Multiple tires losing pressure fast - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM
JML

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Valves go bad over time. The seals inside the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) stems can deteriorate, or if you have the non-TPMS rubber stems, they can develop cracks and leaks from the rubber aging. When tires are replaced, the TPMS valves should be checked and rebuilt if necessary; if the stems are rubber, they should be replaced yearly (especially if you live in an area with winter salt use, that's normal procedure at good tire shops). Cheap insurance against leaks.

And far more likely a source of a leak or two, rather than your beads.

But many shops are not honest, or have poorly-trained staff. Finding anyone to admit to causing a problem would be rare. It sounds suspicious that they claim they had to to work on your beads - they may have caused the problems in the first place, and have wanted to avoid buying you $1000 worth of alloy wheels to make up for their incompetence. Maybe they didn't lube the beads before installing the tires, or did something else wrong.

And those tires in your size are listed by Cooper's site as 95V, not 91.

Given the consequences of tire failure, it's best to go to a good shop. Go to the Tire Rack website for their authorized installers in your area. Or see who uses the expensive quality mounting and balancing systems (Hunter Road Force Balancer) - the Hunter website will tell you who is near you. The Tire Rack installers have that system.

While you're at it, get a quality tire gauge, and don't trust ANY inflater's gauge at the gas station. One night, inflate the tires about 5 psi higher than normal, right before you get home. Then measure the pressure in the morning, before you pull the car out of the garage, and bleed off enough pressure to get to the recommended 32 psi. It'll get higher as you drive and the tires warm up. Check the pressure the same time every other day, in the AM, and see if there are changes.

2008 Mazda6 5-door i-Touring (Volcanic Red)

Last edited by JML; 12-27-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I was going to say the valve stems would be my first check. The wife's Mazda 6 had a leak in the valve stem a couple weeks ago. She said it looked low and I checked it and it was only at 15 PSI. Filled it up and if you listened carefully you could hear a faint hiss coming from the valve stem. I would recommend getting new valve stems put on with each new set of tires to avoid this problem in the future

Try moving your stems up and down (bending them) and listen and maybe you will hear a hiss. You could also take off the tire and put it in a kiddy-pool full of water and look for bubbles coming up from the leak.

The valve stems shouldn't cost more than $4 each. If they still are losing PSI after that, this company should take the time to find the leak in the tire for you. Tires do lose air in cold weather but it shouldn't be losing that much. My tires lose maybe 3-4 lbs every month or so in cold-a$$ Minnesota. Hope you get it fixed. Keep us posted!

2005 Mazda6i 2.3L Hatchback
Lapis Blue
70,000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
Yeah, 3-4 years, I think. I'm a low milage driver. I'll have them replaced. That involves removing the tire, right? Which would mean the bead could be inspected and cleaned/repaired at the same time as well?
My wife had the same sort of problem with one wheel on her Focus ZTS. The tire shop we deal with said it was a bead leak and pulled the tire, cleaned the rim and tire, and refitted it with bead lubricant. It's been just fine since. I don't think you have to remove the tire to change a valve stem, just break the seal on the outer rim. If your going to do that, you might as well remove the tire and do the cleaning though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
Given the consequences of tire failure, it's best to go to a good shop. Go to the Tire Rack website for their authorized installers in your area. Or see who uses the expensive quality mounting and balancing systems (Hunter Road Force Balancer) - the Hunter website will tell you who is near you. The Tire Rack installers have that system.
Actually, the shop in question that's been telling me nothing's wrong is Dobb's Tire and Auto in St. Louis, and they are one of Tire Rack's installers. They even have good ratings there. They don't appear to use the Hunter system you mention though. Tire Rack says the one I have been going to has Coats equipment. I'm not sure why I'm having such a bad experience. I'm going to try another location of Dobb's and see what I can get them to do under the included tire warranty. If I end up needing to pay someone to do it, I'll look for a shop that has the Hunter system you suggest. Thanks for the tip!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
It's so easy to leak-check by just spraying the valve stems, (unles it's below freezing) something I have done many times. The leak will show up real quick if they are the problem, also checking the wheel flang/tire bead area not that difficult either except the rears. I sure wouldn't pay someone to do something I could do. Take the spray bottle with you and show them where ever the leaks are as proof.
I have kept a log for my cars for many years, just a medium spiril notebook. Everything done is dated and miles noted and any details pertaining to an item. Good for when you sell too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page