 Mazda 6 GT with 12k for $22.5k which is half the price of a 2014 3 series optioned similarly. BMW needs to get their act together if they want customers to buy their new stuff with their option package structure!

It's great when people compare applies to orange then beat the living crap our of their "straw man" isn't it?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solar365 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar365 For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (09-24-2014), Toddanh (08-22-2014)
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered User
 
Toddanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Anacrime, CA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
I would have settled for a comeback like, I can buy a 2014 Mazda 6 GT with 12k for $22.5k which is half the price of a 2014 3 series optioned similarly. BMW needs to get their act together if they want customers to buy their new stuff with their option package structure!

It's great when people compare applies to orange then beat the living crap our of their "straw man" isn't it?
Seriously, I was wondering why the post was so dang long and it turns out that someone just wanted to justify his decision of buying a used car for the price of a new car, all because of the pricing structure of the new car. Then I got confused, because the main complaint was because of the pricing structure and how certain options are grouped into packages on the new car. Yet the used car is one of those European makes that is the worst offender of such a crime. Sure you get the 100,000 mile warranty. But I hope he realizes that only covers the powertrain. Have fun "maintaining" the Bimmer with that so called "free maintenance" plan.
Toddanh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Toddanh For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (09-24-2014)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca.
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
can be troublesome comparing and the price jump is it worth it?
Miubhi is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Learners License
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I have a 2014 Mazda six Touring on lease but considering the GT as a purchase. It seems that 30k+ is a lot though since my touring has some issues. The mp3 player is pretty poor, no memory and does not have a good random function. I get a lot of wind noise coming from the window frames, especially during cross wind. Also the tires make a enough noise to rival a jet engine especially on rough asphalt here in Florida. It definitely looks nice and the GT even better with those 19" rims and leather seats. And the mpg and performance is quite satisfying.. But the price is high when you are talking about getting into a Mercedes or Audi for instance.

As a former RX8 and CX5 owner I think maybe it is time to step out into something else where the manufacturer respects the consumer. Not by playing these games with packages and limiting options to only be available in certain styles. I am curious to see how fast my six depreciates since I lost a bundle on my then immaculate 2008 RX8.

Last edited by jrf72438; 09-23-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Not satisfied
jrf72438 is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered User
 
2ndName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrf72438 View Post
I have a 2014 Mazda six Touring on lease but considering the GT as a purchase. It seems that 30k+ is a lot though since my touring has some issues. The mp3 player is pretty poor, no memory and does not have a good random function. I get a lot of wind noise coming from the window frames, especially during cross wind. Also the tires make a enough noise to rival a jet engine especially on rough asphalt here in Florida. It definitely looks nice and the GT even better with those 19" rims and leather seats. And the mpg and performance is quite satisfying.. But the price is high when you are talking about getting into a Mercedes or Audi for instance.

As a former RX8 and CX5 owner I think maybe it is time to step out into something else where the manufacturer respects the consumer. Not by playing these games with packages and limiting options to only be available in certain styles. I am curious to see how fast my six depreciates since I lost a bundle on my then immaculate 2008 RX8.
Going to be tough. You're talking about Mercedes which is king for throwing in different bundled packages. Just take a look at their low end advertised CLA. I bet you that you can't pay $30K for one. By the time you pay for options, you'll be looking at at least high $30s. Not even factoring the cost of maintaining a MB.

A lot of the issue you mentioned above is very minimal. You'll run into other issues when comparing other cars as I believe there's no perfect car, just have to decide on picking the lesser evil.

I really think that you've written out Mazda so getting the GT will not be ideal IMHO. You'll run into the same issue and since it'll be a purchase, you will deal with buyer's remorse. I myself am a Mazda convert, never had one and owned BMWs (E90, E30), Nissan (350z), Toyotas (Celicas, Corolla), Honda (CRV) Acuras (Integra) even Fords (Focus) and this by far has got to be my favorite car.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 JBM Touring - 6
2ndName is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ndName For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (09-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome