What Tire Brand you have? - Page 44 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #431 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 MazdaSpeed6 GT

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 225/45ZR18 for spring,summer,fall.

Blizzak LM-25 225/45R18 snows for winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (HenryK @ May 1 2009, 12:04 PM)
Quote:
2007 MazdaSpeed6 GT

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 225/45ZR18 for spring,summer,fall.

Blizzak LM-25 225/45R18 snows for winter.[/b]
HenryK, you're back! Why did you delete all of your previous message, replacing them with a single period, a couple of months ago?
post #433 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Learners License

Replaced the OEM Michelin's recently. I actually didn't mind the tires although I thought the wet traction could have been better and they were reaching the end of their life. They rode nice and were quiet and handled decent. I don't drive my car very hard and I do a lot of highway right now so a high performance summer tire wasn't what I need. If they were the original ones then they lasted 45k. Too pricey though as many have mentioned.

I went with Bridgestone Turanza's with the new serenity technology. We'll see how that works out. So far they are great to drive on and have better wet and dry traction than the Michelins. $180 apiece installed, with a $100 bridgestone rebate on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #434 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (Speedtree @ May 1 2009, 06:50 PM)
Quote:
Replaced the OEM Michelin's recently.

I went with Bridgestone Turanza's with the new serenity technology. $180 apiece installed, with a $100 bridgestone rebate on top.[/b]
You seriously overpaid. Our condolences.
post #435 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
QUOTE (posttosh @ Apr 18 2009, 10:28 AM)
Quote:
Any FWD car will cause wear of the front tires at least twice as fast as it causes wear on the rears. Some Mazda6's have caster/camber/toe-in such that the outside edges of the front tires wear out even faster; some don't; but if you do not rotate your tires frequently, your fronts will wear much faster than your rears.

There are two schools of thought about how to live within those parameters. One school says that you rotate your tires frequently to keep the wear even. The other school says just let your fronts wear down to the indicator bars, then move the rear tires to the front and put a pair of new tires on the rear. (There is a third school that says always put new tires in front; that school is wrong, but it gets repeated a lot, anyway.) I subscribe to the wear-out-front, replace-rears school.

For safety, you always want to have the pair of tires at the rear to have: (a) the better dry grip -- usually inversely proportional to the Treadwear number on the sidewall, and (b) the deeper grooves/channels for water evacuation. This can cause a dilemma when the less-worn tires (deeper grooves) have the higher Treadwear rating (less grip). In that case, I usually recommend putting the tires with the better dry grip at the rear, on the theory that in most cases, the front tires will have "wiped" the pavement mostly dry fractions of a second before the rear tires reach the same spot of pavement.

The reason you want more grip at the rear is the same reason that most bicycles are set up so that the right -- in most people the stronger hand -- handbrake stops the rear wheel and the left (weaker) handbrake stops the front wheel. If you grip hard on only the front wheel brake of a bicycle, the front digs in and the rear is likely to rotate right over the top and throw the rider. If the front wheels of a car dig in while the rear wheels lack sufficient traction to bite, the rear end of the car is likely to come around in front of the stationary front wheels.

The final consideration in this calculation is mixing all-season and non-all-season tires. Generally, all-season tires have 20 to 40 percent less friction (stopping power) on wet pavement than non-all-season tires do, due to the chemical alterations to the tread compound of all-season tires to lessen their tendency to shed water: that means that they ride on a film of water whenever the pavement is wet. You need to take that into account, then, in deciding which tires to put at the front and which to put at the rear.[/b]

Thanks. Helpful information.
post #436 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Learners License

QUOTE (posttosh @ May 1 2009, 11:09 PM)
Quote:
You seriously overpaid. Our condolences.[/b]
They were 160 apiece at tirerack plus 40 shipping so I basically paid 10 apiece for mounting and balancing and I supported my local tire shop. If you have a better idea I'd like to know.
post #437 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 PM

QUOTE (posttosh @ May 1 2009, 08:02 AM)
Quote:
The price the consumer pays for a replacement Pilot HX MXM4 is many tmes the price that Mazda pays for the tires it fits as OEM on the cars. Part of the pricing model of tire manufacturers is to sell tires to car makers as OEM fitment at cost or even below, on the theory that many car owners will blindly replace the tires when worn with the identical model. The tire maker then recoups from the replacement market the margin of profit that it discounted to the car maker. "Eye gouging" is one way to describe that practice.

Your screen name is Lavaboy and you write of "paradise"; may we infer from that screen name and comment that most of your driving is in Hawaii? It rains there, right? Does not snow a lot, I suspect. You really have no need for light snow capability in that case, and need not live with the compromises it imposes. See this post (click). The all-season ZE912 and the non-all-season HTRZIII are not the same tire.[/b]
Well so far I'm experiencing these tires. Lots of rain here and good mix with dry conditions. So far these tires are holding well. They are little stiffer like you said but road noise is very little compare to the eroding HX. For the price I'm getting my moneys worth. We have alot of cars on the roads here so perfromance driving is at a minimum. Plus all the alcohol related accidents and deaths recently theres speed traps all over the place. I really wanted the zIIIs but budget was the issue. Thanks for the advice.

'04 M6 Performance White
Sports Trim/Spoiler
Favorite Mod - Superbright White Led 194s with matching 6000Ks
post #438 of 564 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM

QUOTE (posttosh @ Apr 18 2009, 10:28 AM)
Quote:
There are two schools of thought about how to live within those parameters. One school says that you rotate your tires frequently to keep the wear even. The other school says just let your fronts wear down to the indicator bars, then move the rear tires to the front and put a pair of new tires on the rear. (There is a third school that says always put new tires in front; that school is wrong, but it gets repeated a lot, anyway.) I subscribe to the wear-out-front, replace-rears school.[/b]
If you are driving the AWD Speed6 you never want to follow the 2nd or 3rd school of thought. This particular car must have all tires the same size and within about 2/16ths of wear. Other wise you are really overworking the transfer case that sends power to the rear wheels. The sensors in the car read the difference in tire size as slippage, and try to constantly compensate. This car normally drives mostly as if FWD, transferring little torque to the rear unless it senses the need. With hard acceleration, or slippage up to a maximum of 50% of torque is transferred to the rear. You must maintain equal make, size and wear for the tires on this car. Or you will be replacing the transfer case, it gets mighty hot. (change fluid one a year at least). This is not the case with Speed3 at its FWD.
Differential size tires on this car also can cause the DSC stability control to be activated as it sees the size difference as slippage and will apply brakes and retard throttle as it deems appropriate. The car is designed for equal rates of rotation at each corner.
And yes if you need to replace one tire, you either need to have it shaved to match the others or buy four new ones. You has to pay to play.
post #439 of 564 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Learners License

QUOTE (LaserTagPro @ Feb 17 2009, 04:17 PM)
Quote:
The Pirelli PZero Nero tires in size 215/45-18 came stock on my 6s and I liked them so much I bought the same when they were worn out. A compromise between grip and longevity that suits me just fine. [/b]

I have a MS6 and when I was searching for tires after I obliterated the Potenzas, I found these. I have had them a just over a year and love them. Good price range and grip the road well. Can be a little rough at first in the cold but once the warm up, look out.

The cool thing that I liked is that they are built with the 6 in mind.

and they gots a really cool calendar.
post #440 of 564 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Learners License

Send a message via Yahoo to KJHagan87
Alright guys I made it over here to Germany and was informed that during winter here is more icy than snowy... I've got stock 18's (mazda 6S) and in need of probably a good all season tire. They do checks here on base when it gets to that time when ice become a problem and then give you a 70 (euro) fine and then revoke your driving privileges until the discrepancy is fixed. So for those people who live in the icy winter states what are your opinions? I am originally from southern California so I am not used to this all season tire stuff. Any advice would be great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page