Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko??? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko???

Well im glad that you gave my suggestion serious consideration. Decisions, decisions huh!!

Switching to a 225 is something you can do if you wish. A slightly wider tire will offer more grip during the summer but is undesirable in the winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Recommened tires for the wagon? Kumho, Bridgestone, BFG, Conti, Yoko???

Still looking guys...

Is anyone running 225/45/17? I just started looking yesterday and there are tons more options at better prices (i.e. cheaper!) than the 215/50 or even the 225/50. I guess it's because it is a more common size...

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APudysz View Post
Still looking guys...

Is anyone running 225/45/17? I just started looking yesterday and there are tons more options at better prices (i.e. cheaper!) than the 215/50 or even the 225/50. I guess it's because it is a more common size...
We have run:
o 215/50R17
o 225/45R17
o 225/50R17
o 205/55R17

... tires at various times on our 2004 wagon. The 225/50s sometimes rubbed against the front upper control arms at extreme turns of the steering wheel, but that may have been caused by the profile of the specific brand and model of tire rather than the size. The 205/55s gave the same speedometer/odometer readings as the 215/50s, and the 245/45s ran a tad fast. But -- because of the granularity of tire sizes (there are no 210/50 sizes or 215/47 sizes: everything is in multiples of five) -- there will be variations in diameter even among tires of nominally identical size; and of course every tire's diameter decreases as wear reduces tread depth.

Again, I suggest that, as a family man, you should consider all-season tires only if you plan never to drive in the rain. Two to four car lengths' stopping disadvantage (vs. non-all-season tires) from highway speeds might not sound like a lot, but what if the washed-out bridge or the toddler who wandered onto the highway is in those last two car lengths that your all-season tires took you to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I quite like my Hankook Ventus V12 summer set. They are as quiet and comfortable as an average all season. I have about 20k on them and they are wearing decently for the driving style. I have two wheels with some lumps on them, so these tires do not get rotated often as it requires a remount to keep the not so round wheels on the back. That said, the current fronts are not even to the wet bar yet and they are noticeably more worn than the current rears. I am most likely to mix it up on my next tire set, either go with Sumitomo HTR ZIII (rated very similarly) or something more aggressive like a Hankook Ventus R-S3. Whatever I get needs to match or beat the V12's wet weather performance while balancing dry grip.

*edit*Part of the reason for getting the V12's was their wet weather performance, I would recommend a UHP or max performance summer tire just on the grounds of how much better they handle rain.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD 225/255 Pilot Super Sports, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold and Manifold Spacer.

Last edited by Sydtron; 03-23-2013 at 07:37 PM.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APudysz View Post
Still looking guys...

I have 225/45/17 RE760 tires.

Wheel gap is like a vagina… The more fingers you can fit, the worse it is.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
Hankook Ventus V12 ... That said, the current fronts are not even to the wet bar yet and they are noticeably more worn than the current rears.

*edit*Part of the reason for getting the V12's was their wet weather performance, I would recommend a UHP or max performance summer tire just on the grounds of how much better they handle rain.
Among the many tires that we have had on our wagon were a pair of Hankook Ventus V12s, which -- unusually for us -- we ran only at the front; we never had them at the rear. (We tend to buy tires in pairs, mount the new tires on the rear, and move the formerly rear tires to the front, where we run them until they wear out; that is the extent of our "rotation.") There is some water dispersal advantage to a directional tread design (such as the V12's) mounted at the front, but no advantage at the rear, when the tires will be running in the tracks cleared by the front tires a small fraction of a second before. OTOH, asymmetric tires make sense at all four positions, as the inner and outer sidewalls of a tire have different tasks in lateral acceleration.

Back to the V12s: ours wore better than other tires we have run that had the same UTQG Treadwear rating. Also -- and we may have just been lucky with our specific pair -- the V12s required less compensatory weights on the wheel than most other tires we have mounted have required, and, throughout their entire life, the V12s never leaked any air. All tires leak some air, of course, but we check all of our tires every two weeks or so, and we very rarely had to add any compensatory air to the V12s to keep them right where we want them (34.5 psi to 35 psi for the rear tires, 36.5 psi to 37 psi for the fronts). All in all, the V12 was a satisfactory tire for us, and certainly a bargain at its price.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tires now mounted at the rear are perhaps the best tires we have had on this wagon -- and that is saying a lot, because, among the tires that we have mounted are included some exotic (and expensive) Yokohama ADVAN Sports, which are fantastic handlers, but wear very rapidly.

In over five decades of driving, where I have had literally hundreds of tires on my cars, we have had only four tires that failed in the sidewall; three of those four were Continentals, the most recent being a Continental ExtremeContact DW that failed on us this past summer with only about 1,000 miles on it. Even with the number of tires that we have run over the years, we comprise a small sample, so such statistics are anecdotal only; but I finally have learned my lesson: the replacement tire that I bought last summer to replace the ExtremeContact DW was another DW, to match the other almost-new tire across the axle, but it will be the last Conti I ever buy. The DW is built around a casing ("sidewall ply" in DOT-speak) of a single layer of polyester, which makes it supple and weak. In contrast, the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT uses a two-ply carcass construction -- and the material is rayon, which is superior to polyester both in strength and linearity over a wide temperature range. The only reason any tire maker would use polyester for the casing is price -- it is a sign that the tire maker is cheaping out on you, just as a Macpherson strut front suspension tells you that the car maker would rather save $5 in the construction of the car than give you a superior double-wishbone link.

Last edited by posttosh; 03-24-2013 at 07:15 AM.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
We have run:
o 215/50R17
o 225/45R17
o 225/50R17
o 205/55R17

... tires at various times on our 2004 wagon. The 225/50s sometimes rubbed against the front upper control arms at extreme turns of the steering wheel, but that may have been caused by the profile of the specific brand and model of tire rather than the size. The 205/55s gave the same speedometer/odometer readings as the 215/50s, and the 245/45s ran a tad fast. But -- because of the granularity of tire sizes (there are no 210/50 sizes or 215/47 sizes: everything is in multiples of five) -- there will be variations in diameter even among tires of nominally identical size; and of course every tire's diameter decreases as wear reduces tread depth.

Again, I suggest that, as a family man, you should consider all-season tires only if you plan never to drive in the rain. Two to four car lengths' stopping disadvantage (vs. non-all-season tires) from highway speeds might not sound like a lot, but what if the washed-out bridge or the toddler who wandered onto the highway is in those last two car lengths that your all-season tires took you to?
Of the sizes that you have run, which do you think was the best comprimise of all that you were looking for? I am between the 225/45 and the 225/50 personally. The 215/50 doesn't make sense to me because I can get a better quality tire for less money in the other sizes.

I am leaning back towards summer again because I am looking at the alternate sizes. Again, I keep thinking about the difference in performance characteristics and I don't know if I want to sacrifice them for the greater longevity that I would get with an all season.

I am currently living in Georgia and think that not driving in the rain is completely unavoidable...

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
I quite like my Hankook Ventus V12 summer set. They are as quiet and comfortable as an average all season. I have about 20k on them and they are wearing decently for the driving style. I have two wheels with some lumps on them, so these tires do not get rotated often as it requires a remount to keep the not so round wheels on the back. That said, the current fronts are not even to the wet bar yet and they are noticeably more worn than the current rears. I am most likely to mix it up on my next tire set, either go with Sumitomo HTR ZIII (rated very similarly) or something more aggressive like a Hankook Ventus R-S3. Whatever I get needs to match or beat the V12's wet weather performance while balancing dry grip.

I personally never had great luck with Hankook tires and will probably never buy another set.

I am glad that you have had great luck with them, though. Sucks that you have to keep remounting them...

Again, I am more inclinded to something that will get great in the rain too...not worried about the winter as I have a winter set (although I may never need it in GA after all...I lived in PA prior and they really helped out).

What size are running? You on stock wheels?

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I have 225/45/17 RE760 tires.
On stock wheels (17x7, I think)? Those were my top choice for quite a while...

Now these Dunlops are: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....leSearch=false

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tires now mounted at the rear are perhaps the best tires we have had on this wagon -- and that is saying a lot, because, among the tires that we have mounted are included some exotic (and expensive) Yokohama ADVAN Sports, which are fantastic handlers, but wear very rapidly.
Those were my first choice until I saw how expensive they are!

Tirerack is showing the replacement for the TTs the Sport Maxx RT right around $130. They won't be in stock for a few weeks, but I think that's what I gonna get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page