New rims are rubbing please help! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rims are rubbing please help!

I just bought a set of 18x7.5 (same size as stock rims) Motegi MR-117s for my 2006 mazdaspeed6 with Goodyear Eagle GT tires 225/40 (recommended 215s but I've always had 225s) and they are rubbing only when I turn hard. I had the exact same tires on my stock rims and they didn't rub at all. Maybe the offset is wrong?? I don't have any idea but it's really pissing me off because I don't have the stock rims anymore and I don't want to put the stock springs back on. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-22 12.23.25.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	77169  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Bet they look great but stock wheels are 7X45inch not 7.5X45, just looked it up. You said you had 225 tires on stock wheel with no troubles, (thats good to know) so that extra half inch was outboard and got you in trouble. The fender gap is pretty close already, need some room to play with for situation that could come up with out rubbing. Wait till you turn in a dip with body twisted a bit, you could bend your fender and be dangerous in odd situation hanging tire up on fender driving. You might call a body shop and see what they say, could be cheaper to modify fenders then deal with your tire/wheel investmment. Don't forget, your speedometer will most likely be off now too, probably slower then you are actually going, better check it.

Last edited by Speed135; 12-19-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: correct info
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed135 For This Useful Post:
ncsuspeed6 (12-19-2010)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
The stock rim is 18x7 not 18x7.5, also the stock offset are much higher 55 et
The one you have now probably have lower off set and it's 18x7.5 and that the reason why it rub..
All you need to do is have your rear fenders professional rool it and you're golden..
I'm running 18x8.5 with 42 off / fender fully rolled and fat ass tires 245/40/18 with no problem
My car also lowered on autoexec springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mazdaspeed6: Gone

Need the pod for your gauge? Read here ======>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by block8head View Post
The stock rim is 18x7 not 18x7.5, also the stock offset are much higher 55 et
The one you have now probably have lower off set and it's 18x7.5 and that the reason why it rub..
All you need to do is have your rear fenders professional rool it and you're golden..
I'm running 18x8.5 with 42 off / fender fully rolled and fat ass tires 245/40/18 with no problem
My car also lowered on autoexec springs
Thanks. Damn 245s thats awesome! I'm going to get it done ASAP. Can you estimate roughly how much it's going to set me back to get all 4 fenders rolled?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
block8head got it right obviously, I totally messed up wheel size and knew better using aspect ratio of the tire in wheel size. However stock is 7 inch wide as we both said. Sorry about my error.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuspeed6 View Post
Thanks. Damn 245s thats awesome! I'm going to get it done ASAP. Can you estimate roughly how much it's going to set me back to get all 4 fenders rolled?
Got mine done for $50!
Or you can do it yourself with a baseball bat for $0 , except you have to buy the bat

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 66
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MonoxideChild
in every thread about wheels, people say how important the offset is. that should be the very 1st thing you look at when shopping for wheels for these cars. its amazing people still dont even check that.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
People don't understand the basics of what offset even is.

though tire specs are lost on a lot of people too.

you should not have to roll the fronts, but just the 2 rears as the factory rolls the fronts for you.

baseball bats are for mindless idiots who don't care about their paint. Having the proper tool to do it makes it painless and very easy. Some shops will do it for you, others will allow you to rent the tool........

don't risk making a 200 or more dollar error with a bat, because you too cheap to use the right too the first time.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper66 View Post
People don't understand the basics of what offset even is.

though tire specs are lost on a lot of people too.

you should not have to roll the fronts, but just the 2 rears as the factory rolls the fronts for you.

baseball bats are for mindless idiots who don't care about their paint. Having the proper tool to do it makes it painless and very easy. Some shops will do it for you, others will allow you to rent the tool........

don't risk making a 200 or more dollar error with a bat, because you too cheap to use the right too the first time.
Easy pal! No need to calling or naming ppl as idiots just because they use the bat to roll their fenders If you cant give advices or helps pleast don't ... i have mine done professinally and i'm just saying you can use either...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page