Loving My New BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List
Byakuya

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving My New BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S!

Just wanted to say a note of thanks. I finally got around to replacing the stock Dunlops on my 2015 CPO Mazda6 Touring, with the much-recommended BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. What an incredible difference! It's like a whole new car. This goes a long way to fixing my initial feelings of disappointment with the car.

My remaining dismay was mostly explained by Byakuya in the above-linked thread, who attributed it to electronic steering. Cars ought to feel like they're driving in a slot. If I sneeze, or lean over to quickly grab something from the glove box, the car should remain in roughly the same lateral position. But electronic steering is like a big dumb over-eager puppy, perfectly happy to drive out of the lane and onto the grass or over the cliff if it gets the impression that's what I may have signaled. Steering feels like a 1980's era arcade driving game: completely loose and random, with a complete disconnection between driver and road. Which is not what you want in a sporty car.

As Byakuya said back then:

Quote:
I think I can chalk a majority of your complaints up to the silly electronic steering. It's not nearly as intuitive as the older 6s, and it makes the car feel different than it really is. It's always trying to compensate for things like wind, which adds to the work needed on your end. I don't like it - not in this car, not in any new car. While it's more reliable than power steering (arguably), I MUCH prefer physically feeling the road in my wheel than some synthetic electronic thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I had the BF Goodrich COMP 2 A/S on my 2016 Mazda 6 GT.. and what a difference the tires made on the car.. Amazing traction in the snow and rain.

- 2016 Mazda 6 GT (sold)

- 2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I also have the BF Goodrich COMP 2 a/s's and LOVE THEM they completely changed the feeling and traction of the car. The stock dunlops were so dangerous in the rain and only lasted 32K mile before they were bald.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'14 Mazda 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
They're great when new... when worn down.... not so much. I went through a set and didn't buy another, mostly due to that.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:39 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
[I]As Byakuya said back then
I think this is nonsense. An electric or hydraulic rack can be programmed to feel identical. Newer cars are switching to newer racks with a light effort devoid of any feel but it has nothing to do with how the steering rack is propelled. Mazda has to cater to a broader audience hence which is why the steering is nice and light for Americans to steer one-handed. Other than that, Mazda tuned the steering perfectly while still maintaining a stable and communicative feel when going in a straight-line.

My experience with Mazda electric rack has been with OEM 17" Yokohama Advan A83A tires, and overall feedback has been very positive. Everything feels perfectly tuned together. The tires compliment the response, grip levels and feedback of the chassis particularly well especially when pushing the car in heavy rain. steering feel is quite great for a modern car with actual feedback and feel, yet is still very precise and direct. Unless you push the car too hard into a slower tight corner, overall grip levels are ridiculously high.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
How quiet are they?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wnightmare For This Useful Post:
6andcounting (10-03-2018)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
They're nice and quiet WHEN NEW. As they get older they get VERY loud -- about as bad as the Yokos that came stock on my car.... (I have the 17" rims on my Sport)

The other problem is that when they wear their traction deteriorates badly, especially when the pavement is wet. Again, when NEW they're fantastic....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
They're nice and quiet WHEN NEW. As they get older they get VERY loud --

The other problem is that when they wear their traction deteriorates badly, especially when the pavement is wet. Again, when NEW they're fantastic....
IMO this is basically true about most tires.

To the point that Michelin is advertising their "Premier" tire as still having good traction when worn.

There's not a tire made that is nearly the tire when worn that was when new. Yes, some are a bit better than others but they all lose some of their traction abilities as well as become louder with age.

NOBODY will ever try every tire made to compare against each other. This is one area (tires) when I think reviews (tirerack for example) are very helpful. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of reviews of a tire rather than a handful.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Thanked 1,164 Times in 851 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
This is one area (tires) when I think reviews (tirerack for example) are very helpful. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of reviews of a tire rather than a handful.
Their reviews are helpful, but I take them with a grain of salt, since who knows how many of them are "sponsored" by certain tire companies, or are written by people with an axe to grind.

The test results are what I pay attention to. The numbers are objective, and it also eliminates variables such as the vehicle driven, and the pavement conditions and environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
They're great when new... when worn down.... not so much. I went through a set and didn't buy another, mostly due to that.
Did you finally find something better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page