What Tire Brand you have? - Page 48 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #471 of 564 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Six-wheeler
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (K110), 225/45R18, to replace the Dunlop SP Sport 2050 that came stock on my second brand new 2009 JDM, which I just took delivery of Thursday morning.

The Hankooks are quite noticeably stiffer than the Dunlops, but offer much better grip and feel. The set on my other 2009 JDM are still going strong after 38 thousand kilometers.

Now the two 2009's and the Miata have the same Hankooks, and the 2005 is probably getting a set soon.

Shady
1994 Mercedes E320 sedan. How it's done right.
2009 JDM Mazda 6 2.5 MTX #1. Most people are mediocre by choice. I'm not most people.
2009 JDM Mazda 6 2.5 MTX #2. A fool and his money - but it is his money.
1991 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 GLX-i sedan. Mom's. Don't ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #472 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

I finally need new tires on my '04 6S (215/50 R17") so I've been looking all over the interwebs for info and can't really find what would be best for all season (including snowy winters in Chicago).

Checking the Consumer Reports Buying Guide for 2009 I'm shocked to see that the OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's are the top pick - NO WAY would I buy those, especially for what they sell for. I had no idea these were so overpriced.

2004 Mazda6s Sedan, AT, Lapis Blue, Loaded, Sports Package/sports grill, K&N Air Filter

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction. Turns out all I wanted was a Club Sandwich."
Homer J Simpson
post #473 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to JerseyBoy357
Currently rolling on Dunlop (SP) Sport Signatures. 215/50/17. I like em.

B

The company website states that name "stems from Ahura Mazda, the highest Zoroastrian God of reason who granted wisdom and united man, nature and the other gods." It also notes that the name sounds like that of the founder of the company, Jujiro Matsuda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #474 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Thanked 1,168 Times in 855 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
QUOTE (VinDali @ Feb 18 2010, 12:13 PM)
Quote:
I finally need new tires on my '04 6S (215/50 R17") so I've been looking all over the interwebs for info and can't really find what would be best for all season (including snowy winters in Chicago).

Checking the Consumer Reports Buying Guide for 2009 I'm shocked to see that the OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's are the top pick - NO WAY would I buy those, especially for what they sell for. I had no idea these were so overpriced.[/b]
More proof that CR doesn't know a damn thing about automobiles or anything related to them.

Anyway, if you want to go all-seasons for a decent price, check out the following performance all-season tires:
BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Goodyear Eagle GT

All three tested well in Tireracks testing, and (less importantly) are decently rated in their surveys. The BFGs have been around for awhile, but the Contis and GYs are brand-new. They should offer a great balance of dry and wet traction, as well as giving you some grip when the snow flies. Each is also listed for below $125 per tire.

Another choice is the Yokohama Avid W4S. I use these as my summer tires, and they've been outstanding in both wet and dry traction, without being too loud or riding too harshly either. I don't recommend them for winter driving, because Tirerack isn't lying when they say they tested poorly in snowy conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #475 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Groans: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I just recently purchased a set of Kelly Fierce Instinct ZR 225/40 ZR18.

They are noisier than the Exclaims and Potenzas that preceeded them. Dry handling seems to be as good as the Generals and Bridgestones were. In rain and snow they FAR exceed the abilities of the Exclaim UHP and Potenza RE040.

They look a lot like the Goodyear Eagle GT. Being a Goodyear subsidiary it would not suprise if they have the same casing and other parts...maybe even the same compound. Like the Eagle GTs they are a little noisy.

I think I'll keep them. See if I can get used to the noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #476 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 18 2010, 02:26 PM)
Quote:
More proof that CR doesn't know a damn thing about automobiles or anything related to them.[/b]
Agreed - I let the subscription run out last year. It never was helpful on my LCD, Home Theater, Refrigerator or digital camera purchases - info was always old and useless cuz new models had already replaced recommended ones in the monthly mag (not just the buying guide).

Any way, I had a set of GY Eagle GTs put on this afternoon.

2004 Mazda6s Sedan, AT, Lapis Blue, Loaded, Sports Package/sports grill, K&N Air Filter

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction. Turns out all I wanted was a Club Sandwich."
Homer J Simpson
post #477 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Groans: 2
Send a message via AIM to TwoChevZs Send a message via Yahoo to TwoChevZs
Yokahama S-Drives. I love them. Almost as good as my Potenzas that came stock with the speed. But definantely better than the Continental Extreme Contacts. i hated those tires. I run 225/40/18.

2006 Platnium Mettalic SPEED6- AEM Cold Air Intake chooped to SRI, CPE catback w/ no mufflers, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, SU Ultimate Blow Off Valve, Sharkfin Atenna, Eyelids, Meagan Racing springs, Prosport Boost gauge, TWM Stage 2 SS, Blue Leds on interior, Custom FMIC, cpe rear diff mount, turbine tech diff mount, both AWR front mounts, cpe standback turned to 21psi, SU rear brace, ACT clutch street disk. Amsoil in every orface. 225/40/18 Yokohama S-Drives, Dashhawk to keep up with vitals
post #478 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to triplejumper18
Sumitomo HTR Z III

Americas/Discount Tire price matched onlinetires.com

post #479 of 564 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Learners License

I have the Conti Extreme Contacts. I really like them for everyday driving, great traction in the snow and occasional aggressive driving. I really like the look of the tread pattern too, even though it's rarely seen. I think anything would be better than the crappy stock Michelin's!
post #480 of 564 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just put on my Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs yesterday.

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 AT

2006 Mazda 6 Sport GT-V6 MT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page