Spacers & Aftermarket Rims - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Spacers & Aftermarket Rims

My Mazda6 has an offset of 55mm and the rims i'm looking at that i'd like to get have an offset of 38mm. I heard that i could get spacers so that rims with a different offset than the car comes stock with will fit.

Will this work? Is there any negative effects of doing this?

Will i need 17mm spacers, like this?

Hubcentric 17mm Wheel Spacers 5x114 3 CB 67mm 12x1 5 Extended Studs | eBay

i'd appreciate any help anyone can give, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't need the exact same offset as OEM specs. I don't really know about 1st gen fitment, but you might be able to fit et +38. If not, a 5 or 10mm spacer would do. It would help if a 1st gen'er could chime in.

I have a 2nd gen with +60 stock. The new wheels I bought are +40 and 2.5in wider, and I have no issues!

2009 Mazda 6i

Blacked out emblems, 35w 6000k HIDs, 2 MTX Terminator 12's, 1200w Kenwood Class D mono amp, Painted headlight internals, Megan Racing M-Spec II muffler, 19" Stance SC6 wrapped in 225/35/19 Federal 595s, H&R Lowering springs, red tinted tails, red interior led swap, rising sun engine cover, red calipers;

Soon to come
;
CS Intake, vinyl roof, tinted windows, D2 coils, vinyl wrap, spectrum silver wheels, fogs;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hold on a second
Spacers will only make the +38 offset situation worse
The lower the offset the more poke the wheels have
So if the offset is too low the only option you have to make them work is rolling your fenders!
Spacers are there to push the wheel out more, so they only work with something higher than what you need and the wheels suck in too much!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
first, you are clearly missing the basics of what "offset" is. Offset is where the hub mounts with relation to the wheel. in that a 7" wide wheel with a 0 offset with have 3.5" in front and behind the wheel. 0 being the center point of the wheel.

a 7" wide wheel with a +25mm( ~1") offset has 4.5" of backspacing and 2.5" of front spacing

a -25mm offset on a 7" wide wheel will get you 4.5" of front spacing, and 2.5" of rear.

on a 8" Wide wheel 4" on either side of the hub, will give you a 0 offset.

it is a calculation to dictate how much back spacing and front spacing you have so that you can figure out clearance between the suspension and also the fender well.

38mm offset only tells me 1/2 of the story because I don't know how wide is.

this a decent chart for reference. my wheels are far different than "OEM SPEC", but with a little measuring you can fit a whole lot more than the lame wheels mazda puts on our cars.

if you can be more specific with you question, we can be a whole lot more help.... and won't have to ramble nearly as much next time

The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
NessaXox (08-02-2013)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

yeah i'm not really an expert on this. this is just what i heard. spacers fill the "space" between the offset of the car and the offset of the rim, if the offset of the rim is smaller. the rims i'm looking at are an offset of +38 and width is 7". and i know rims with +38 offset don't fit because when i bought the car the guy who had it before me had aftermarket rims with a +38 offset and my back tires were rubbing when i turned or went over a bump and my mechanic said the reason is the rims because the offset was too low so they weren't sitting on there right, they were tilted. so i was wondering if there was a way i could get them to fit right and i thought spacers was the trick.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
Offset can only be REDUCED by adding a spacer.

a 38mm + 17mm spacer will give you an effective offset of +21. There is no spacer to make the wheel go Deeper into the wheel well, the spacer moves it OUTWARD, and CLOSER to the fender.

as for a +38 rubbing, you need to ROLL the lip of the Fender and this will no longer happen. The factory fenders have a huge lip to them that isn't rolled from the factory (unlike the fronts which are) and with a simple roll will eliminate all that rubbing issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
NessaXox (08-02-2013)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

ok so the only way to get the rims to fit would be getting the fender rolled? alright, thanks for your help. is there any possible negative effects of getting that done?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessaXox View Post
ok so the only way to get the rims to fit would be getting the fender rolled? alright, thanks for your help. is there any possible negative effects of getting that done?
Fender rolling is tricky for new people
You could mess up the paint around the fender line, crack the paint, get a dent (happened to me and a few others) and if the paint cracks badly enough it will cause rust eventually
If you do, do it then make sure you read up on it and know well what you are doing!
Getting a shop to do it is usually quite expensive, so its your choice

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

yeah if i did go that route, i would deffinitely take it to a shop. i wouldn't attempt it myself. but even with taking it to a shop, i may not wanna chance getting it done if it can possibly cause any other issues.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 PM

The biggest thing is the increased possibly of rust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page