RX-8 Wheels on Wagon? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egierda View Post
Why 50 series? The correct tire size would be 225/45, 235/40 or 225/40.

Don't buy a fender roller, rent one.
Yeah I saw the ebay auctions for the fender roller rental. There was a thread here about renting one but it appears to be dead.

So here's my thinking on the tires:

Overall I like the ride of my wagon, although it's a tad soft. What I don't like is the wallowing from the rear end on corners. I will be using the wagon as a wagon - hauling the family on road trips with the back loaded with luggage, etc.

So I'm thinking that if I run a 50 series tire instead of the 45 or 40, then I can keep some compliance from the tire while still stiffening up the suspension a little. Plus, the 50 series will fill the wheel well better since I am thinking of using the Racing Beat springs since they seem to lower the car the least. If I remember right from my reading I think the mazdaspeed springs would be the next choice since they lower a little more than the RB springs but the mazdaspeed springs will lower it more than I really want. I think the 3/4" drop from the RB springs would be perfect with the 50 series tires.

At that point if I still need better handling I will install a set of sway bars and as a last resort a set of Koni or Tokico shocks.

Alternatively, I may just do the Tein Basic coil overs since it looks like the cost of those may actually be cheaper overall than the springs/struts/shocks combo depending on the choice of dampers. I haven't yet decided on that though, cause it's a whole hog kinda thing - do it all or go home. But looking at the specs of those coil overs, it looks like they also lower the car far more than I would want so even those may not be the right choice for me.

At least with springs, etc, you can do it piecemeal until you get the car where you need it to be.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by Radius; 04-12-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that 50 profile is too big. 45 profile on a 225 width is already a 1/4in of radius bigger than stock. You increase badly chances that it will rub with 50. Rollin fenders on a summer car is ok but for an everyday ride that see snow and bad wheather, it will make it rust. Also, bigger tires will add a lot of dynamic unsprung weight to the suspenssion work, which is opposite to what you are looking for to gain driving performance. FYI, RX8 wheels are 22.5lbs each, not bad but mutch more than real race/performance wheels.
About the height of the drop, Mazdaspeed springs will give you a nice mild drop and a balanced sport/confo spring rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 6i Hatch : SOLD
2010 6iGT : IN PROGRESS...
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
As stated directly above, a 225/50 tire is considered oversized for our car. If you'd like to maintain sidewall compliance for a softer ride, I would recommend sticking with 17s and/or going to a Koni FSD shock when you upgrade. You should also select a tire with a less rigid sidewall to maintain ride comfort. It's tough for many to find a balance between handling and ride quality since most aftermarket handling improvements will be a result of firming up the OEM suspension/chassis. The addition of sway bars will make your suspension less laterally compliant, which is often perceived as more rigid under daily driving conditions.

For your situation, I would recommend a 225/45/18 tire and either RB or Mazdaspeed springs.

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Here is my car with new Potenza RE760 225/45R18, Mazdaspeed V6 drop on a 6i hatch.
They rub!!! Last setup was 225/40R18 so just a bit higher supposed to clear fender. Fail! So forget about 225/50 profiles tire on those wheels.
Back from the shop with all 4 17" oem wheel with oem tires (200lbs), they rub very lightly when turning hard or high waves in the road.

Few pics:
Side of the car
Front wheel gap
Rear wheel gap
Rear wheel 3/4 view
Rear wheel gap closeup
Rear wheel gap closeup
Rub scratches on the tire

After 4 years, the rear sag makes it a bit too low so I will add those Jegs spacers to give back an inch of gap and even the front/rear drop that never been levelled anyway. Bump stopper was trimmed by 1 step when I installed the MS coils. Maybe I should buy and put back full length bump stoppers. I'll see the effect of spacers first. (UPDATE: see post #20)

I will write a review of those tires within next days but for now:
DrFeelGood likes this.

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 04-19-2011 at 08:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hurricane_sr For This Useful Post:
DrFeelGood (04-08-2018)
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_sr View Post
Here is my car with new Potenza RE760 225/45R18, Mazdaspeed V6 drop on a 6i hatch.
They rub!!! Last setup was 225/40R18 so just a bit higher supposed to clear fender. Fail! So forget about 225/50 profiles tire on those wheels.
Back from the shop with all 4 17" oem wheel with oem tires (200lbs), they rub very lightly when turning hard or high waves in the road.

After 4 years, the rear sag makes it a bit too low so I will add those Jegs spacers to give back an inch of gap and even the front/rear drop that never been levelled anyway. Bump stopper was trimmed by 1 step when I installed the MS coils. Maybe I should buy and put back full length bump stoppers. I'll see the effect of spacers first.

I will write a review of those tires within next days but for now:
Thank you very much for the pics. Now I know exactly what I will be dealing with. It makes me wonder if I made the right decision to go with the RX-8 wheels, but I guess it's too late now. I also see that running a 50 series tire will most definitely be too big.

The MS springs on your car lower it farther than I want to go. Especially in the rear. It looks like RB springs are definitely the way to go for me.

So now I am wondering if I can get away with the 45 series tire with the RB springs and not have rubbing. I guess if I really had to I could sacrifice a little suspension travel and make a longer bump stop for the rear suspension. Of course I really don't want to have to do that.

Quote:
As stated directly above, a 225/50 tire is considered oversized for our car. If you'd like to maintain sidewall compliance for a softer ride, I would recommend sticking with 17s and/or going to a Koni FSD shock when you upgrade. You should also select a tire with a less rigid sidewall to maintain ride comfort. It's tough for many to find a balance between handling and ride quality since most aftermarket handling improvements will be a result of firming up the OEM suspension/chassis. The addition of sway bars will make your suspension less laterally compliant, which is often perceived as more rigid under daily driving conditions.

For your situation, I would recommend a 225/45/18 tire and either RB or Mazdaspeed springs.
As the car is now, it certainly rides nice but it is too soft and the rear end also wallows like a pregnant water buffalo over bumps in corners.

I want to stiffen it up, but I don't want to go too far. Nicely controlled and damped ride, yet not jarring to the point of causing tire skip over expansion joints or rattling my filling out over potholes.

So yes, it definitely looks like the 45 series tire with the RB springs are the way to go. I don't have the coin for the koni dampers, but I think the Tokico's offered by RB along with a set of RB bars may just be my ticket. Although the RB bars seem to be the largest diameter available. Are there other bars available that are larger than stock yet a little smaller than the RB bars?

I've got one chance to get this right without wasting money so I really really appreciate your time and info. Thank You.

Michael

Last edited by Radius; 04-15-2011 at 01:35 AM.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda
Progress makes a RSB with a diameter intermediate to that of the OEM and RB bar. Mazdaspeed also sells a sway bar kit (F/R) for the 6 but last I checked it was way overpriced.

Try checking out the Bilstein shocks. Many have run those with the Mazdaspeed springs and love the combination.

My only peeve with the RB springs is that you'll barely notice your lowered. The reason he looks lower in the rear is because he's running V6 sedan springs on a 6i hatch (>100lbs heavier in the rear). His rear is sagging to all hell from the extra weight and the front end is jacked up because he is so much lighter in the front end.

08 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CURRENT

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
... The reason he looks lower in the rear is because he's running V6 sedan springs on a 6i hatch (>100lbs heavier in the rear). His rear is sagging to all hell from the extra weight and the front end is jacked up because he is so much lighter in the front end.
I have the GRMS-8M-H15 kit for 5doors/wagon. Sorry for the confusion.

Front drop was a bit too high for me at the beginning but with 3 years of sag and the right tire size it's now perfect. Back height is now too low and need to be corrected. Putting back oem springs would give me the good height but I want to keep the higher spring rate of the MS springs so I prefer to jack it up with a 1in spacer (JEGS#1285 ordered).

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 04-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the GRMS-8M-H15 kit for 5doors/wagon. Sorry for the confusion.

Front drop was a bit too high for me at the beginning but with 3 years of sag and the right tire size it's now perfect. Back height is now too low and need to be corrected. Putting back oem springs would give me the good height but I want to keep the higher spring rate of the MS springs so I prefer to jack it up with a 1in spacer (JEGS#1285 ordered).
Quote:
Progress makes a RSB with a diameter intermediate to that of the OEM and RB bar. Mazdaspeed also sells a sway bar kit (F/R) for the 6 but last I checked it was way overpriced.

Try checking out the Bilstein shocks. Many have run those with the Mazdaspeed springs and love the combination.

My only peeve with the RB springs is that you'll barely notice your lowered. The reason he looks lower in the rear is because he's running V6 sedan springs on a 6i hatch (>100lbs heavier in the rear). His rear is sagging to all hell from the extra weight and the front end is jacked up because he is so much lighter in the front end.

Ok, now I'm really confused. All I do know is that by the pics the amount of drop Hurricane_sr has is more thanI want especially in the rear.

I really like the stance of MPS-6's car: http://forum.mazda6club.com/members/...f386c0d-b.html

The only problem is that for what I'm going to use my wagon for it's waaayyy to low. Unfortunately. I think my wagon would look awesome with a stance like that.

Most of the pics of lowered 6's that I see look like this: http://forum.mazda6club.com/members/...nium-gray.html

Which is unfortunate because to my eye, they all look too low in the rear.

I can't find the post now, but there is a member who has the rx-8 wheels on his sedan with no lowering springs. The car basically looks stock, just taller because of the larger diameter wheels. I definitely don't want that.

I think what I'm going to do is get the tire and wheels on my car and measure it to see how much drop I really do want. I was hoping to get a consensus so I could try to do it all at once, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out that way.

As for tires, I live up in NW Washington state where it rains almost constantly for 9 months out of the year. Plus the occasional snow in winter. I think I am going to go for the Continental extremecontact dws. Discount Tire has them here:

Tire Details - Discount Tire

Any opinions on this tire?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by Radius; 04-16-2011 at 02:14 AM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:
Rollin fenders on a summer car is ok but for an everyday ride that see snow and bad wheather, it will make it rust.
This all depends bro. I had mine professionally done, when finished he
coated the entire roll and newly created lip with silicone. He told me to keep on eye on the silicone and stop by if I need a recoat (no charge).

He said he's never seen one rust if done properly...
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM

I have news about this case. I jacked up the car by the lower arm to see how and when the tire rub the fender. The main reason is that my bump stopper were cut during MS spring install. Only the last lower part is missing (1inch?). The tire come into contact with the fender at the same time that the lower arm touch the too-short bump stopper. With the full lenght stopper this would never happen. So for those who want a mild drop as with the RB or MS springs kit, don't cut them. The rubbing happen when the tire is more than half way into fender, I don't see the need to go any further. No wonder why my oem shocks died fast.

Now I want to replace them. I just started another thread to get info about this oem stopper cause Mazda don't sell them alone, they come with the complete subframe, only MS6 stopper are available alone.

JEGS spacers received. I will install them as soon I have info and new stoppers in hands. Adding spacer will reduce the frequency of rubbing but with a full trunk, it will happen soon or later. I want to avoid that.

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 04-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page