Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (https://forum.mazda6club.com/)
-   Why the 6? (https://forum.mazda6club.com/168-why-6/)
-   -   2014 Mazda 6 vs. 2014 Mazda 3 (https://forum.mazda6club.com/why-6/282849-2014-mazda-6-vs-2014-mazda-3-a.html)

Flynnstone 12-03-2013 07:08 PM

2014 Mazda 6 vs. 2014 Mazda 3

Hello all - looking for some advice here.

I've been researching mid/full size sedans including the Mazda6, Altima, Legacy, Fusion and Impala (all 2014 models). I pretty much settled on the 6 for many reasons inlcuding gas mileage, styling, reliability, etc. This past Sunday I dropped by the local Mazda dealer to check out what they had without being pestered (They actually share the dealership with Ford and there is a lot more Ford inventory than Mazda inventory). Anyway, their website said they had something like 8 Mazda 6's on the lot. When I got there looking down the row I thought that they hadn't updated their website with inventory, because it looked like they had at least 18 6's. Starting at one end and walking up and down the row, taking some pictures of course. When all of a sudden I realized that the last 10 vehicles's were 2014 Mazda 3's!! (I didn't realize the new 3's were on the lots already.) I could barely tell the difference between the 2 models, the 3's had a slightly shorter wheelbase, slightly different directional signal style, and some interior styling differences. So when I got home I immediately went to the Mazda website to check out the specs of the 3 to compare with the 6. So here's my question...

Why should I spend the extra bucks (several thousand bucks) on the 6? If you upgrade the 3 to the 2.5 engine, the primary differences (besides the interior) between the two vehicles are in trunk capacity, fuel tank capacity and rear seat hip and legroom. I only use my rear seats occasionally.

So why should I buy a 6 instead of the 3?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

R.i.c.h. 12-03-2013 07:27 PM

Both great cars, all depends on your needs. I use my huge trunk a lot. I also think the six looks better than the 3 but that's all personal preference. If I were looking at the 3 it would be at a hatch. Can't go wrong either way.

cpnfantstk 12-03-2013 07:39 PM

I believe it will be cheaper for you to get the Sport trim 6 vs a 3 with the 2.5 engine where you'd have to move up to the Grand Touring level to get it. Otherwise,I don't see any other advantage going with the 6 with the exception of space. You'll get the updated infotainment system with the 3 and other added features. Better mpg and slightly quicker because of it's lighter weight. I have no idea how it drives though. You should compare the two by test driving in both city and highway . That's the best way to decide . I love my 6 and find the car more attractive but can see why getting the 3 is advantageous in many ways. I just don't see me paying the price for a Grand Touring 3. I paid 22890 for my Touring 6 vs at least 26000 for 3 Grand Touring with the 2.5. Good luck..go drive them both. Let me know what you decide.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

AlikaMasika6 12-03-2013 08:30 PM

I think it comes down to preference.
-Do you need a bigger car (will you fit)?
-Is trunk space a must?
-Do you want/need a hatch?
-How many passengers will you have usually?
stuff like that
The pricing is very similar with the two so you really just have to go with what suits you the best

Apostle999 12-03-2013 09:15 PM

If you wait for the turbo diesel 6, then there's a significant difference, although we are not sure yet what that exactly will be. More torque, better mpg, a more unique version of the 6. That's what I'm waiting on. I've driven both the 6 and the 3. The 3 is tight feeling in the front seat and the minor differences in leg room and hip room in the back seat make a big difference. Also the 3's steering isn't tuned the same, it's more disconnected feeling than the 6.

Don't get me wrong, on paper the 3 grand touring is only a minor bit of spec different from the 6, and it's certainly a great car. but in practice the 6 just has a different and more engaging spirit to it.

And again... Mmmm diesel... Soooo looking forward to that.

gprentice 12-03-2013 10:44 PM

I've had my 2014 Mazda 6 for a few months now. My last car was much more compact (1992 Acura Integra). I thought I would miss my old car because I drove it for over 21 years - but the M6 is really nice.

I saw the 2014 Mazda 3, but thought the dash layout wasn't as nice as the 6. (speedo). The 6 does seem a lot bigger than what I had, but the extra space has really come in handy at times.

Both the 3 and 6 are nice cars, but I figured the 6 would be a little more 'rare' than the 3 (there's tons of M3's around here - but not as many M6's)

If you have to park in tight spaces, then the M3 is smaller.

Bottom line is they are both nice cars and it comes down to your preferences.

tqking619 12-04-2013 02:23 PM

Besides the space differences in the trunk and back seat, the things to consider are the different dash layout (personally don't care for the digital speedo and the tacked on screen), the more modern infotainment system on the 3 (much better navigation and without the USB issue). Also keep in mind that the 2015 M6 could/should be hitting the lots in the first quarter of 2014...if I could have waited longer, I would have done that to get the first MY quirks possibly ironed out (ie. weatherstripping, rattles, infotainment system).

Flynnstone 12-04-2013 07:38 PM

All good points. I think I'll wait just a little longer to see what the 2015 6's have to offer, then I'll drive them both and decide after that.

Appreciate all the advice!

emptystreets130 12-04-2013 07:58 PM

I still think the 1st quarter of 2014 will still be a 2014 model. The 2015 should be late 3rd early 4th quarter. Normally a model introduce as a 2014 in early 2013 will run a full year longer than any other model year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Rickster60 12-06-2013 12:58 AM

RE: 15' 6's, my local dealer said they would be out Q1..

I agree that the 3 hatch looks sharper than the sedan, and in fact I actually wanted to lease a 3 hatch, but it was actually less expensive by $20/mo to lease a 6 Touring due to the Dec lease deals.

Not sure how it changes if you want to buy, but a lease was less expensive on the 6 and for me it became a no-brainer...