Replacements for the so/so OEM Tires - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacements for the so/so OEM Tires

Unless I have no idea where I should be looking, which I think is likely. I couldn't find this subject for the Gen 3.

I realize that tires, like shoes, can be subjective. I have a 2016 Touring with several CorkSport upgrades. Strut Tower Brace, Rear Sway Bar, Intake with the cold air box, and the Corksport exhaust.

Suffice to say, this is a very lively Gen 3. I am sure that as time goes on, I will find some more power..........

That said, the car feels pretty well balanced and is just fun to drive, but most of you know the complaints about the OEM Dunlops. They are a bit err..........rumbly and they don't wear well and while they do have some grip, the car can absolutely handle more.

I am looking for a little more grip, a smoother ride (it doesn't have to be a Town Car, just a little smoother and quieter) and the ability to last more than 30,000 miles. I think that I am around 19,400 miles and expect maybe.........maybe another 7 to 10k max out of them. I live in Florida so, rainy season is about 90 or so days away, so I am leaning towards making a move by the end of may. Obviously, snow performance is irrelevant, but good rain traction would be helpful.

I am not looking for Walmart specials, but not married to any name brand. I will pay for quality, but my budget is not unlimited.

Like I said when I opened, I realize that this can be pretty subjective, I am looking for some opinions and maybe some experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Gregg
kufliclicks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 I Touring Sunroof/Bose in Blue Reflex Mica
Full LEDs/HID Fogs and Low beams. CorkSport Intake with Cold Air Box, CorkSport Exhaust, CorkSport Strut Tower Brace and CorkSport Rear Sway Bar. Michelin Sport Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Whats your price range? You looking for all season tires or summer tires?

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Groans: 45
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a big fan of Conti's ExtremeContact DWS 06's for an all-season tire. Ran two sets of these on my 6 over the years.
RedBluff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Here's the link to the 225/45-19 offerings on Tire Rack...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

There are not a huge selection of tires in this size, but there are some good ones. Read up on ratings, tests, and reviews...its a great source of info.

Personally...Conti DWS is a solid choice, Michelin's Pilot A/S 3+ is top of the line - if you have the cash, and the BF Goodrich has been getting great reviews and is priced right. These are all All-Season High Performance tires. There are some summer tires listed too, but I'm not familiar with them.

Good luck.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires

Orange Virus Tune-91-octane/Racing Beat rear muffler

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Bobmugen,
I am really looking for value, so I don't want budget specials, but the price range is not unlimited. I am thinking around a grand or so installed. For a great tire, I might spend a few bucks more..., maybe 1300ish. I wouldn't mind 800 installed either if it is a good tire. As I said, I live in Florida. Snow is a NON-issue. We do have a rainy season, so good rain traction is important. Pure grip is not the only goal. I want them to last a reasonable amount of time....., and I think, like many folks that the OEM tire isn't great for ride quality and can definitely be improved on.

Thanks.

Full LEDs/HID Fogs and Low beams. CorkSport Intake with Cold Air Box, CorkSport Exhaust, CorkSport Strut Tower Brace and CorkSport Rear Sway Bar. Michelin Sport Tires

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Chuckie,

I have looked closely at those. What kind of mileage life have you gotten? Would you consider yourself an enthusiastic driver or more conservative?

The Following User Says Thank You to Konagregg For This Useful Post:
vonbimmerman (07-30-2017)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

JCME0557,

I have looked at Tire Rack and several other sites too. I like what I have read about both the Contis and the Michelins .

A friend suggested that I look at those bf Goodrichs as well. I will look more closely.

What I have hoped in posting this is to get feedback from folks with the same car rather than just the general public.

A tire that works well on an Altima, may feel awful on an Optima. I am hoping for some real world experience with the Gen 3 6.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I have the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my wife's 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe. Simply an outstanding tire in the dry and monsoons of south east Texas!

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Funny, I was about to start a thread like this. I have four choices:

Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (W or Y); Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06; Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus; or BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.
You're looking at about a total of a grand for the Mich, 800 for the BFG or Pirelli, or 750 for the Contis, mounted and balanced, at Discount Tire.

At this point I'm trending to the Pirellis or Contis. I like the BFG, CR says they're kind of noisy. They do well in the snow, for what they are.

I should take delivery of my Maz6 today. But tire tests are generally transferrable car to car, they're not that different. TR unfortunately does most of their tests on BMWs but I trust their results. The only other outfit I know of that tests tires as extensively is Consumer Reports.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Groans: 7
I've purchased virtually all my tires over the last 20 years from Tire Rack, but recently I fitted a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ from Costco at $863 all in. That's tires, mount & balance, disposal, and 5.5% Wisconsin tax. Don't have enough miles on them yet to really evaluate, but how could they not be 10 times better than the POS Dunlop's that Mazda provides?
jayrod88 and Konagregg like this.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you."

Last edited by SVShootingStar; 03-25-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page