Cracked rims :S Is there a way to fix this ? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Cracked rims :S Is there a way to fix this ?

Hey guys, I just came back from the garage.

I thought I had a flat tire but the mechanic showed me it's actually the rim that's cracked... It's a tiny fissure but still it's losing air and busting my tire.

Is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy a new rim.
It's the Mazda 6 18'' with the black crest in the middle, like those on the cx7...

Please people let me know your insight on this situation, till then I gotta roll on my 15'' spare tire....

If you guys know some places in near Montreal or Quebec where I could have this done I really want to save those rims, also want to avoid the hustle of finding a new one and the cost that comes with it.

Thanks a lot, I hope to hear some good solutions soon.

Francis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
yeah id say its repairable....but you're probably better off just buying a new rim....itll prob cost about 200 bucks to repair....

07 6i tungsten grey metallic: clear side markers (purple LEDs), magnaflow catback, full Polk audio sound system, OZ superleggeras (gunmetal), 6000k HID's, badgeless grill, stickerbombed wink mirror, rain guards, red calipers

something funny
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
For me...I simply dont believe in repairing wheels. It cracked for a reason, regardless of what it is. To correctly repair a crack is a tough procedure and can be tougher still to be certain its done perfectly. ANY remaining crack WILL crack again. I would never feel completely safe and for the low cost of a replacement vs. the alternative (meaning a wheel failure, however remote), simply aint worth it. If it were some ultra-rare wheel on some ultra-rare collector car worth massive cash...then maybe. This aint that. Just replace it and have piece of mind

Greg

2004 Champagne 6s 5spd Sport w/Bose...stock, for now.

Last edited by NascarGreg; 08-22-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
i had to repair one of my superleggeras but thats only because they were discontinued....

07 6i tungsten grey metallic: clear side markers (purple LEDs), magnaflow catback, full Polk audio sound system, OZ superleggeras (gunmetal), 6000k HID's, badgeless grill, stickerbombed wink mirror, rain guards, red calipers

something funny
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonducks View Post
i had to repair one of my superleggeras but thats only because they were discontinued....
Yeah, thats a tough situation. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to some aspects of safety...especially when I am the one making the call! I have been responsible for those calls on wheels that go over 230mph! Now I do realize that none of us drive that fast, that our situations are very different in almost every respect, and the likelyhood of a failure is drastically lower...but it still just aint worth the risk in almost every situation.

Here is a cheap/fast tip for looking for cracks in any metal, especially in welds:

Using a very bright/focused flashlight, spray electrical cleaner in a segment of metal. Illuminate that area and watch it dry...closely. If there is a surface crack, the electrical cleaner will soak into the crack and therefore be the last thing to dry...ulliminating said crack. It happens very fast, so pay attention. Its not fullproof, but its a quick and dirty way to crack-check. I learned this while working at John Force Racing. After EVERY RUN the team will spray down EVERY PIPE in the frame and the supporting "tree" of the body framework. They also use this for the magnesium manifold too. It must be electrical cleaner because it dries so fast. Anything else dries too slowly.

Did anyone watch the NHRA race from either Seattle or Sonoma when Bob Tasca III had a frame failure on his front control arm? Thats how they diagnosed the severity of the crack

Greg

2004 Champagne 6s 5spd Sport w/Bose...stock, for now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Replace it.
Like NascarGreg, I'm conservative when it comes to wheels and tires. So many people forget that tires and rims are a mission-critical part that, when fails, can lead to dangerous unpredictable results that not only put you in danger but those unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians that may be in your path. It's not worth the risk. IMO

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 08-23-2011 at 09:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ocramida For This Useful Post:
NascarGreg (08-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page