Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko??? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko???

Hey all!

I am in need of new tires very soon. I am been researching for months and almost thought I had decided, but then I think of something else.

I have a wagon that is currently on factory shocks/springs. I am looking at upgrading to Mazdaspeed springs and GR2 shocks relatively soon (possibly during the summer), so I am looking for something that would complement the more aggressive stance/ride.

I do have kids, so comfort and noise is obviously a concern, but I do like to have the occasional spout of aggressive driving. That being said, the wifey's vehicle is the primary mode of transportation. However, mine does gets the occasional long road trip (i.e. 1,500 miles once or twice a year).

People on this forum seem to really like the Conti DWS (which I almost broke down and bought a few months ago, but second guessed myself).

I feel like I am more inclined to go with a performance tire, but...then I was looking at the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I started thinking about having a quiet ride. I mean, after all, most high end BMW and Mercedes use these...there must be some performance there...

Now I am looking at the Kumho Ecsta LE Sports, Yoko YK580, the DWS/DW still, and now the BFG G-force Comp-2s. As you can see I am all over the place!

I do have a set of winters mounted on steelies for when the going gets touch. Because of this, I am leaning more towards summers, but am not against all-seasons due to mileage warranties.

Does anyone with a lowered wagon have a recommendation? Has anyone used any of these that I have mentioned? Any others that I should check out? Thanks.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko???

I have a set of bridgestone potenza re760 sports which are going on in the spring. I read many great reviews & know a few local 6'ers who have them & had good things to say. I suggest looking into those also.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
---
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Re: Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smoke View Post
I have a set of bridgestone potenza re760 sports which are going on in the spring. I read many great reviews & know a few local 6'ers who have them & had good things to say. I suggest looking into those also.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Now you have me looking seriously into these! Have you driven on them before? The reviews are mostly good, but there are a few that make me question the tire.

The tread pattern is quite distinct. It almost looks like they should be directional.

They seem to be a really great value overall...decisions, decisions...

Anyone else running these? Any thoughts?

2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon
-5k DDM Tuning HIDs
-Sport Grill
-CX7 antenna
-OEM Auto-dimming Mirror
-Everything else, bone stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If you have dedicated winter wheels, then you could get a high-performance summer tire. This would come with the reduced tread life tradeoff of course. If it were me, I would look for a tire with good all-season capabilities, good performance characteristics, and decent tread life. I won't solicit any advice for tires I have not personally used. Based on that, I can recommend either Goodyear Eagle GT or Pirelli P Zero Nero. I have used both of these models and I thought they both had really good performance for daily driver status and wore very well. The Pirellis seemed to have a slightly stiffer sidewall, so the cornering felt a little more direct. Both tires have unidirectional tread pattern so they can be rotated easily.

Oh yeah, I should specify: The Pirellis were used on my old MSP and the Eagle GTs are on my MS6 currently. I don't have a wagon, but my MS6 has a similar added rear end weight because of the AWD.

2006 Velocity Red Mica MS6 #06475

1994 Probe GT

The Following User Says Thank You to prdracing For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (04-19-2013)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdracing View Post
If you have dedicated winter wheels, then you could get a high-performance summer tire. This would come with the reduced tread life tradeoff of course. If it were me, I would look for a tire with good all-season capabilities, good performance characteristics, and decent tread life. I won't solicit any advice for tires I have not personally used. Based on that, I can recommend either Goodyear Eagle GT or Pirelli P Zero Nero. I have used both of these models and I thought they both had really good performance for daily driver status and wore very well. The Pirellis seemed to have a slightly stiffer sidewall, so the cornering felt a little more direct. Both tires have unidirectional tread pattern so they can be rotated easily.

Oh yeah, I should specify: The Pirellis were used on my old MSP and the Eagle GTs are on my MS6 currently. I don't have a wagon, but my MS6 has a similar added rear end weight because of the AWD.
I has the Eagle GTs on a prior vehicle and loved them. After I had a set of summer tires on my 3 a few years ago I noticed that they were so much more responsive (and they were cheap no-name tires too). This is why I am leaning towards summers.

Treadlife is a concern, but it isn't my top priority. If I can get 20-25k out of tires I would be okay.

The Pirellis are enticing, but too expensive.

2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon
-5k DDM Tuning HIDs
-Sport Grill
-CX7 antenna
-OEM Auto-dimming Mirror
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Groans: 1
I'm very happy with my Hankook Ventus V4. Had Kumho Ecstas previously and they very very noisy.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring MeteorGray 6-speedMT
2004 Mazda 6s LapisBlue 5-speedMT - sold

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Yeah I know the Pirellis are pricey Once in a while, you can score a deal with a rebate and use Discount Tire to get free shipping and then it pays off.

2006 Velocity Red Mica MS6 #06475

1994 Probe GT

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziko98 View Post
I'm very happy with my Hankook Ventus V4. Had Kumho Ecstas previously and they very very noisy.
I had Kumhos on my wife's SUV and hated them, which is why I am hesitant about the LE Sports. They were super noisy too.

I also had the same Ventus on my 3 for a while too and they werent much better. Maybe I just have bad luck with tires...

Funny thing is most of these tires get good reviews!

2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon
-5k DDM Tuning HIDs
-Sport Grill
-CX7 antenna
-OEM Auto-dimming Mirror
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tires for the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by APudysz View Post
Hey all!

I am in need of new tires very soon. I am been researching for months and almost thought I had decided, but then I think of something else.

I have a wagon that is currently on factory shocks/springs.
We have owned a 2004 Mazda6S wagon since the spring of 2006, and have put a lot of miles on it, mostly spirited driving. We live west of the Cascade Range in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot; therefore, soon after we purchased the car, seven years ago, we really had no reasonable alternative but to threw away the OEM all-season tires, even though they still had a lot of tread depth on them, because on wet roads, all all-season tires are dangerous.

Does it rain frequently where you are? Then narrow your selection to tires that were not designed with tread compounds that intentionally retain water on the tread, i.e., all-season tires, that employ a hydrophilic (water-loving) tread compound to enable the tread to stick to snow. The safe way to drive on wet roads is to drive on tires that evacuate as much water as possible from the interface between tread and pavement; but all-season tires are intentionally designed to do exactly the opposite.

We have had several exotic and expensive tires on the wagon over the years that we have owned it, some more successful than others. For pure bang for the buck, you could hardly do better than the Hankook Ventus V12 tires. We had a really good run with those. We also had a good, if short, run with Yokohama ADVAN Sport tires. Excellent handling, excellent braking, short life. Goodyear F1 Asymmetric? Meh. Not bad. Similarly, Pirelli P Zero Nero. Both the Pirellis and the Goodyears were satisfactory, but not exceptional. The much less expensive Hankooks were the equal of both, but from a performance standpoint at least a notch below the ADVAN Sports.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW were a major disappointment. They have single-ply carcass construction ("sidewall plies" in UTQG-speak): strike one; and that single ply is polyester: strike two. We have had SIDEWALL failure with the Contis. Trust me: you do not want your tires to suffer sidewall failures. Stay away.

The BEST overall tires that we have had on the wagon were -- are, as they are on it now -- Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tires. (The Dunlop nomenclature can be confusing: you need all of the qualifiers, all the way to the TT, because Dunlop has several similarly named tires.) The 'TTs have two rayon plies in the carcass; rayon is better than polyester in every way: check out just about any major manufacturer of high performance tires and you will see that the top of the top of the line tires of that manufacturer are built around rayon. And two plies in the sidewall are better than one. We can commend the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tires without reservation.

Last edited by posttosh; 01-29-2013 at 07:01 AM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

More options to consider!

Thanks to everyone who has posted and shared your thought. It is much obliged!

I was pretty much sold on the Bridgestone RE760s (thanks to Mr. Smoke!) due to their unique tread pattern and phenomenal reviews. I love that they are summer and, as most reviewers say, quite sticky and are pretty quiet.

Today I started doing some more research and I considered switching the size of the tire to give me more options (bad thing to do...the more I have the longer it takes!). I was looking first at keeping the stock 215/50/17 size, but it seems that it is pretty common for 6ers to go to 225/50/17.

And I go back to the, "I am married with two kids and lots of bills...I need to get something that will last, be a quiet, softer ride, but still have most of the performance that I am looking for..." Enter all seasons to the equation again...

I love Dunlop tires (I have Signature CS on the wife's SUV as previously stated, have a set of SP Wintersport 3Ds for the winter). They have served me well many-a-times, especially in the winter! I now have the option of SP Sport Signatures for around $130 a piece on TireRack.

Relatively good reviews, TireRack tests them just about as good as the Pirelli P Zero All Season (which I am also considering), and I can be very loyal to the brand I love!

Then I looked at the normally expensive P Zeros. In the 215/50 size they are about $150, but in 225/50 they are the same price as the SP Sport Signatures!

I have been noticing many MS3 and MS6s in parking lots and such have these and they look great. If so many have them, they must be good, right?

Does anyone have any experiences with either of these? How about the larger tire size? Anything else that I am missing?

Thanks.

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page