anyone use 215/40r17's for the front tires? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone use 215/40r17's for the front tires?

so i recently obtained for free a pair of Nexen N5000 215/40r17 tires in near new condition. they were on some lexus wheels someone decided to just throw out. i just so happened to be in desperate need of new tires (its a miracle i didnt have a blowout). so i had these tires installed and with the smaller sidewall obviously they look much nicer on the front. i know it was going to throw my speedometer off a bit, but now my TCS light comes on and occasionally when braking (on the harder side) the ABS wants to kick in too. is there any simple solution to this or am i ultimately going to have to rotate them to the back? Advice anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice9988 View Post
so i recently obtained for free a pair of Nexen N5000 215/40r17 tires in near new condition. they were on some lexus wheels someone decided to just throw out. i just so happened to be in desperate need of new tires (its a miracle i didnt have a blowout). so i had these tires installed and with the smaller sidewall obviously they look much nicer on the front. i know it was going to throw my speedometer off a bit, but now my TCS light comes on and occasionally when braking (on the harder side) the ABS wants to kick in too. is there any simple solution to this or am i ultimately going to have to rotate them to the back? Advice anyone?
Cool. Another person! Im located in Goose Creek and so are at least two other members.

For your question, not really sure how that works but what size are your back tires? I think the main problem would be the tires are different sizes.

I run 215/50r17 all around on the stock rims so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda6 Sport GT,Onyx Black
Mods: Injen SP6072P CAI, 3.7l TB, 3/4" IM spacer, Mazdaspeed 3.0L v6 cat back, EGR Optimization/Re-Route, Transmission Cooler + Inline filter, TB coolant bypass/T replacements, 35 watt 5K HID Low Beams and Fogs

2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe,Obsidian Black, MTX
Mods: Complete Aero Body, Midnight Grill, Lip Spoiler, Tanabe Springs, RJM Clutch Pedal, Stillen Gen3 CAI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

i have 215/50r17 on the back. i just had to fork out a good chunk of change for a new throttle body. i had one of the defective VP3M4U-9E928-AA tb's and ended up buying a brand new 3.7 with a conversion kit. then after all that i needed a new battery. not much left in the wallet for tires after all that so these 215/40r17s are what's gonna have to do. im having to turn my tcs system off every time i drive so it doesnt try to "correct" itself. in overall tire height difference from the 40s to the 50s is a good 1.69" though. throws my speedometer off by about 5-6mph off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Yeah, if all 4 tires were the same size you wouldn't be having the problem. The difference in RPM between the two sizes is confusing the ABS/Trac system.

2004 Mazda 6 V6/MTX, Steel Gray
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinspann View Post
Yeah, if all 4 tires were the same size you wouldn't be having the problem. The difference in RPM between the two sizes is confusing the ABS/Trac system.
This shouldnt be a significant issue should it? im not as concerned about the Trac system as much as the ABS since it affects my braking ability slightly. so far ive noticed that i just need to brake a little lighter and earlier than usual. wondering if it would wear out my brake pads out at a faster rate.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have tired it with my car. If your suspension is still original, not a problem at all. But if you have obtained a suspension upgrade, let say lowering spring or coils. The the front wheels may have some rubbing issues in every full turn you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page