Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko??? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by APudysz View Post
What size are running? You on stock wheels?
Stock wheels, yes. Well stock to an '06, my dad and I traded when I went to the Hankooks; my tires had more tread than his and he needed replacements. I just run them in stock size too, 215/50R17. I understand you on Hankooks though, I had a set of the high mileage all-seasons for my prior Intrigue and aside from being reliable they were unremarkable in every way. Also they tended to flat spot after being parked for any more than an hour when the temps were 50 or below too, made the first mile of every winter drive a lumpy mess. The V12's have been much better though, they don't do the temporary flat spot at all and have been reliable. They came to my attention through a Car & Driver article where they placed second overall against other UHP's like the PS2, mainly on their wet performance. I probably won't get them again because tire design does not sit still, and I want something with a stiffer sidewall.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD 225/255 Pilot Super Sports, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold and Manifold Spacer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Those were my first choice until I saw how expensive they are!

Tirerack is showing the replacement for the TTs the Sport Maxx RT right around $130. They won't be in stock for a few weeks, but I think that's what I gonna get.
Yeah, both of those seem expensive when my Hankooks are about $100/each and Sumitomo HTR ZIII are even less than that. I'd probably get the higher load 225's, and at $138 a piece that isn't far off Pilot Super Sports, a tire that keeps coming to my head as I think about replacements.

*eidt* Time for one of the car rags to do a giant tire comparison!

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD 225/255 Pilot Super Sports, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold and Manifold Spacer.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Of the sizes that you have run, which do you think was the best comprimise of all that you were looking for? I am between the 225/45 and the 225/50 personally. The 215/50 doesn't make sense to me because I can get a better quality tire for less money in the other sizes.
The stock 215/50 size probably has been the most satisfactory, and the 225/50 the least satisfactory, because of the rubbing issues I noted earlier and speedometer/odometer/gearing discrepancies when they are mounted at the front end. The 225/45 size is pretty much a wash with the 215/50, but -- as you note -- it is widely available because of it has been OEM on the BMW 3 series. A 225/45 will give you just a tad lower gearing, but -- if you gauge your mileage by the odometer -- it will give you good gas mileage, because your odometer will run a bit fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
On stock wheels (17x7, I think)? Those were my top choice for quite a while...

Now these Dunlops are: Dunlop*Sport Maxx RT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Im on 17x8 wheels.. I love the RE760 though. pretty quiet, lots of grip in wet and dry. I read reviews on them the other night and was so confused lol. Some people were complaining that the RE760 wasnt a good tire in the snow? lmao.

Wheel gap is like a vagina… The more fingers you can fit, the worse it is.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on my 4th set of Yokohoma AS530 (I think the first set or 2 were AS420 before they replaced that model with the AS530) on my 2004 6s in the stock 215/50R17 size (257,000 miles on my car).

I do 100 miles a day of mostly Interstate driving and have been happy with the longevity and wet weather performance at speed even near replacement time.

Scott

2004 Mazda 6s GT MTX sports package
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Im on 17x8 wheels.. I love the RE760 though. pretty quiet, lots of grip in wet and dry. I read reviews on them the other night and was so confused lol. Some people were complaining that the RE760 wasnt a good tire in the snow? lmao.
I saw that review on TireRack, too! I couldn't believe someone could be so dumb. lol.

The one thing with the 225/45 is that I was reading that the minimum rim width is 7 inches, max was like 8 (I think). The 225/15 and 225/50 are okay from 6.5-8.5 or something similar.

My stockers are the 7 inch, so it would be the minimum for the 45 series. Someone said that it wasn't a good idea to put a wider tire on the minimum recommended rim width. This has made me lead more towards the 50s...but prices on the 45s are better and there are more options (which actually hurts me, because I consider absolutely everything!).

Bridgestone or Dunlop???? Which size???? ...these are the questions now... If I got the Dunlops, then all my tires for mine and my wife's car would match and I would continue my brand loyatly...hmmmmm.....
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The one thing with the 225/45 is that I was reading that the minimum rim width is 7 inches, max was like 8 (I think). The 225/15 and 225/50 are okay from 6.5-8.5 or something similar.

My stockers are the 7 inch, so it would be the minimum for the 45 series. Someone said that it wasn't a good idea to put a wider tire on the minimum recommended rim width.
A 7" rim is within the range specified for a 225/45R17 tire; that is all you need to know. The specifications are made with a margin for error. It is physically possible to mount wider tires than that on narrower rims than that: I once had 245 section width tires on 6.5" rims (again, those were within the tire maker's specs for the tire in question). I find it hard to believe myself when I say this, but trust the tire maker to know the tire's capabilities,

Quote:
Bridgestone or Dunlop????
I have close ties to Japan, have lived there for extended periods in the past; most of my family lives there, and I generally get there about once a year. So I generally have a pro-Japanese bias. But I never have warmed up to Bridgestone, which I associate with blandness, much as I associate Toyota with blandness. Among Japanese auto makers, I associate with Mazda because of the zoom-zoom factor, and I like Yokohama tires. But these days I am driving on Dunlop tires (originally Irish, became English, were purchased by Sumitomo, which after the Japanese Bubble burst parted the brand out to various makers; now North American Dunlop is part of GoodYear). As I intimated in an earlier post in this thread, when in doubt, follow the rayon and eschew the polyester.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'm on my 4th set of Yokohoma AS530 (I think the first set or 2 were AS420 before they replaced that model with the AS530) on my 2004 6s in the stock 215/50R17 size (257,000 miles on my car).

I do 100 miles a day of mostly Interstate driving and have been happy with the longevity and wet weather performance at speed even near replacement time.

Scott
257k???!!! Wow!!! That is awesome!

I haven't had Yokohama yet, but I have heard some great things about them...
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
But I never have warmed up to Bridgestone, which I associate with blandness, much as I associate Toyota with blandness. Among Japanese auto makers, I associate with Mazda because of the zoom-zoom factor, and I like Yokohama tires. But these days I am driving on Dunlop tires (originally Irish, became English, were purchased by Sumitomo, which after the Japanese Bubble burst parted the brand out to various makers; now North American Dunlop is part of GoodYear). As I intimated in an earlier post in this thread, when in doubt, follow the rayon and eschew the polyester.
I have the same mentality about Toyota! Although it is a great [boring] car, I think the Camry soiled Toyota forever...they enjoy making boring, bland, good cars...lol. They couldn't even keep the FR-S under their own nameplate!

So, I take it you would go for the Dunlops, too, huh?

I wasn't aware that Dunlop has been transplanted so many times...I did know that Goodyear currently owns them...
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
So, I take it you would go for the Dunlops, too, huh?
Almost always, the tire with a rayon carcass is a better tire than the tire with a polyester carcass.

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Dunlop has been transplanted so many times...I did know that Goodyear currently owns them...
Goodyear controls and uses the Dunlop brand in North America, Australia, and Europe. In Japan and much of eastern Asia, Sumitomo, which bought the Dunlop company several decades ago, continues to produce and market tires under the Dunlop brand; certainly, Goodyear and Sumitomo have agreements in place to protect the value of the trademark that both of them use, but whether either is a licensor to the other, I do not know. A different company, Apollo Tyres, produces Dunlop brand tires in India.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page