need advice on snow cables - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUOTE (Stevenator128 @ Jan 3 2010, 09:41 PM)
Quote:
By "fix itself" in a few revolutions, does that mean it wears itself down or damages something? That just sounds iffy, but i'm interested still lol[/b]
According to Vulcan tire - no they said the chains are designed to fit without any interference. They said if there is some interference, it's because the chain didn't get fit properly on the tire, and in a few revolutions it should seat itself correctly on the tire and not have any interference. Like I said, I didn't get to test it out on an actual drive in the snow but just rolling back and forth a bit I didn't notice any interference.

toecheese, I agree, Autosocks are awesome! My only concern was when we had a big snowstorm in 2008, followed by several days of below freezing weather. Those with chains had caused big ruts in the ice and snow covered roads. Autosocks work great on smooth packed snow but I wasn't sure if they'd have the digging power of chains in such a condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
NickC - did you ever get a chance to try the Autosocks in the ice where it has been chued up by chains/trucks? I'm running into the same problem with my 05 6s wagon. I also looked at the Thule K-Summit, but ouch it is 397. I can't decide on the Autosock and the Vulcan Super Z-6.

Any other advice out there?

05 Mazda 6s wagon green - looking to improve performance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Poo Bah View Post
NickC - did you ever get a chance to try the Autosocks in the ice where it has been chued up by chains/trucks? I'm running into the same problem with my 05 6s wagon. I also looked at the Thule K-Summit, but ouch it is 397. I can't decide on the Autosock and the Vulcan Super Z-6.

Any other advice out there?
We've just had lots of fun with Weissocks (Snow socks, very similar.) We had freak snow here in Dublin in early 2010 and then all during December. (one clear week in December).

The wife and I used socks on my 6 and her Volvo s40. Fit no problem and both cars have limited clearance They work great on ice and up to 4 inches of snow. the hill near our home was like tetris with cars one evening and I could out-steer everything.

However, you HAVE to take them off on clear roads as they wear out in no time (my wife's are trashed now) and you are limited to 30mph. they do "self-center". Leave them on for a few days and it takes patience and a high pain barrier to remove them.

Do not expect to get "years of service" from them... but they beat getting stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page