need advice on snow cables - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I found a link for some cables. Maybe this would be an option. It says it only requires 1/4" clearance. Go to this site.....

http://www.vulcantire.com/index.html
[/b]

Hello All,

I am going to Mammoth this weekend and it will be snowing Friday night as I pass through Bishop. You need to show your chains to get through. I have rarely ever put any on, but you need to have them. I have a 2005 6S Wagon and I have been reading it is a no GO with cables or chains due to a clearance issue. The vulcantire ones only need .25" and was curious if anyone tried them yet. Unfortunately, I need them this weekend so I may have to find an off the shelf option. Anybody find anything that works? I saw the mention of spacers. I have a lathe here at work and could make some but I would only do that if I really had to. Are off the shelf spacers available at tire shops? Seems like a crappy way to do this but I need to go boarding this weekend! My wheels are stock 17" alloy rims. Do the cables scratch the rims?

Best regards,

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I found a link for some cables. Maybe this would be an option. It says it only requires 1/4" clearance. Go to this site.....

[/b]

Looks promising, but remember the main problem with the existing chains I've tried is not the thickness of the cable itself, but the connector clip. That's what scrapes. Hopefully with these chains they make that a lot thinner, too, but if you order them you might want to ask.

By the way these cables are made by SCC, the same company that makes chains sold by Pep Boys and many stores. So it's likely they can be found many places, not just Vulcan Tire. My recommendation from past experience is try to find them locally first, so that you can try them on in the garage as a test and return them if they don't work. Just make sure that the store you buy them from lets you return them if unused... some stores won't take returns on chains no matter what.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello All,

I am going to Mammoth this weekend and it will be snowing Friday night as I pass through Bishop. You need to show your chains to get through. I have rarely ever put any on, but you need to have them. I have a 2005 6S Wagon and I have been reading it is a no GO with cables or chains due to a clearance issue. The vulcantire ones only need .25" and was curious if anyone tried them yet. Unfortunately, I need them this weekend so I may have to find an off the shelf option. Anybody find anything that works? I saw the mention of spacers. I have a lathe here at work and could make some but I would only do that if I really had to. Are off the shelf spacers available at tire shops? Seems like a crappy way to do this but I need to go boarding this weekend! My wheels are stock 17" alloy rims. Do the cables scratch the rims?

Best regards,

Marc
[/b]

I don't think spacers will work. I tried an entirely different set of wheels on mine that doubled the clearance over the stock alloys and still the clip on the cables was too close to the suspension. Not to mention, you don't know how thick you can make a spacer that will be safe.

Your only options are (a) these low clearance chains (untested), (b) snow claws (untested), or © a new set of wheels with much narrower tires.

Don't try any off the shelf chains without carefully testing them out first, especially on 17 inch rims, you could be very sorry. I don't think you'll find any that will work. Skip trying the SCC brand chains (not counting these new super clearance ones we've been discussing), I can tell you from experience they don't work.

My recommendation if you don't have time to come up with a proper solution is to rent a 4WD car for this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think spacers will work. I tried an entirely different set of wheels on mine that doubled the clearance over the stock alloys and still the clip on the cables was too close to the suspension. Not to mention, you don't know how thick you can make a spacer that will be safe.

Your only options are (a) these low clearance chains (untested), (b) snow claws (untested), or © a new set of wheels with much narrower tires.

Don't try any off the shelf chains without carefully testing them out first, especially on 17 inch rims, you could be very sorry. I don't think you'll find any that will work. Skip trying the SCC brand chains (not counting these new super clearance ones we've been discussing), I can tell you from experience they don't work.

My recommendation if you don't have time to come up with a proper solution is to rent a 4WD car for this weekend.
[/b]
I'll be borrowing my moms Toyota Sequia for the weekend. I am sure something has to work and I will ive it a try when I have time.

Best regards,

Marc
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

[/b]

I just bought a set of these and test fit them in my garage, and am disappointed to report that they don't fit. The metal clasps (barely) clear the car's suspension, but when the tire rotates the cable itself scrapes against it.

Back to the drawing board. I may try snow claws next. Anyone else having any luck?
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Learners License

Quote:
I just bought a set of these and test fit them in my garage, and am disappointed to report that they don't fit. The metal clasps (barely) clear the car's suspension, but when the tire rotates the cable itself scrapes against it.

Back to the drawing board. I may try snow claws next. Anyone else having any luck?
[/b]
http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/snow_c...rt_centrax.html

Would these work? I have a 6 5-door myself and am trying to find a solution. I haven't looked in the wheel well of my car yet, so I don't know the exact spot where the clearance sucks.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Would these work? I have a 6 5-door myself and am trying to find a solution. I haven't looked in the wheel well of my car yet, so I don't know the exact spot where the clearance sucks.
[/b]

It depends on how they sit on the inside of the tire, which I can't tell from this photo. It doesn't show anything on the inside but there must be something.

I've been working with Sean at Vulcan Tire on a solution. He's sent me a set of SCC Super Z-6 cables that were designed to fit a Honda Accord with the same tire size and similar clearance issues as the 6. There's a good chance these may work. I'll test fit them this weekend and publish the results here.

There's also a new product called Autosock that isn't available in the US yet, but should be soon. They look like the best and easiest solution for the snow. My only question is, will the California Highway Patrol accept them in place of steel cables?

www.autosock.com
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Learners License

what about these? anybody use the rud centrax before?

whoops....sorry about that last post....made a mistake.

http://www.rudchain.com/news/centrax.pdf

http://www.rudchain.com/snow/cmount.htm

http://www.rudchain.com/snow/cars1.htm

so it sounds like there is nothing on the inside of the wheel, but it's just pulled together tight enough and the braces on the outside of the wheel prevent it from slipping off. The "exemplary technology" on the right side of the last link say there's nothing on the inside of the wheel....

anybody have any thoughts...it's ski/snowboard season so all those mazda6 owners have gotta be trying to figure out a way to get out there.

-Allen
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM

try to use smaller diameter of wheel...

2003 Mazda 6i 2.3l MTX - STOLEN
Installed : Clutch Masters FX300 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, CPE MAFci™ System, Audio Link USB MP3, TWM Short Throw Shifter, Carbotech Brake Rotors, Carbotech Performance Brake Pads (Bobcats), CPE Lightweight Battery Tray, Odyssey PC680MJ Battery, TEIN Hood Dampers
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Learners License

Quote:
try to use smaller diameter of wheel...
[/b]
well, is it the diameter of the wheel or the width(outside to inside of the wheel well) that matters most?

and having to switch out wheels every season just seems like a hassle that could be avoided if snow chains are usable....just gotta find the right chains/cables.

-Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page