need advice on snow cables - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Can someone explain the difference between chains and cables? (I had chains for my last car, but never could get them on dry, let alone in a pile of snow!)
[/b]

Chains are just that--chains. Chains with links, they look like something you might use to lock a gate, except they are linked in a form that fits around a tire.

Cables are made of metal stranded cabling fastened together with crimped brackets, and fit the exact shape of the tire. Much thinner, quieter, tighter fitting and less likely to break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so did anybody find a suitable cable solution for the 6? im running the stock 17" wheels.

&#39;04 steel gray, tint 35%, cpe mafci, <strike>xtec hid 35w 5000k</strike>, hid retrofit w/ bosch e46 ece prj, bosch gen2 ballast, philips d2s 85122 4300k, tranny cooler, mazdaspeed springs, rx8 18x8 potenza re040 225/45/18, door sills, jl 10w7, jl 500/1, audiolink ipod integration,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Sebring

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
OK, I just tried a second set of cables from Pep Boys (these are the ones in the black box--the other ones I tried were the more expensive version in the grey box). These cables are thinner but still the clearance is just too tight.

They *might* work, but the space between the cable latch and the suspension at the the inside top of the tire is literally millimeters. It just makes me too nervous--if the cables aren&#39;t perfectly tight, or if they loosen or give then the latch will brush against the suspension and the cable latch will likely break off after a few rotations. Then who knows what--body damage, or worse the broken cables could jam the steering or the brakes.

The only alternative I can think of is to buy a set of steel wheels with snow tires that are not as wide as the stock 6 wheels. Then chains should fit OK, plus I have snow tires. It&#39;s a pain though, besides the expense I would have to change my wheels every time I head up to the mountains in winter.

I&#39;m really hoping SOMEONE here can tell me a working cable solution (brand, store).
[/b]

Toecheese,

I am having a parallel experience. 6 wagon, with sport package, consequently 17&#39;&#39; rims. I bought the Pep boys
cables, cheaper ones. They did not fit, about 3" short. Then read the manual, amazed to find cables and chains not a possibility. I ended up not taking my Mazda to Sequoia. I am going to call Mazda North America as I find it inconcieveable they could manufacture a wagon that cannot take cahins or cables. If you get any info on cables that work, I would love to know.

Regards

Sebring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Toecheese,

I am having a parallel experience. 6 wagon, with sport package, consequently 17&#39;&#39; rims. I bought the Pep boys
cables, cheaper ones. They did not fit, about 3" short. Then read the manual, amazed to find cables and chains not a possibility. I ended up not taking my Mazda to Sequoia. I am going to call Mazda North America as I find it inconcieveable they could manufacture a wagon that cannot take cahins or cables. If you get any info on cables that work, I would love to know.

[/b]

No, I haven&#39;t found a solution. I even tried a set of steel wheels off a Camry (205/65/15, I think... not sure if I am remembering the profile size correctly). They had better clearance and were closer to working but still the space was just too close to the suspension for comfort. Ended up not taking the car to Sequoia over New Years.

I think I&#39;m going to have to find a narrower set of tires on steel wheels, probably 195&#39;s. I&#39;m going to contact tirerack.com and see if they have any recommendations. Please let me know if you get any info from Mazda.

Just curious, where in Sequoia did you go? We were at the John Muir lodge in Grant Grove.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea
if you are still at stock hight, one option might be to buy some spacers for the front wheels? i run a 5mm spacer on the track and don&#39;t have any issues. it&#39;s a bit of a pain to throw those on before a trip i guess, but if you are thinking about a whole other set of tires it might save you a bit. usually you can hit up your local tire store on who can get them for you.

i&#39;m never going to the snow in my car, but trying to help

'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Learners License

Has anyone found a solution that works for these yet?

I honestly don&#39;t need chains to drive - I lived in PA for 10 years and never put chains on a car.

But these stupid ski resorts here in CA require that you have chains on your tires when it snows... pretty lame - but I&#39;ve actually been turned away trying to get to Mammoth once.

Any suggestions??

I really need to find something that looks like it fits - even if I drive 2 miles - away from cops - and then take them back off...

Thanks

Andre
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Same here, I grew up in NY, they would laugh at the idea of chains there.

So far, I have no solution. Cables just will not work safely. Next step is to try snow claws to see if they fit. Don&#39;t know if California will allow them for snow though.

Anyone tried them yet?
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Mazda Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
I have SCC Shur Grip Z cables on my 6, model #SZ331. I just made sure they remained tight, haven&#39;t tried them on it since its been lowered.

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Learners License

Hi all,

I was up at Mammoth and it dumped about 3 feet of snow in 24 hours. I bought a set of Z cables for my stock 04 Mazda6 SW and ended up not even leaving. The cables made a clicking noise every time they would go around - they were hitting the arm that is right above the front wheels. Check your car out and you will see that there is only about 1/4" of clearance for any sort of chain or cable. Is this clicking detrimental? I was afraid of getting a few miles out of town and having them come flying off.

Please let us know if anybody has a specific brand and size they have successfully used!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 PM

I found a link for some cables. Maybe this would be an option. It says it only requires 1/4" clearance. Go to this site.....

http://www.vulcantire.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page