A/S tire choices for 2014 Mazda6 - thoughts / my research - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
So, I like to stick with TR for our tire purchases, and have been very satisfied so far.

Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 has 35k miles right now, and the OE Dunlops (summers) are terrible in wet weather and wife complained several times how bad they hyrdoplane, and overall bad in rain. Dry weather performance is good. I have had horrible experiences with them in rain, so I can confirm wife's info.

Anyway, before winter starts, I am thinking of replacing them with a good A/S tire (Don't need TOP of the line, but want "good" bang for the buck).

Due to the weird size, not many available but one of the new tires that I have been very interested in / been curious about, General GMax AS03 is one them

So, I thought I'd post all A/S choices for this car on TR, and then post a direct TR survey comparo of the OE (Current) Dunlops VS the Gmax below:

FIRST, THE 7 CHOICES (A/S). (2 pics):

NOW the OE Dunlop Survey VS the GMax:
(Pay attn to wet weather performance differences)

DUNLOP:

GMAX:

The Gmax, with a smaller price, beats the Dunlops out of the water, at least according to the surveys, IMO. I am very inclined to go with them.

2 more pics of Gmax tests vs some other tires:

Should I go with the Gmax AS03 ?
Just went on a test drive with a friend. He's looking to buy 2011 BMW 335d. 67k miles have led to the tires being replaced with AS/3s. They're horribly loud. Horribly. Loud. I'd go with advan sports. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
look forward to a longer term review from @jsouth. those are top of list for replacements.

I had Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum on my benz 300E which was heavier in san francisco- worked great in the damp conditions, and had no issues in AZ commuting in the summer w/ heat and monsoons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

post #43 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Cool Duro EVOs, anyone?

A shame that the tires available to us for the stock wheel have such a small field of (pricey) candidates. I (thought I) heard that 245/35 R19 can fit, but barely, and are NOT recommended. Since that was the case I decided to upgrade to 20s. The tires I have on now are an A/S Tire w/ a 480 Treadwear Rating and Traction / Temperature of AA/A. They are called DURO DP8100 Performa EVO, and my first impressions are they are AWESOME! They look more expensive than they are and have a WONDERFULLY Aggressive-looking Tread pattern. They grip effortlessly on dry roads, and add significant stability when taking corners. At first I thought noise levels were the same as the Dunlops, however my wife commented on how good the tires felt, and the noise levels seem to be slightly less (especially when I rolled down the window to listen to them). I will UPDATE when the weather changes to wet, and provide my impressions at that time. Also, I got a set of 4 (255/35 R20) for $383.00 w/ Free Shipping from eBay! They appear to be more prominent "across the pond" than here, and had a 5-star customer rating, and ranked #8 in a UK Tire Shootout when I was researching them. So far, so good! I'll keep you guys posted.

All that stated, IF 245/35 R19 can fit on stock wheels w/o a problem, I could easily recommend adding these tires to your short list.

The Following User Says Thank You to OCTOGONPC For This Useful Post:
solar365 (03-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Duro Tire & Wheel an HFA HWA Fong Rubber Company

I don't want chinese tires on my car, sorry Octagon - I hope you have a good experience with them though.
post #45 of 197 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
I just replaced my stock 225/45/19 Dunlop tires with the Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. They are 500% better than the stock! I have about 1000 miles on them so not sure how they will hold up. So far they are great in Dry(9), Wet(8.5) and Snow(7). The tires are quiet(8.5). You do feel a good amount of the bumps on the road but that is because of my 19's (7.5). I would rate them an overall of 8.2. I would recommend them, again just my opinions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilblue For This Useful Post:
2014 Mazda 6 Diesel (06-18-2015), eyedocorlando (04-26-2015)
post #46 of 197 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
My only experience with Yokahama advans is them being heat cycled into rock hard rubber. They made my miata into a beautiful drift car. LoL

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
post #47 of 197 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon2002 View Post
How do you like the Kumho's so far? How do they compare to the Dunlops? Any balancing issues, or anything? Thank you!
Although my wife is the daily driver, we occasionally take that car on road trips with me driving. The Kumho ECSTA LX have been great. Decent grip in snow/ice, as well as rain. Great in dry conditions. Very pleased so far (about 10,000 miles).

2014 Mazda 6 GT
6-speed AT, 107k miles and counting
Weatherford, OK

post #48 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
It's coming up on time to replace my tires as well. I'm at around 33k on the OEM tires and there's still decent tread left, so I'll be replacing them this year. I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 which seems to be the tire to beat, but on TireRack.com I saw the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S yesterday. Reading some brief reviews on this new tire it seems to have all the benefits of the Michelins but at a better cost. (I also didn't know Michelin and BFGoodrich were the same company.) Unfortunately since it's so new the only reviews I've found were a couple on TireRack (they themselves haven't tested it yet) and a BFGoodrich sponsored event when they were announcing and demonstrating the tire on a track. It looks pretty promising! And it would save me some dough too.

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Touring
Track Demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiFbsICs5Tk
post #49 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
It's coming up on time to replace my tires as well. I'm at around 33k on the OEM tires and there's still decent tread left, so I'll be replacing them this year. I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 which seems to be the tire to beat, but on TireRack.com I saw the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S yesterday. Reading some brief reviews on this new tire it seems to have all the benefits of the Michelins but at a better cost. (I also didn't know Michelin and BFGoodrich were the same company.) Unfortunately since it's so new the only reviews I've found were a couple on TireRack (they themselves haven't tested it yet) and a BFGoodrich sponsored event when they were announcing and demonstrating the tire on a track. It looks pretty promising! And it would save me some dough too.

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Touring
Track Demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiFbsICs5Tk
I work for Michelin and you are correct: BFGoodrich is a brand owned by Michelin Group. The same quality standards that are applied to Michelin-brand tires are applied to BFGoodrich-brand tires. You won't be disappointed, I believe, in a BFG tire. Of course, this is my opinion.

2016 6GT in sonic silver metallic with parchment leather and all options except for remote start.
post #50 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifannning View Post
I work for Michelin and you are correct: BFGoodrich is a brand owned by Michelin Group. The same quality standards that are applied to Michelin-brand tires are applied to BFGoodrich-brand tires. You won't be disappointed, I believe, in a BFG tire. Of course, this is my opinion.
Great... that's definitely good to know! I've had BFGoodrich before on my old 98 Avalon, but that of course was a COMPLETELY different type of car . Do you know anything about these new tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page