Tire Fitment Help Please / BC Coils + RX8,RPF1 Fitment Question - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 29 Times in 26 Posts
Tire Fitment Help Please / BC Coils + RX8,RPF1 Fitment Question

Hello everyone.

I have a few questions regarding wheel fitment regarding first generation Mazda 6i's.

I have two sets of rims, (the stock 17s, and a pair of 18" RX8 rims.)
Currently the RX8's are running quite well, and have been for many years. There is absolutely no rubbing, and I did not need to roll my fenders.

I am looking into getting BC coilovers very soon, and wonder if the subtle drop that I am looking to produce, will cause the RX8s to start to rub.

Question # 1: Will a subtle (1.5" front) (.5" rear) drop onto BC coils require me to roll my fenders for the stock JDM RX8 18" wheel? I do not wish to roll them. :-/

Things I know:

Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

Stock OEM 17" Dimensions:
17" OEM Mazda 6 5-spoke
5x114.3 17x7 +60mm offset 21.1Lbs

RX8 OEM 18" Dimensions:
18" OEM RX-8 5-spoke
5x114.3 18x8 +50mm offset

***Currently running 235-40-18 on my RX8's on Sumitomo HTRZ III's.
Been running great for a very long time, with no issues.

Here is question # 2:

I am looking to get a pair of Enkei RPF1's. I searched the forum, and noticed that these are not common for the Mazda6. It appears only one individual had them on his car, and as I recall from reading his post, he needed to roll his fenders to prevent them from rubbing.

This may be a noob question, and for that I am sorry, but here goes. I just can’t seem to figure out how wheel dimensions work.

If you can find an ENKEI RPF1 in the same wheel dimension as the stock 17s or stock 18s, and therefore put on the same tire as stock, it will naturally be the same dimension as the stock rims, and will act exactly as those did? Does that make sense? Here I will try again.

So the stock 17s are 5x114.3 17x7 + 60m offset.
The width of the rim is 7 inches across?
The diameter of the rim is 17 inches around?
Don't know what offset is....

Nonetheless: If I found RPF1s in 17inches, with a rim width of 7 (for stock 17s) or 8 inches (for stock RX8s) they should fit without any issues?

If someone could please help me understand, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

-Emmanuel

****Not to jack his picture, but attached is a picture of the guy with the 6 hatch with RPF1s. I am looking to do something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8074932918_0b58e603c0_b.jpg
Views:	1995
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	89801  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K&N Short-Ram Intake
Sport Bumper - Lower Fog Lights

Push Button MX5 Fog Light Button
Redline Shiftboot / Handbrake / Armrest
Magnaflow Dual Catback Exhaust

RX8 18' Rims on Sumitomo's

Stock 17' Rims for Winter Season

Stoptech Centric Slotted Disk Rotors

CX7 Stubby Antenna
50% Tint all around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
On 235's, you will probably need to roll the rear - rolling is easy, don't let this stop you from dropping..

What are you investing in coils for if you're only going to drop .5" though?

RPF1's fit so long as you get a proper offset, but they look like ass on the 6. That's Joel's car you posted, I love Joel but his car looked like a bag of asses on them - those wre 17x9 +35 with 245/40's IIRC.

Andrew |

|
|
|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzoh For This Useful Post:
CretanThreat (08-01-2013)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Thanked 1,215 Times in 860 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
Whats up, Emmanuel?

With a mild drop, you will be fine on the rx8 wheels.

As far as the rpf1's...depending on how wide and how aggressive an offset you get, will determine whether or not you have to roll your fenders.
If you stick with anything 8-8.5 inches wide or less with an offset of 45 or higher, you should be fine.

Also, if you need your fenders rolled, I have a buddy who can do them for a good price. He's done mine and two other of my friends' cars along with countless of other people's cars. He drives a mazdaspeed6, so he is familiar with our cars.

2016 Mustang GT
1997 Jeep ZJ
SOLD:1996 Miata
SOLD: 1967 Chevy C10 Stepside
SOLD: 2006 BCM MS6 GT #00584
CP-E 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust. CP-E TMIC. HTP 3" TIP. Custom 3.5" MAF SRI. SU RMM. SU TP. Forge V1 BPV. Cobb AP. RichTuned. Denso ITV22. PTP HPFP Internals. STi S204 Lip. Megan Racing Springs. XXR 530 18x8.75 +33. VEI Boost Gauge with Block8head pod. Blox Shift Knob.

SOLD:

The Following User Says Thank You to 6Y MAZDA For This Useful Post:
CretanThreat (08-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groaned at 29 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

Could someone please explain the concept of offset for me? That's the part that is confusing for me.

Driz - you stated that with 235s, I might have to roll the rear, why is that? Just trying to understand.

I will probably shoot for an 8" or 7" width on any new rims.

What about RPF1's in the stock 17" size/dimensions. Would they require any modification?

Also, is there a specific tire brand/style that has a "curb protector"? It's like a lip of tire that protects the rim from curb rash. I've seen it on a few cars, but don't know if was just how the tire was manufactured, or if it is actually intended to protect the lip.

I want to get BC's because I want to remove the wheel gap, and ive read that coils are easier to install than spring sets, and typically put less stress on other oem parts if you were to just opt for lowering springs vs. coils. Also, I would like to be able to adjust the height per rims I am using, or per circumstances.

K&N Short-Ram Intake
Sport Bumper - Lower Fog Lights

Push Button MX5 Fog Light Button
Redline Shiftboot / Handbrake / Armrest
Magnaflow Dual Catback Exhaust

RX8 18' Rims on Sumitomo's

Stock 17' Rims for Winter Season

Stoptech Centric Slotted Disk Rotors

CX7 Stubby Antenna
50% Tint all around.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
No roll needed with the RX8s.... the coils will create natural camber if anything, but they will look a tad sunken in if you drop it too much.

the RPF1s will depend entirely on what you buy. Though rolling your fenders will not only allow you buy nicer looking wheels, they nicer looking wheels will improve performance and looks.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Joel was running 17x9 +45 with 245/45/17. That requires a mild pull with how low he was.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CretanThreat View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

Could someone please explain the concept of offset for me? That's the part that is confusing for me.

Driz - you stated that with 235s, I might have to roll the rear, why is that? Just trying to understand.

I will probably shoot for an 8" or 7" width on any new rims.

What about RPF1's in the stock 17" size/dimensions. Would they require any modification?

Also, is there a specific tire brand/style that has a "curb protector"? It's like a lip of tire that protects the rim from curb rash. I've seen it on a few cars, but don't know if was just how the tire was manufactured, or if it is actually intended to protect the lip.

I want to get BC's because I want to remove the wheel gap, and ive read that coils are easier to install than spring sets, and typically put less stress on other oem parts if you were to just opt for lowering springs vs. coils. Also, I would like to be able to adjust the height per rims I am using, or per circumstances.

Offset is just the location of the hub mounting surface (of the wheel itself) in relation to the center of the wheel. A high offset, +60, +55, etc., will be closer to the surface of the wheel. A lower offset, +15, +25, etc., will be closer to the center of the wheel. A lower offset creates more poke, a bigger lip in the wheel.

2009 Mazda 6i

Blacked out emblems, 35w 6000k HIDs, 2 MTX Terminator 12's, 1200w Kenwood Class D mono amp, Painted headlight internals, Megan Racing M-Spec II muffler, 19" Stance SC6 wrapped in 225/35/19 Federal 595s, H&R Lowering springs, red tinted tails, red interior led swap, rising sun engine cover, red calipers;

Soon to come
;
CS Intake, vinyl roof, tinted windows, D2 coils, vinyl wrap, spectrum silver wheels, fogs;

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM
banana boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkreedx View Post
Joel was running 17x9 +45 with 245/45/17. That requires a mild pull with how low he was.
that was on his tire....

that is the exact same amount of "poke" as I'm running and I didn't have any issues.... and my camber is set at .17 IIRC, which is like nothing.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper66 View Post
that was on his tire....

that is the exact same amount of "poke" as I'm running and I didn't have any issues.... and my camber is set at .17 IIRC, which is like nothing.
I am running almost the same specs (3mm more poke) and there is no way a flat roll would be okay. Not at my ride height.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
banana boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkreedx View Post
I am running almost the same specs (3mm more poke) and there is no way a flat roll would be okay. Not at my ride height.
idk man, We have had this discussion before....

are you running a 245 series tire too? I'm running a 215 which may account for a lot of it, but hell, I can run 20mm spacers all around w/o issue either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in