RX-8 Wheels on Wagon? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_sr View Post
I have news about this case. I jacked up the car by the lower arm to see how and when the tire rub the fender. The main reason is that my bump stopper were cut during MS spring install. Only the last lower part is missing (1inch?). The tire come into contact with the fender at the same time that the lower arm touch the too-short bump stopper. With the full lenght stopper this would never happen. So for those who want a mild drop as with the RB or MS springs kit, don't cut them. The rubbing happen when the tire is more than half way into fender, I don't see the need to go any further. No wonder why my oem shocks died fast.

Now I want to replace them. I just started another thread to get info about this oem stopper cause Mazda don't sell them alone, they come with the complete subframe, only MS6 stopper are available alone.

JEGS spacers received. I will install them as soon I have info and new stoppers in hands. Adding spacer will reduce the frequency of rubbing but with a full trunk, it will happen soon or later. I want to avoid that.
Now that is some seriously good information!

If you get a chance, can you measure the diameter of your wheels/tires? Now I am really curious if I can pull off the 225/50 I wanted to run to start with. It seems like it just might work. Especially since your tires rub at one inch beyond the standard point of bottoming on the rear suspension. Besides the 225/50 tires are a LOT cheaper than the 225/45.

Edit: I looked up the specs. The RE760 you are running has an overall diameter of 26". The Hankooks I am interested in running have an overall diameter of 26.9". So if your tires are rubbing at the bottoming point in the suspension (control arm hitting bump stop) and you've cut 1" off of your bump stop, with a stock bump stop that puts it really close to rubbing. Are you positive of the amount you cut off the bump stop or is it an estimate?

Thank you!
Michael

Last edited by Radius; 04-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far I can remember (3-4 years already), it was around 1in. But you can estimate yourself with this picture I just found on this forum:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...D/000_1780.jpg

When I look at it now, it looks to me btw 0.75 to 1in.

With 50 profile, you may have trouble with front too, when comming in and out of a parking lot with the wheels fully turned. I guess you will be the first to test it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 6i Hatch : SOLD
2010 6iGT : IN PROGRESS...

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 04-20-2011 at 08:26 PM.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Learners License

So I have a wagon with rx-8 wheels, racing beat springs, and iirc 235/40's and it definitely rubs. I am actually wanting to go back to stock springs because its just not practical. I will try to get you some pics to show my ride. I do get lots of complements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I far I can remember (3-4 years already), it was around 1in. But you can estimate yourself with this picture I just found on this forum:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...D/000_1780.jpg

When I look at it now, it looks to me btw 0.75 to 1in.

With 50 profile, you may have trouble with front too, when comming in and out of a parking lot with the wheels fully turned. I guess you will be the first to test it.
Yes, I'd say you're pretty close at around 3/4" or so. So as for the 50 series tire, it's just too close. So I will stick to the 45 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashish16 View Post
So I have a wagon with rx-8 wheels, racing beat springs, and iirc 235/40's and it definitely rubs. I am actually wanting to go back to stock springs because its just not practical. I will try to get you some pics to show my ride. I do get lots of complements.
Oh wow, pics would be fabulous! I'd really appreciate seeing those.

Also, can you verify your tire size and maybe the tire brand and model? Then I could look up the diameter online and compare. Maybe we can get an idea of what size/diameter tires will rub and which ones won't?

Thank You!
Michael
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Learners License

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow (it'll be dark by the time I get out of work). But definitely stick with 225. Anything wider will rub if you are lowering your ride.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashish16 View Post
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow (it'll be dark by the time I get out of work). But definitely stick with 225. Anything wider will rub if you are lowering your ride.
225 is what I want to run. If I have to, I will do the 215 but a 215 really is just slightly too narrow for an 8 inch rim.

Definitely looking forward to your pics and tire info.

Thanks,
Michael
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Learners License

Radius(Michael), I live in Renton,WA (close to Seattle). I'm also wanting to put 18" RX8 wheels on my 2006 6i (5Dr 4cyl).
Could you please keep me in mind for wheels, springs and in general.

FYI, I'd like to Powder Coat wheels Super Silver or something more brillaint than the stock OEM silver.

Chuck @ [email protected]
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Learners License

I thought 225 were too narrow so I went wider. But 215 are way too narrow. I use to have 225 on my car and they were perfect. Stick to those. I took some pics last night with the camera phone but it was too cloudy out and it looks like the same today. Damn Ohio weather.

I'll get some pics soon.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is no way those JEGS spacers can be inserted into rear suspension. They can only fit a strut mount. The way our rear springs are made, the should fit into a "key" at each end so forget it. Money spent for nothing.

I went into MS6 section to read the How To about coil spring replacement. Pictures shows that they have the exact same bump stop that we have. I'm sure they will fit. Slipping my fingers into the springs under my car, at the heigh the back of the car actually rest, there is only 2 fingers that can be inserted btw the lower arm and the shorter bump stop. So I can't simply just put new stock stoppers and let the car that low, I will run on the stoppers all the time. I still need to find a way to raise it by at least 1/2in and I don't like the idea of putting back stock springs.

2006 6i Hatch : SOLD
2010 6iGT : IN PROGRESS...
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There is no way those JEGS spacers can be inserted into rear suspension. They can only fit a strut mount. The way our rear springs are made, the should fit into a "key" at each end so forget it. Money spent for nothing.

I went into MS6 section to read the How To about coil spring replacement. Pictures shows that they have the exact same bump stop that we have. I'm sure they will fit. Slipping my fingers into the springs under my car, at the heigh the back of the car actually rest, there is only 2 fingers that can be inserted btw the lower arm and the shorter bump stop. So I can't simply just put new stock stoppers and let the car that low, I will run on the stoppers all the time. I still need to find a way to raise it by at least 1/2in and I don't like the idea of putting back stock springs.
You are running a 225/45 tire with the mazdaspeed sedan springs right? What about running the hatch/wagon springs or the RB springs instead?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page