What to expect with a 235/40/18 upgrade? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SmokeU6s

After reading that exact article I went into my local Discount Tire Co. to check em out and the guy working there said you can expect 45000miles from them even though the warranty Discount Tire is 30000 (or somewhere around there). But he said it all is dependent on how you drive because he figured that the estimate he gave me is an underestimate because its what Hankook gives them which he figures is with mixed driving. He guesses that if you drive like a little old lady you'd easily make it to 60000 or if you are hard on them or use em for auto x or something you would of course get considerably less. After he told me that I walked out and was like DER! Doesn't take a genius to know that how you drive affects how your tires last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to smokeU6s
hyperlite,

thanks for the update. Considering they are about $20/tire cheaper than the avids they look to be my next purchase.

All Black Mazda6s 04 ATX 5door | Bose | Moonroof | CP-E MAFci Intake | Painted Yellow Calipers | Magnaflow catback | B&M tranny cooler | Magnafine Transmission Filter | Anzo Clear Side Markers | Weapon X Coil on Plugs
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (smokeU6s @ Jul 8 2009, 08:02 AM)
Quote:
posttosh,

CND just placed the Hankook Ventus in 2nd place in a tire test, and the price can't be beat.

Whats the estimated tread life?[/b]
I have not seen any recent Car and Driver test results, but that is consistent with a spate of recent tests by German enthusiast magazines. (BTW, there are several models of Ventus. The Hankook Ventus S1 evo that Tire Rack sells, for instance, is a very different tire than the Hankook Ventus V12 evo that has excelled in the German testing.)

The UTQG Treadwear rating of the Hankook Ventus V12 evo is 280. The OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires have a UTQG Treadwear rating of 300; theoretically, then, the Hankooks would wear out in 14/15ths (fourteen-fifteenths) the number of miles compared to the Michelins. So, if you get 36,000 miles out of the Michelins, then -- theoretically -- you would get 33,600 miles on the Hankooks. (Due to granularity -- Treadwear ratings are in multiples of 20, so the difference between "280" and "300" could represent anywhere from 1 to 39 units -- and due to differences among manufacturers in interpreting the detailed mandatory procedures for the testing of Treadwear, the Treadwear numbers should not be parsed too finely.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Just installed RX8 wheels with Potenza RE760 in the 235/40/18 size.
Handling is like night and day compared to the stock tires and wheels.
Will upload some oics soon.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation

QUOTE (DaveR @ Sep 4 2009, 09:49 PM)
Quote:
Just installed RX8 wheels with Potenza RE760 in the 235/40/18 size.
Handling is like night and day compared to the stock tires and wheels.
Will upload some oics soon.[/b]
How do you like your Potenza RE760?? looking at getting some soon. Thanks

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring | Velocity Red Mica
DashHawk, CS TIP/SRI/TMIC, SU MM, JB EGR block plate/plug/TB TIG, CPE RDM, Perrin EBCS, Turbosmart BPV,TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD, LED bulbs, TRS projectors, HID fogs, Hawks pads, Amsoil diff/pto/trans, navi, XCarLink USB
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Learners License

Although this is an old thread I thought I'd share my experience going 235 40 18.
on my Mazda 6 Sport Wagon.

I have sportmax aftermarket wheels. I had 215 45 18 on these wheels earlier. I just moved to the 235/40/18's Kumho Ecsta AST anddd....... NOT GOOD. The rear wheels rub when I go through a dip even if its a shallow dip but at highway speeds. I've old had this happen so far with 3 people in the car. I installed the tires yesterday and have had it rub really hard atleast 4 times.

So it doesn't rub the entire wheel well lip but just a 2inch section near the rear door (i don't know if you guys can visualize that from my description).

The front wheels are no problem at all with the wheels turned end to end. I have to agree though handling is GREAT & the 1 inch increase in tire width makes the car look smashing. BUTTT I'll be moving back to the 215-40-18 for the rears. Can't afford to change all 4.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
It all depends on the wheels. I have 235s on my car and never really had a problem. They rubbed before I rolled my rear fenders properly, but nothing after that.

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 AT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mazda 6 Sport GT-V6 MT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page