2014 Mazda 6 vs. 2014 Mazda 3 - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 waiting on a 2014 6 with the diesel...waiting....waiting

2006 Mazdaspeed6
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo
1989 RX-7 Race Car (Non-turbo)
2006 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab SR5 TRD 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Struggling with this right now - a 2015 6GT w/ Tech Pkg, or a 2014 3 S-GT w/ Tech Package.

- I do like the overall looks of the 6 a little better - the longer car suits the styling
- the rear seat room is nice, though 80%+ of the time it is just me in the car
- I like the interface on the infotainment & Nav of the 3 better than the system in the 6 - little things like the phone's ring-tones play through, more user friendly, in theory more upgradable with apps, etc.

Honestly the head-unit is the thing that is holding me back on the 6.... and sure I could save $3-$4K with the 3 equipped as above.....

hard call.....
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I took my 6 to the dealer for the fuel canister recall, and they handed me keys to a 2014 3. I was excited to have a chance to drive one of these after reading how close together they were.

Within six miles I wanted my car back...

The interior is god awful, it's much much cheaper than the 6's. The headliner, and "carpet" on the doors are much harsher. The road noise to me seemed as loud if not louder, engine noise seemed to be louder as well. The plastics felt more like the type they use on toddler toys, the arm rest sucked, the Hvac controls felt like the 90s, my 2004 6 had better controls. I hate hate HATE the gauge cluster on the three, they didnt have a cover over them to prevent dust from setting in, barring the speedo. The seats were a wash, I am meh on both the 6's and the 3's. There isn't a storage bin under the TCS Button like the six (SD slot for those with nav on the six)

Things I do like however are, the speedo itself, just the speedo, its under a plastic cover and looks nice, with its red accents.

The cruise displays what the current speed is set to, which yes, I can just get that from looking at the needle, but I found it nice.

The shifter and the area around it, this isn't covered in scratch prone plastic, and the shifter feels much better (It's an auto) imo.

The little carbon fiber weave look alike accents throughout the car are a nice touch as well.

Granted I realize that this is meant to be a cheaper car, it just made me love my car even more than before, I am spoiled.

Everything said, I want my car back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10403830_10201162601627492_5825451434412500038_o.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	121001  

Last edited by Minddream; 06-05-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Minddream - I found some similar thoughts when I was making a decision - I thought I was locked on the 6, but then saw the 3, the better infotainment system, and said "maybe" - drove both in the Grand Touring versions back to back. Really did not like the instrument cluster on the 3 with automatic - who needs a big tach staring at you in an automatic - sure, in a manual - maybe....

Other things just had a cheaper feel - guess they have to trim some cost somewhere (though when topped out there is not as big a different in price as I would have thought - about $2K). Little things which you can likely live with like the trunk hinges not being covered in the 3, but they are in the 6, etc. I felt the 3 was a little louder from a road and wind noise perspective than a 2015 "6". It also came down to rear seat room for my use.

Put the 3's infotainment in the 6 and it would be almost perfect (though the 3's infotainment has its own share of issues and quirks from what I was reading - but I have a feeling those will get resolved at a faster rate than ours on the 6).

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Soul Red & Almond Leather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardncsu View Post
Minddream - I found some similar thoughts when I was making a decision - I thought I was locked on the 6, but then saw the 3, the better infotainment system, and said "maybe" - drove both in the Grand Touring versions back to back. Really did not like the instrument cluster on the 3 with automatic - who needs a big tach staring at you in an automatic - sure, in a manual - maybe....

Other things just had a cheaper feel - guess they have to trim some cost somewhere (though when topped out there is not as big a different in price as I would have thought - about $2K). Little things which you can likely live with like the trunk hinges not being covered in the 3, but they are in the 6, etc. I felt the 3 was a little louder from a road and wind noise perspective than a 2015 "6". It also came down to rear seat room for my use.

Put the 3's infotainment in the 6 and it would be almost perfect (though the 3's infotainment has its own share of issues and quirks from what I was reading - but I have a feeling those will get resolved at a faster rate than ours on the 6).
I opened the trunk and that was the FIRST thing I saw as well, as well as the fact that even the carpeting in the back felt cheaper, I dont understand how anyone could have looked at the cupholders and thought they were designed well either....but the kicker to me is the armrest, its a brick. It has no hinge or whatever to slow it down when it closes, it just slams down. I know this sounds EXTREMELY nit picky, however when it's all of the little things... it makes me appreciate my car and the little things they did in the 6 to make it feel more "complete."

And the steering wheel feels like one of the crazy coupe wheels from when you were like 5.

It isn't a bad car though, I am an extremely hard to please person and nit picky as shit. (When I bought the six I had them turn on turn signals to make sure they were yellow... or I wouldn't buy it..) To me it just feels like a camry, good for a to b, which I suppose is what it was made for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopping.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	121017  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
There is a lot more plastic in the 3 than the abundance of soft touch material in the 6. That hints to a lot more road noise and rattles in the future...

2014 Soul Red GT w/ I-ELOOP (tech pkg)
Huskyliner Floor and Trunk Mats, White Interior LEDs, Fog, Front Lip, Door Handle, Rear Reflector Chrome Accents, SS Door Sill Plates and Bumper protector, Splash Guards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I was turned off by that Tacked on Infotainment screen on the dashboard. It comes across as an afterthought, like they thought at the last minute to slap on the screen instead of doing a recess screen into dash when not in use.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Ugh. That screen pod thing in the 3 was a deal breaker.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaddict6 View Post
ugh. That screen pod thing in the 3 was a deal breaker.

sent from autoguide.com free app
ditto :d:d:d:d:d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page