post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow tires and rims??

I drive my Mazda 6 thru some of the worst winter conditions NY has to offer (we measure our snowfall in feet).

I have tried two different sets tires (215/50 17: one set of all season radials rated high for snow traction and a dedicated snow tire) and they don't cut it.

Obviously the stock size 215/50 17 is less than ideal for deep snow and ice and a smaller size would be appropriate ex: 205/60 16 but this would also require different rims....

The issue is.... I don't have the $$$$$$$ to invest in yet another set of tires not to mention tires plus rims...I sold the goodyears and run my studless snows all year (yeah not great for the tire but i also don't spend and extra $200 per year getting put them on and off)

Tire rack quotes their cheapest set of studded snows with rims for $612 plus shipping...and while that may be reasonable...i can't afford it : (

any thoughts or suggestions? (besides buy a winter rat) a source for less expensive tires and rim combos??

thanks in advance ...m6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Thanked 1,168 Times in 855 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
From one NYer to another, I know ALL about the snow!

I'd suggest looking into getting a set of used 16" rims from a Mazda3, 5, or 6. They all fit without issue, and can be found for cheaper than a set of steelies. Craigslist or the local used auto parts places are a good place to start.

Whatever you do, do NOT cheap out on the tires. Always get a brand-new set or ones that are lightly used. And yes, 205/60-16 is the size to stick with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

yep you know it..i see you are in syracuse..i am in watertown..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

i don't suppose you know what the rim specs for the 16" rim? ie offset, bolt pattern etc?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Mazda Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007mazda6sport View Post
yep you know it..i see you are in syracuse..i am in watertown..
Ahh, one of the only places that can get worse than CNY in snowfall totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007mazda6sport View Post
i don't suppose you know what the rim specs for the 16" rim? ie offset, bolt pattern etc?
Check here. This should help you out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
From one NYer to another, I know ALL about the snow!

I'd suggest looking into getting a set of used 16" rims from a Mazda3, 5, or 6. They all fit without issue, and can be found for cheaper than a set of steelies. Craigslist or the local used auto parts places are a good place to start.

Whatever you do, do NOT cheap out on the tires. Always get a brand-new set or ones that are lightly used. And yes, 205/60-16 is the size to stick with.
^^ What he said I'll back that up, and I'm in MA, and except for this year we're used to getting about 67 inches of snow a year.

Holy cow though Ghost, Syracuse gets ransacked with snow every year! (source below)

Snowfall by city per year - Pop 50,000+.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Mazda Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Holy cow though Ghost, Syracuse gets ransacked with snow every year! (source below)

Snowfall by city per year - Pop 50,000+.
Yup, #1 AND #2 on the list (Clay is a suburb of Syracuse, I grew up there, and I now live in the next town over.) In fact, we've gotten our first major snowfall today (VERY late in the season), and I've got about 4 inches in my driveway.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Learners License

What about putting 205/50 17 tires on the 17" wheels?

I just moved to the Boston area from Texas and am facing winter driving for the first time in 25 years. My '07 Mazda 6 has 215/50 17 tires that need to be replaced, and a local installer recommended going down to the 205/50 17 for better performance in snow. I found this thread while googling to see if this was a good idea or not.

Yes, ideally I'd get a second set of wheels and snow tires but I just don't have anyplace to store a second set of wheels and tires.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Mazda Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6 BTB View Post
What about putting 205/50 17 tires on the 17" wheels?

I just moved to the Boston area from Texas and am facing winter driving for the first time in 25 years. My '07 Mazda 6 has 215/50 17 tires that need to be replaced, and a local installer recommended going down to the 205/50 17 for better performance in snow. I found this thread while googling to see if this was a good idea or not.

Yes, ideally I'd get a second set of wheels and snow tires but I just don't have anyplace to store a second set of wheels and tires.
According to my calcs, the tire will be within the 2-3% margin of error that's usually allowed (in fact, it's only 1.5%), so you should be fine with that size.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Thats really too bad you don't have any place to store a second set... I picked up a set of OEM 17's in NH with snow tires at 6/32 tred for $250. They have a little oxidation but boy can you find some deals on craigslist.

l
l
l

Have I helped you or supplied you with Information? Thank me by donating to The New England Mazda6 Auto Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page