Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko??? - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally getting the Hankooks on my car around June when money rolls in.

I have some off-brand all season tires and they are noisy as F***, otherwise they perform ok, I guess.

(had to get them RIGHT away when the OEM Michellins wore out and started losing air, I had been putting it off and didn't have time to investigate tires then due to money)

Never again with off-brand tires.

Just to reconfirm, is everyone in agreement from their experience here that the Hankook V12 Evos are quiet and smooth in general?

Thanks ahead of time.

Bye.

2008 Mazda 6i VE Onyx Black

My wife wonders why I like Mazdas so much. If she only had one, she wouldn't need to ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gumby; 04-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFiber View Post
Thank you for this thoughtful and educational response. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier, as I'm used to other message boards where I receive an email if someone responds. In any case, I haven't made a decision yet, but everyone has given me food for thought. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me.

After reading what you wrote, I am wondering, do you have a favorite that I can just leave on? I admittedly do not change my tires according to the seasons, but now know not to trust the all season tires. Or do you completely recommend against picking a set and leaving them on? (I'm thinking storage for one, as well as $$$)
We live in Portland, Oregon, where we get, in an average year, maybe two or three days of snow; but we get something like 150 days a year with some rain. So I run tires year around that are excellent on dry roads and wet roads; but when it snows, the car stays in the garage. That also keeps me out of the gunsights of other drivers here who have little experience driving on snow and who foolishly think that "all season" tires will give them braking on snow equal to braking on dry pavement. When you are stopped in traffic, and another guy with no braking control is sliding towards you at 40 mph, it makes no difference what tires you have on your car: you're going to get hit.

If we lived in an area that regularly gets snow, and I felt that I would have to drive on some snowy days, I would have a second set of wheels with Hankook Ice Bears mounted, and run those wheels from Thanksgiving through St. Patrick's Day.

Our practice of not driving at all on snowy days may or may not be an option where you live. We currently are running Continental ExtremeContact DW tires at the front positions -- I do not recommend that tire -- and Dunlop SP Sport MAXX TT tires at the rear, which I can recommend without reservation. I look forward to the time when the Contis are worn out, when I shall move the rear tires to the front and install a pair of the Dunlops (or their replacement "RT") on the rear.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
We live in Portland, Oregon, where we get, in an average year, maybe two or three days of snow; but we get something like 150 days a year with some rain. So I run tires year around that are excellent on dry roads and wet roads; but when it snows, the car stays in the garage. That also keeps me out of the gunsights of other drivers here who have little experience driving on snow and who foolishly think that "all season" tires will give them braking on snow equal to braking on dry pavement. When you are stopped in traffic, and another guy with no braking control is sliding towards you at 40 mph, it makes no difference what tires you have on your car: you're going to get hit.

If we lived in an area that regularly gets snow, and I felt that I would have to drive on some snowy days, I would have a second set of wheels with Hankook Ice Bears mounted, and run those wheels from Thanksgiving through St. Patrick's Day.

Our practice of not driving at all on snowy days may or may not be an option where you live. We currently are running Continental ExtremeContact DW tires at the front positions -- I do not recommend that tire -- and Dunlop SP Sport MAXX TT tires at the rear, which I can recommend without reservation. I look forward to the time when the Contis are worn out, when I shall move the rear tires to the front and install a pair of the Dunlops (or their replacement "RT") on the rear.
Thanks again for your suggestions and information. I haven't made a decision yet, but I certainly have a better idea of what to look for. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Just to reconfirm, is everyone in agreement from their experience here that the Hankook V12 Evos are quiet and smooth in general?
That has been my experience, quiet and smooth. Make sure to stay on top of your rotations though. Having not rotated enough, fronts are now looking pretty rough, you should do them at least every 7k miles.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD 225/255 Pilot Super Sports, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold and Manifold Spacer.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is exactly what I needed. Thanks everyone for contributing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page