2018 Mazda 6 Aftermarket Wheels - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
2018 Mazda 6 Aftermarket Wheels

(The title says aftermarket wheels, but I guess really I was using OEM wheels from a different model year)

Hey, so I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else has challenges:

I went to have to have my 2015 Mazda6 GT wheels installed on my 2018 Mazda6 (was going to use the stock rims as winter wheels). As discovered, Mazda has gone the road of TPMS sensors within the wheels itself for 2018 (previous years of 3rd Gen models, they used the ABS system to monitor wheel rotation).

So I went to the same place I have always gone to over the last 3 years, they have a brand new roadforce balancer. They've balanced 4 sets of my wheels for me flawlessly, always with the smoothest ride ever.

I had them place TPMS sensors (swapped out of the 2018 wheel) in the 2015 Mazda6 wheel and roadforce it. It had miserable vibration at 45mph and higher (I could even feel it at lower speeds). I'm fairly in-tune with tire balance, so I'd consider myself very knowledgable on the subject and identifying it when it's an issue. The place I use, the guy is a former racecar driver, trust me when I say he did this correctly and knows his shit inside and out.

The vibration is in all 4 wheels as determined by rotating them multiple times - it can be felt in the chassis and steering wheel. Re-balanced 3 times using weights in different spots, sticky weights only, and tried a combination of hammer weights as well. The roadforce reads perfectly balanced each time, then go do the test drive and sure as shit, terrible vibration.

Had them remount and balance the stock wheels with same TPMS sensors, car is smooth as glass at all speeds.

The '15 Mazda6 wheels were in use for over a year with perfect balance and no issues. Hell the wheels are still brand new as far as look and feel. This is the absolute damndest thing I've ever come across with wheel balancing. Could this really be from the fact that the TPMS sensors aren't playing nice in the '15 Mazda6 wheel? They're seated properly, no play or anything, and roadforced.

What's your guys' thoughts? Trust me when I say, we freaking tried everything. Every trial and error we could possibly devise.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment

Last edited by Chazzy J; 07-05-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting you mention this....

When I had my new tires installed on the stock 19's, I had to take the car back THREE times to have them re-balanced. I have never had an issue before at this tire place but was wondering why there was so much of an issue this time. I don't think this is directly related to what you are describing but I thought I would at least share my experience.

Did the shop have a second balancer you could try?
Did you try balancing the new 2018 19s without the TPMS sensors?

Are the stock wheels designed at the factory to help offset the mass of a TPMS sensors, I wonder?
But even still, I guess that doesn't really answer why the balancer at your shop is saying they are good and then when road tested, they are not.

I am seeing that members are starting to buy rims and tires for the new rides, so they may have more to share on this.

I am starting to investigate a winter tire package as well, so I am going to be doing some research to see what others' experiences have been.

Very peculiar.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Thanked 1,120 Times in 818 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Wow... Damnedest thing I've ever heard of also.

You could've done just what I've done for the past 14 years between two previous 6's and just run the wheels without the TPMS sensors. From what I understand, it'll act like the previous system did: the light will flash for the first minute, then stay lit, but it should have no effect on any other system.

Here's hoping I don't run into the same shit when I buy my winter wheels/tires. I'm actually leaning toward a set of older Mazda wheels also...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I can only offer my opinion which probably isn't going to help but if a tire is balanced, it's balanced. Putting the tire on a different car doesn't change that. Having or not having sensors doesn't make a difference, if it is balanced. Just shouldn't be happening.

I would suggest going somewhere else and have them balance a set or at least the two up front, if that doesn't work take the sensors out of the two fronts and then balance. I guess it could be possible that being as the other rims don't normally or were manufactured not to have the sensors mounted inside that maybe somehow they don't sit right and rub/move/flap around somehow. Never heard of something like that but then I've never heard of rims that balance and act up the way yours are.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I remember you stating in one of your first posts that you installed spacers on each corner, have you tried mounting the 15 wheels on your car without them to see if perhaps those might be a factor? If the wheels are true and not bent, and the balancer shows the wheel/tire balanced, that's the only other thing I can think of that might cause the issue.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate the insight.

The only thing we didn't try was switching out the valve stems. I was so frustrated after 4 hours of back and forth I just said screw it and put the stock wheels back on. I don't dislike the stock wheels - they're quite dynamic and I really like the finish on them - I had just intended on using them as winter wheels.

So it'll be a little while, but I will be buying winter tires later in the year, so there will be much more to come on this subject once I get to that point. The Service manager and myself agreed that we'd set a day aside to go through all the trial and error testing again knowing what we're getting in to. I surely won't be the only customer that wants a winter set of wheels/tires, so he's gonna do it all for free so he can accurately sell the packages to other customers too. So I guess something good came from this. haha.

I'll revive this thread down the road once it's all figured out.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
It seems the only issue is trying to use pre 2018 factory rims on the 2018 with sensors mounted in the tire.

I installed aftermarket rims with the sensors mounted in the tire and have zero issues. The '18 rims obviously mount up with the sensors and don't have a problem so it's the factory rims pre '18 mounted up with sensors that seems to be the problem, which obviously doesn't makes sense.

It'll be interesting to see where the problem lies.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
It seems the only issue is trying to use pre 2018 factory rims on the 2018 with sensors mounted in the tire.

I installed aftermarket rims with the sensors mounted in the tire and have zero issues. The '18 rims obviously mount up with the sensors and don't have a problem so it's the factory rims pre '18 mounted up with sensors that seems to be the problem, which obviously doesn't makes sense.

It'll be interesting to see where the problem lies.
Thanks for that feedback. That's actually really helpful. I'll definitely take my time with this come winter time to get a fair assessment.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzy J View Post
Thanks for that feedback. That's actually really helpful. I'll definitely take my time with this come winter time to get a fair assessment.

Wonder how this will all work with the Mazda accessory wheels that are available at the dealer?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
Wonder how this will all work with the Mazda accessory wheels that are available at the dealer?

My exact thoughts. I have the gloss gunmetal M011s which I was considering putting 245/40 rubber on for the summer time, but naturally I'm rethinking that based on my latest experience. It'll certainly be interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

Since the accessory wheels were not designed for a specific TPMS system - as they're marketed to multiple Mazda generations employing different systems - I am hopeful. I just don't know that I was to spend $700+ in the future to guess and check and be stuck with tires and wheels that I can't use....

Again, we'll see how it all plays out...

To be clear, when I say accessory wheels, I'm talking about these:

https://mazdashop.ca/collections/wheels

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page