The mazda 6 or 2015 wrx or.... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
View Poll Results: Which car?
2015 mazda6 mt sport 15 55.56%
2015 wrx base 7 25.93%
One of each 5 18.52%
Others 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mazda 6 or 2015 wrx or....

I have a 02 manual accord sedan and I'm thinking of getting a new car. Car still runs well but I'm getting bored. I know, first world problems. I'm budgeting for a car between 20-30k. Yes, this is not an investment, purely consumption.

I'm mid-30s with a working wife and 2year old and a probable 2nd in the future. My commute is about 5 miles (20-30min) in Philadelphia center city. I tried biking but the motorists suck, ride through dangerous neighborhoods (west philly and Camden) and the hills are killing me. Plus I can't bike in the winter. Once or twice a week, I have a 20mile highway commute. Only considering manual and base models.

Mazda 6 ($21k)
1. I just loveeee the look. It looks like a tesla.
2. Great fuel economy. Regular gas
3. Relatively comfy
4. Good reliability
5. Timing chain? Can someone confirm this?
6. Can be fun in corners
7. Relatively cheap. Cost, fuel and maintenance savings
8. Aftermarket radio possible?
9. How does it handle snow? This year was rough but I still got around in my accord. Lived in boston. So no stranger to snow.

2015 Wrx ($27k)
1. Turbo, fun but $$$?
2. Premium gas and lower mpg
3. Smaller cabin and trunk. Enough for 2 (possibly) toddlers? My car seat is the diono radian sxt. When I was growing up, we squeeze 3 kids in the backseat of a Suzuki without any car seats. Lol.
4. Handles like a dream.
5. Awd
6. Aftermarket parts will be plenty.
7. Great in snow. However comes only with summer tires.
8. Timing belt.
9. Rougher ride for kids but that's part of the fun.

I'm also open to other cars. The 2015 legacy looks bad but it does have good mpg and awd. The next speed3 with awd? Trying to balance space and speed. I still love the accord, mostly because I don't care if someone bumps into it while parallel parking. And I won't be able to get much for it. So maybe I should just drive it till it dies. My wife drives an 02 Crv and is also considering another vehicle. Maybe we'll get both the mazda6 and wrx lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 755 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,811 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

1) Everyone loves the look, it turns heads everywhere you go.
2) I haven't found a single person who could refute the MPGs I'm getting - I'm saving tons.
3) I find it extremely comfy in my GT, but I agree that the sport trim leaves something to be desired.
4) With the Skyactive engines, they're going to be extremely reliable cars. It's hard to say at this point since they haven't been out long, but I've seen nothing but great things from the Cx5 owners.
5) Yessir, timing chain.
6) Won't handle like the WRX, but it's certainly no Accord or Corolla.
7) I wouldn't have been able to afford the GT without knowing how much I would save in repairs/gas/etc with this car.
8) Absolutely possible, there are a few threads on here about it.
9) Well it depends on the driver as much as the car in my opinion. I'm in one of the snowiest cities in the country (Worcester), and I had some nice Blizzaks on the car this year - Never slipped once. I even went to a parking lot to do a few donuts and have some fun but the damn tires gripped too much to really get going haha. That being said, I had owned the car for 2 weeks last year and we got 26" of snow over 12 hours. I drove 50 miles to Boston and back in the middle of the storm on stock all season tires and was perfectly fine.

That all being said: I say it's also a major role in the driver as well. Have a good friend who bought the same car but he went from a 4wD SUV to this and he came to me one day saying it's the worst car he's ever driven in the snow. I reminded him that it's the ONLY car he's ever driven in the snow and that sort of settled that argument lol.

Between the WRX and Mazda6, you're not going to like either of them getting hit/scratched, but maybe the extra $6k you save on the 6, and all that money you save in gas could be used to fix her up

Regardless, welcome to our community, you won't find a better place to chat with fellow enthusiasts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
Nabwong (05-12-2014), SonicNutrition (05-14-2014)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've never had a car that was cheaper to keep on the road than the 6, and I've had several. That accounts for gas and services that have been done ONLY by the dealer.

FWIW, either of these cars is going to be much more fun than the accord. The WRX is a bit faster and handles better. The 6 has much more room (look for my long trip review if you plan on making many family vacations in the car), and the MPG is untouchable on the highway ~75MPH. You can certainly have more fun in the car too at the cost of MPG, but even wringing it out and disregarding MPG, the worst # I've turned up is 32MPG for a tank. Granted that is primarily highway mileage. At BEST I've gotten an indicated 41.5 from Chattanooga, TN to Myrtle Beach, SC. Sitting in a parking lot idling and dealing with coastal road traffic for the next 50 miles on that tank and it still calculated out at 39.5MPG. Let me clarify that.. over 600 miles on one tank in a GASOLINE - NON HYBRID car. Handling is good too; not too terribly far off from the miata, and a small step up from my formula as well. Acceleration from a stop leaves a bit to be desired because the car is setup for fuel economy, once moving however, a quick punch to that kickdown switch will send you moving on along quite nicely and surprisingly believe it or not.

What about the last speed3 if space isn't much of a concern? Decent MPG and a fairly reliable boosted MZR.. proper synthetic oil changes and there isn't much else to worry about except top-end carbon build-up.. but that's a problem with any DI engine. A friend of mine recently bought one, and they were getting around 30MPG out of it pretty easily

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (05-12-2014), Nabwong (05-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
^^ Everything he said, and I too can vouch for a 600 mile single tank. I've done it many times when i was commuting over 130 miles each day for work, and I did it with a trip to the white mountains last summer. 300 miles in a single day, only half a tank gone, what a feeling that is!

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
The WRX is an ENTIRELY different car. I drove it, the Sport Impreza, the Legacy and pretty-much everything else in the small and mid-sized market at or under $40k before buying my "6" (Sport, MT.)

I didn't care for the Subarus. The non-WRX models with the CVT bothered me in how they drove. I also didn't like the "greenhouse" (cant of the windshield); the rake was too much. Modern cars all have some of this in the quest for low cD but IMHO the Impreza line went too far with it and it really bothered me as a driver. There are a few other vehicles that have pushed that button with me in the past but this one stands out.

The WRX (and Impreza) is a MUCH smaller car inside than the "6." You're comparing apples to pineapples. And the fuel economy difference is not to be trifled with, nor is the lack of complexity in the "6" on an "on balance" basis in the drive-train. The WRX is of course a LOT faster, it's AWD and very well-balanced, but boy are you going to pay the pump for that privilege -- and with the insurance company too.

I'm not a fan of "leatherette". My view is that in order of desirability when it comes to seats it goes like this:

Vinyl -> Cloth -> Leather

Note that "leatherette" is vinyl. Yes, it looks like leather but it is factually vinyl. My dislike of vinyl is not appearance, it's feel -- both in summer (damned hot) and winter (damned cold), never mind the complete lack of "breathability", which promotes perspiration (and that's uncomfortable too.) My views on this have a lot to do with owning lots of cars with vinyl seats in my earlier years; indeed my father's LeSabre had cloth (velour!) upholstery and that was considered "luxury" (by a lot) compared to what I was stuck with (vinyl.)

But everyone is different in their preferences and with all that said I put Wet Okole covers on my front seats -- both for the accents I could get on them and because I live near the beach, I'm a hasher (which means I get NASTY on occasion) and salt and grime sucks on ANY upholstery.

As for handling and such I really, really like the "6." The variable-assist steering is quite-nice; there's a LOT of assist at low speed, which leads you initially to think it's badly over-boosted. Get on the highway, however, and heh, wait a second -- not so bad! Cornering is excellent with very little body roll, the brakes are well-balanced and competent and the car really LIKES to be tossed around in a corner.

Aftermarket radio is easy; if you have the commander knob you may lose it, but you can keep the steering wheel controls in any event. PAC makes a harness for that and a double-din bracket is available. The only "gotcha" right now is that nobody has plugs for the speaker connectors in the doors and dash so replacing either means cutting off the plugs. That kind of sucks -- one can hope Metra comes out with it or someone figures out what a compatible Molex or other connector is, which would resolve that problem.

Last edited by tickerguy; 05-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
Nabwong (05-12-2014)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have had the privilege to drive both cars (MT 6 touring and MT WRX Limited). Both are wonderful cars and drive great! Both have a great interior and really engage the driver. When it comes to which one I would pick, that's a hard question.

If you really look at both cars they are not really in the same bracket. The 6 (as of now) is mainly an enthusiasts family car. Its for someone that wants to have a mid-sized sedan but still wants to turn heads, have that zoom-zoom feeling but will still like to be able to look refined and sophisticated.

The WRX on the other hand, well we all know why someone would by the WRX. Turbo charged boxer engine with a rally heritage. It's for people that want a little more oomf out their everyday drive. Along with the AWD its a totally different beast compared to the 6. This car will have quite a larger aftermarket compared to the 6 because it is a tuner car. Look wise you will still get the hood scoop, and in todays eyes, hood scoop can mean two things, rice or racecar.

Which one would I choose? I would say both if I could. Id use the 6 for everyday driving just because of the MPG and looks. Makes a great daily driver that won't embarrass you (at all). I'd opt up for an STI to build/make make moar fast for nice weekends and car shows.

2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
Corksport LED Fog,Interior Kit, Stubby Antenna, K&N Drop In, Muffler/Resonator/Cat Delete, Airbox Mod, GTA Car Kit
2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech Package- Purple Drank Tuned BNR S3 15% in tank Methanol
The Following User Says Thank You to AlikaMasika6 For This Useful Post:
Nabwong (05-12-2014)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks for the welcome! You think you know everything and then more valid points are brought up. You're right, both cars are not in the same class. One is a family car and the other is a tuner. The mazda is absolutely the smart choice and the wrx is the impulsive choice. The head and the heart is unfortunately constantly at war. I've always wanted to own a wrx since I was a kid. Maybe an Asian thing, watching anime like initial D. The chances of me auto crossing is maybe 10%. The family man on the other hand wants a mature ride.

You're right about the financial part. Higher insurance, higher purchase price, premium gas, lower mpg, turbo maintenance. The question is if the cost is justified for the performance. Also, I'm looking to keep this car at least 5-10 years. My yearly mileage is about 10k. So I expect both engines to be running well. I also prefer cloth to leather/vinyl. Hence the base model. And I'm never gonna drive automatic.

I'm gonna setup a couple test drives this week. Thanks for your advice. Happy to hear about anything I missed.

Edit: By the way, did you opti coat or similar? Wondering how the paint is holding up. I'm too lazy to wax on a regular basis. Is the paint of the 6 easily chipped?

Last edited by Nabwong; 05-12-2014 at 01:06 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabwong View Post
Thanks for the welcome! You think you know everything and then more valid points are brought up. You're right, both cars are not in the same class. One is a family car and the other is a tuner. The mazda is absolutely the smart choice and the wrx is the impulsive choice. The head and the heart is unfortunately constantly at war. I've always wanted to own a wrx since I was a kid. Maybe an Asian thing, watching anime like initial D. The chances of me auto crossing is maybe 10%. The family man on the other hand wants a mature ride.

You're right about the financial part. Higher insurance, higher purchase price, premium gas, lower mpg, turbo maintenance. The question is if the cost is justified for the performance. Also, I'm looking to keep this car at least 5-10 years. My yearly mileage is about 10k. So I expect both engines to be running well. I also prefer cloth to leather/vinyl. Hence the base model. And I'm never gonna drive automatic.

I'm gonna setup a couple test drives this week. Thanks for your advice. Happy to hear about anything I missed.
First - Initial D is awesome - I just finished re-watching all of them before seeing Stage 5.

Second - You're making the same decision as a lot of people. Coming to a Mazda forum, of course you're going to get bias towards the 6, but from a financial perspective, the 6 is the better choice in all but ONE category - Resale.

If you're hoping that you keep the resale up on the car, unfortunately for Mazda, Subaru has created far too large of a name for itself to be outdone, especially in wintery climates.

I'd like to think that the Mazda resale will hold up well, but I can't tell the future, all I know is that Subbies never die and people will pay good money for one that's even 10 years old.

And don't sell yourself short - Getting the Mazda 6 doesn't mean you've become the mature family man - it just means you don't own a kids car any more

The Mazda 6 is meant to be driven, and you will enjoy driving it, that's the bottom line. You'll love getting in the car every time you do, and you'll love seeing it in a parking lot instead of blending in with the crowds. It won't give you the thrills of owning a tuner, but it's not lethargic by any means. Puts a smile on my face every time I take a turn that I know a Honda or Toyota couldn't dream of taking.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
Nabwong (05-12-2014)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Aw man, stage 5 is horrible. They didn't do justice at all. And left it hanging. Hopefully there's a final stage. Makes me wanna see it all over again.

Interior Qn, is it two tone or one? I see the roof is beige and below is black. Is there an all black option? I think I'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabwong View Post
Aw man, stage 5 is horrible. They didn't do justice at all. And left it hanging. Hopefully there's a final stage. Makes me wanna see it all over again.

Interior Qn, is it two tone or one? I see the roof is beige and below is black. Is there an all black option? I think I'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow.
Yeah, terrible stage and it left so much to be desired - but then again, they have nothing left to play on. All they can say now is how "almost perfect" each driver is, and there's nothing new that they can show why someone is better or not.

As far as I know, there's only a beige roof unfortunately. I love the black leather interior with the beige roof though, it looks classy - that plus putting in some nice white map lights instead of the pee yellow OEM and you're good to go.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page