need advice on snow cables - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

I've been working with Sean at Vulcan Tire on a solution. He's sent me a set of SCC Super Z-6 cables that were designed to fit a Honda Accord with the same tire size and similar clearance issues as the 6. There's a good chance these may work. I'll test fit them this weekend and publish the results here.

[/b]

Sad to report, these don't work either.

Quote:
well, is it the diameter of the wheel or the width(outside to inside of the wheel well) that matters most?

and having to switch out wheels every season just seems like a hassle that could be avoided if snow chains are usable....just gotta find the right chains/cables.

-Allen
[/b]

It's really the width, not the diameter, that's the issue. The cable on the sidewall rubs on the strut. The clearance between tire and fender is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

I think I finally have a solution. I used Autosocks this weekend in the snow up in Sequoia, California. They worked well. On and off in 5 minutes, no hassle, no issues with suspension clearance. Size 735.

http://www.duettomotors.com/general/gen_autosock.htm

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Note: AutoSock is not yet approved by some states where "snow chains required" signs are posted. Please check with your local authorities to see if AutoSock is legal in your area.
SO DO YOU KNOW CAN THEY BE USED IN CALI OR NEVADA AND HOW'D THEY WORK BECAUSE I'M GOING TO TAHOE THIS NEXT WEEKEND AND I'M GOING TO BUY THEM SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
SO DO YOU KNOW CAN THEY BE USED IN CALI OR NEVADA AND HOW'D THEY WORK BECAUSE I'M GOING TO TAHOE THIS NEXT WEEKEND AND I'M GOING TO BUY THEM SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION.[/b][/b][/b][/b]

It's a matter if some cop decides to make an issue of it or not. According to the letter of the law, you need steel cables. But the law was written before alternate devices like the Autosock existed. So a cop might let it go.

When I went to the snow I printed out the website details on what the Autosock is, just in case I had to explain them to a CHP officer.

As it is the Autosocks look substantial on the wheels, unless a cop is going to be an a-hole about it I think they'd see that its something legitimate and let it pass. In fact while the wheels are spinning I'm not sure how any cop could really tell what you have on there, but its clear you have some kind of traction device.

FYI, I do carry a set of barely-fitting cables just in case a cop insists on them. If forced to I would use them (very slowly) for the mile or so to get past the cop, then go back to the autosocks.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
pcs

i was in big bear this weekend, where it started dumping on sunday, and i saw a 6 there w/ chains or a traction device of some sort on his wheels... he/she seemed to be driving around ok, don't know if maybe he had narrower tires or something though.

i opted to go w/ snow tires on my speed6, and if needed, i'll carry cables in my car (not that i woudl put them on)... if it ever got to an R3 condition or whatever they call it where even 4wd cars w/ snow tires need chains... i'll probably turn back and wait it out or something... I've never ever seen a requirement for 4wd's to have their chains on, so i figure by the time i do, it's probably best to go back and get a cup of coffee w/ a couple shots of baileys in it and relax :P

my car... it's not a sleeper... it's sleeping.
'06 ms6 gt - the new baby
'89 n/a fc3s - the jealous one... with all the goodies... too many to list... on a 6 forum, at least
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

can people PLEASE start using descriptive titles and descriptions...!! no more threads titled "Damn, not again." or "check this out" or "finally!" or... any other crap like that. PLEASE.

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Learners License

I'm resurrecting this thread. I was looking at the Vulcan Super Z-6 chains. I emailed the company asking about fitting these on a Mazda 6 with 17" wheels. They replied emphatically that these have been tested. However, as toecheese found, they didn't work.

I noticed on their website when selecting a tire size, they have a 215/50R17 labeled specifically for Mazda6. Did they have that when you tried them out? i.e., is there a chance they have modified the chains to work now?

I replied to them mentioning this thread. Waiting for a reply...
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Learners License

any news back from them yet?
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Learners License

Whoops - looks like I forgot to post back...

Yeah, their response was that there might be a little initial contact between the inner buckle and the strut but that it should fix itself in a few revolutions.

I took a leap of faith and ordered the chains. It's a nice package. Comes with the tighteners and a nylon carrying bag, although the chains are not easy to get back into the bag after taking them out. They should have made the bag bigger. That being said, an old gym duffle bag would probably work.

We haven't had any snow here to test them out yet. But I did put them on the car and rolled back and forth a few times. Didn't hear any contact. I also tried to place the car such that the thickest point of the inner side of the chains was right next to the upper strut. I worked my fingers back there and as best as I can tell, there was still clearance! The real test will be of course when I use them over a good distance.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 AM

Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
By "fix itself" in a few revolutions, does that mean it wears itself down or damages something? That just sounds iffy, but i'm interested still lol
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

after using Autosocks, I would never, ever bother using chains on any vehicle again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page