LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
RX-8 Wheels on Wagon?

I really like the look of the 18" RX-8 wheels and would love to put a set on my 04 wagon..

Has anyone done this? Pics I hope?

If I don't lower the car will I have to roll the fender?

How hard is it to roll a fender anyway? I've never done it or had to do it.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No need to roll fenders, even with 225 tires and suspenssion drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 6i Hatch : SOLD
2010 6iGT : IN PROGRESS...
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_sr View Post
No need to roll fenders, even with 225 tires and suspenssion drop.

Are you sure? I really don't want to roll my fenders, yet from what I've read on the boards it seems like it really is necessary to roll them with these wheels. Also I will be carrying loads once in a while. After all, it *is* a wagon.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM

I put a lot of stuff myself in my hatch very often, wood, tools..
Mazdaspeed coil springs an Mazdaspeed shocks setup.
Wheels are far into fenders when heavy loads inboard. I defenitely can't put my little fingers btw tire and fender, lets say a 3mm gap, but the tire NEVER rub.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I put a lot of stuff myself in my hatch very often, wood, tools..
Mazdaspeed coil springs an Mazdaspeed shocks setup.
Wheels are far into fenders when heavy loads inboard. I defenitely can't put my little fingers btw tire and fender, lets say a 3mm gap, but the tire NEVER rub.
Okay, fair enough. As far as I know the hatch and the wagon have more similarities than the wagon and sedan do.

I do want to lower it just a little. Maybe 1". I saw those mazda speed parts but they specifically state they only work on the sedans. But, I also saw that they stiffen the spring rate by approx 30%.

Overall I like the ride of the car, but it does wallow a bit in the corners. I don't mind stiffening it up a bit but I don't want to get out of hand with it either.

Any suggestions for springs/struts for this car besides the mazdaspeed stuff?

Thanks again,
Michael
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM

I have the 4 cyl hatch. Challenge for us to get the right drop. If we put the 4 cyl kit, my rear will be way too low, and if we put the V6/hatch/wagon kit, rear is fine but the nose is too high. I choose the V6 kit. Front is a bit high but I wanted the firmer option.

With the Mazdaspeed springs, I would say, it's hard to feel the difference confort wise. You can't regret it. Cornering is better but don't expect a day and night result. I also installed a Whiteline rear-swaybar to help cornering. Another nice add-on toward sport driving without sacrifice. After a month, rear shocks died. I went to buy MS6 shocks to stiffen the rear end even more. OMG, that was stiff. I migh say, the biggest improvement but crossed the comfort line. After few months, they loosen a bit and now it's OK. You rear end is a bit heavier than mine so I guess they will be just perfect for you.

If I had to do it again, I would instead put a Progress sway bar, whitch is bigger and cheaper, rear end can take a bit more to balance the car perfectly, still a little bit of understeer.

I may also recomand to add a nice set of EBC greenstuff brake pads. This stuff is amazing. They squweel a little sometimes but the don't dust more than stock and you can attack corners way faster. High speed braking is not a worry anymore, you can slam them and never get damaged rotors. I'm on my 2nd set now. I think it's the mod that changes my driving habits the most. Even with factory suspenssion, you gain a lot of speed and fun with those, my friend also have those on his stock hatch.

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 04-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the 4 cyl hatch. Challenge for us to get the right drop. If we put the 4 cyl kit, my rear will be way too low, and if we put the V6/hatch/wagon kit, rear is fine but the nose is too high. I choose the V6 kit. Front is a bit high but I wanted the firmer option.

With the Mazdaspeed springs, I would say, it's hard to feel the difference confort wise. You can't regret it. Cornering is better but don't expect a day and night result. I also installed a Whiteline rear-swaybar to help cornering. Another nice add-on toward sport driving without sacrifice. After a month, rear shocks died. I went to buy MS6 shocks to stiffen the rear end even more. OMG, that was stiff. I migh say, the biggest improvement but crossed the comfort line. After few months, they loosen a bit and now it's OK. You rear end is a bit heavier than mine so I guess they will be just perfect for you.

If I had to do it again, I would instead put a Progress sway bar, whitch is bigger and cheaper, rear end can take a bit more to balance the car perfectly, still a little bit of understeer.

I may also recomand to add a nice set of EBC greenstuff brake pads. This stuff is amazing. They squweel a little sometimes but the don't dust more than stock and you can attack corners way faster. High speed braking is not a worry anymore, you can slam them and never get damaged rotors. I'm on my 2nd set now. I think it's the mod that changes my driving habits the more. Even with factory suspenssion, you gain a lot of speed and fun with those, my friend also have those on his stock hatch.

Thanks for the info...

I was toying with the idea of running a 225/50ZR18 with the RX-8 wheels, then going with the Racing Beat springs since they don't lower too much. I think that with the 50 series tire and the RB springs I will get a good balance of ride quality with better handling. I might also do the Tokico shocks and struts and the Racing Beat sway bars as a package if I decide I need more.

Will the 50 series tire on the 18" wheel be ok? I know you said your wheels don't rub with the 225's, but are you running 45 series?

Thanks,
Michael
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
Whether you need to roll your fenders with RX8 wheels depends ENTIRELY on what tire model/width you run. There are many people who have had to roll their fenders with RX8s.

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egierda View Post
Whether you need to roll your fenders with RX8 wheels depends ENTIRELY on what tire model/width you run. There are many people who have had to roll their fenders with RX8s.
That's what I'm afraid of. The nice Eastwood tool is $260.00 and I am deathly afraid of cracking the paint.

The tires I am thinking of running are a 225/50zr18 Hankook Ventus H105.

It's too late on the wheels, I found a really good deal on a set this morning and ordered them up. Tires are still up in the air though.

Thanks,
Michael
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
Why 50 series? The correct tire size would be 225/45, 235/40 or 225/40.

Don't buy a fender roller, rent one.

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page