MS6 Single Tire Replacement - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
MS6 Single Tire Replacement

My wife hit a pile of spilled lumber in the road and punctured a rear tire. The tires on the car Continental Extreme Contact and have about 15K miles on them, but look perfect. Can I get away with replacing a single rear tire? A friend told me I need to replace at least 2 tires, keeping the old ones on the rear and putting the new ones on the front. Is this correct? We were planning on trading the car in this fall and I don't really want to spend a lot on tires.

'07 Liquid Platinum Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
It is recommended to replace at least two. Drive train problems could still happen in the Speed 6 with all wheel drive. I had two replaced at 8K and started having random drive train jerk problems, the worst case happened at 70 mph on Interstate changing lanes with 3 severe jerks. RPM would be under 3000 RPM. It was a metal clang sound, clutch springs? The all wheel drive system had to have caused it. Only happened a few times in near 30K miles but is unsettling when it happens. Replaced all 4 when worn out 5K ago and have not had it happen again. Car has 35K miles.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Find a shop in your area that can shave tires - I've had the right rear tire replaced twice in as many months on my car, and each time, I've had it shaved to match the other 3 tires.

I asked the Firestone that I go to, and they looked at me like I was crazy - they had no idea what a tire shaver was. It seems most big tire stores don't offer this service. I had to go to a small mom and pop shop near my place.

Do a Google search for tire shaving in your area - you can also check your local Subaru forums, since there are more of those around, people there may already know where to go. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page