Winter tiress which of these is best? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter tiress which of these is best?

Hi: I've narrowed it down to these 2 brands & types

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...r3/302520.html

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/x-ice-xi3/148483.html

As I live in Canada(London,Ontario) need a excellent tire from what I've read up on so far these seem to fit the bill(will be adding the TPMS to these too,unless not really necessary?) Open to other brands just basing this on current research I've done!Thanks for any help!! Ishould add I have a 2018 GT...thinking 225/55 R17's is the correct size!!

Last edited by Carguru88; 09-20-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Missing info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Except for the 2018, the Gen 3 does not require tpms sensors.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 825 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
225/55-17 is the correct size, if you're going with 17" wheels.

Between the two, you really can't go wrong. Nokian is one of the best in the winter tire business. I personally have ran the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for the past 4 seasons, and I thought they suited the 6 very well, offering fantastic traction and control through the deep snow while still offering solid, squirm-free handling and braking when the roads were dry.

I guess it's the matter of whether the Nokians are worth the $175 extra or not. Personally, I don't. I 'd get the X-Ice, and use the cash difference to upgrade the 17" rims...
idrive and Carguru88 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to Mz6GreyGhost For This Useful Post:
Carguru88 (09-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
The X-Ice is not that good in the dry. If you want a good all-around tire I would suggest the Yokohama Ice-Guard IG52C. They are very good in slush and on ice.

Also, Take a look at the bridgestone blizzaks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
For me Michelin x ice xi3.
Quiet
Smooth
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
For me Michelin x ice xi3.
Quiet
Smooth
X-Ice is not quiet, smooth, or responsive on dry pavement, lol. They are good for heavy and constant winter use. Not the best choice for an all-around, multipurpose winter tire.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 825 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
X-Ice is not quiet, smooth, or responsive on dry pavement, lol. They are good for heavy and constant winter use. Not the best choice for an all-around, multipurpose winter tire.
Says you...

However. TireRack says otherwise, rating the X-Ice #1 in their Road Manners & Dry/Wet Track results.

In fact, they rate the X-Ice far better than the Yokos you mentioned.

Click me!

Some highlights...
Quote:
All four tires delivered very good snow traction with a small overall advantage for the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, especially noticeable when asking the tire to brake and turn at the same time. The Michelin X-ice Xi3 was a close second overall, and like the Blizzak WS80 also delivers very good overall traction with just a little less cornering capability than the Bridgestone tire.
Quote:
Under the light handling workload of our Road Ride, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 continued its leading position for the category, feeling well connected to the road. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 was very close behind, and a noticeable improvement in this area versus previous-generation Blizzak Studless Ice and Snow tires. The Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c showed reasonably quick initial steering response, but didn't feel quite as connected as the Michelin and Bridgestone tires.
Quote:
All four tires produced somewhat more tread noise than a typical all-season tire, but none were found to be objectionable. Such as it was the X-Ice Xi3 generated the least, while the Blizzak WS80 and iceGUARD iG52c scored close behind.
Quote:
The Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 provided the best traction in the dry and wet 50-0 mph panic stop test, and also in dry cornering. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 was a close second, while providing slightly better wet cornering traction than the Blizzak WS80. The Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c offered noticeably less grip for stopping and cornering in both dry and wet conditions...
And their summary...
Quote:
All four of our test tires performed well in those conditions. The separation came when asked to perform abrupt maneuvers on dry and wet roads. It's here the Blizzak WS80 and X-Ice Xi3 showed a distinct advantage. The iceGUARD iG52c proved adequate, but at a level below the Bridgestone and Michelin tires, while the Winter Maxx WM01 didn't have the traction of the others, particularly in the wet.
Sorry, but based on that, the fact that it's ranked 2nd behind the Blizzak from customers, based on 3.5 million miles driven, and based on personal experience driving in winter weather for over 20 years, I think it's a damn good choice for an "all-around, multipurpose winter tire."
Carguru88 likes this.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mz6GreyGhost For This Useful Post:
Carguru88 (09-20-2018), Get Inline (09-21-2018), idrive (09-20-2018)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
Hey @Carguru88 I have only tried the Ice-X (from the ones you listed. They were very good times and I would still be using them if my brake upgrade allowed me to use that size wheel.
I had the Yokohame IceGuard and they were also very good. Not as grippy in the snow but stable on the dry. I also ran Firestone Winterforce and they great in snow and rain but Really loud on the dry. I had one season on Bridgestone and they were awesome.

Both will be great, if it were me I would save the difference on the price because if you keep your head both will keep you on the road.
Carguru88 likes this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
Carguru88 (09-24-2018)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Hey @Carguru88 I have only tried the Ice-X (from the ones you listed. They were very good times and I would still be using them if my brake upgrade allowed me to use that size wheel.
I had the Yokohame IceGuard and they were also very good. Not as grippy in the snow but stable on the dry. I also ran Firestone Winterforce and they great in snow and rain but Really loud on the dry. I had one season on Bridgestone and they were awesome.

Both will be great, if it were me I would save the difference on the price because if you keep your head both will keep you on the road.
The iceguard we're stable and very quiet in the dry, decent in rain, but I like their capabilities in slush and ice.

I put these tires to the test in my RWD BMW drifting the shit out of them for two seasons straight and I was very pleased with their performance. While there are better choices out there, these are also great. Yokohama's feel better suited to Mazda's G chassis -better than any Michelin's which is certainly a consideration to make. The treadwear on them is exceptionally good better than the competition.

But hey, X-Ice was rated better, so just buy those. But there is no way Blizzaks are smoother or quieter on dry pavement. I've even heard the same with X-Ice.

Last edited by Get Inline; 09-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...r3/302520.html these are the winners the rep at Kal Tire explained why they are a step up from the Michelin X-ice so there goes more money!!LOL!!! Only 40 dollars difference between the 2 brands so going with the R3's!! Again thanks for the feedback/help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page