LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
So, exactly what size do you have on there? What is the load rating? Also, what brand and model? You keep saying you have the proper load rated tire on your car and I have my doubts.
[/b]
It's ok, Toyoguy. He bought the car this way so it's okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
It's ok, Toyoguy. He bought the car this way so it's okay.
[/b]

Toyo guy....
The Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/30R20 has a load rating of 91 and a speed rating of Y..
You yourself said that at least a 91 with a speed rating H of was OK....

I do not have that brand of tire on my car, I have Toyo Proxes 4 mine have a load rating of 90
a load rating of 90 is 1323lbs..
a load rating of 91 is 1356lbs..
a difference of 33 lbs..

Do you honestly believe that Mazda would leave so little room for error in todays lawsuit happy world...
I highly doubt it....
If you believe that then they should have different load ratings based on the vehicles options... dual power seats, power moon roof and sport spoiler would bump you a speed rating or two, where if you didn't get those options you could buy cheaper tires of a lower rating...

I will NEVER get anywhere even close to the load capacity of my 6, much less within 150lbs of it.....
So I guess I am plenty safe if I go by the rules

[
post #223 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jonathan_6775
Quote:
I have 19's and I love them very much thank you. lol
[/b]
GOD DAMN RIGHT.....i think 19's are perfect for this car, the perfect size to fill the gap
i have DUB dirty dog 5 on my 6 and it looks puuurrfect
19x8.5

Quote:
I have 19's and I love them very much thank you. lol
[/b]
GOD DAMN RIGHT.....i think 19's are perfect for this car, the perfect size to fill the gap
i have DUB dirty dog 5 on my 6 and it looks puuurrfect
19x8.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Toyo guy....
The Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/30R20 has a load rating of 91 and a speed rating of Y..
[/b]
Really? Not sure where you're getting your information. Tire Rack says the Pzero Nero in that size has a load rating of 88.

PZero Nero on Tire Rack

Pirelli's own website says the tire has an 88 load index:

PZero Nero on Pirelli

Same as every other 235/30R20 on the market. It's the right overall diameter, but none of them can carry enough load for the vehicle.

235/30R20 - other brands

I'd grant you the 90 vs. 91 argument, as you could simply adjust the air pressure to compensate. 88, however, is too low. You HAVE to run 50 psi to barely cover what the stock tire can do at 32, with nothing in reserve. It's your car, do what you want, but I didn't just join the tire business yesterday.

Current: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red
Previous: 2006 6s 4-door ATX Dark Cherry
Previous: 2004 6i 5-door ATX Volcanic Red

post #225 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Really? Not sure where you&#39;re getting your information. Tire Rack says the Pzero Nero in that size has a load rating of 88.

PZero Nero on Tire Rack

Pirelli&#39;s own website says the tire has an 88 load index:

PZero Nero on Pirelli

Same as every other 235/30R20 on the market. It&#39;s the right overall diameter, but none of them can carry enough load for the vehicle.

235/30R20 - other brands

I&#39;d grant you the 90 vs. 91 argument, as you could simply adjust the air pressure to compensate. 88, however, is too low. You HAVE to run 50 psi to barely cover what the stock tire can do at 32, with nothing in reserve. It&#39;s your car, do what you want, but I didn&#39;t just join the tire business yesterday.
[/b]

Humm.. I&#39;m not sure... in the first link they show the
245/35 ZR20
(95Y) XL

and the

255/30 ZR20
(92Y) XL

but not the

235/30/20

The link below is where I found the info on that PZero... they might have a miss print

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1784/

Thank you for finally putting the 20&#39;s are unsafe arguement to rest by agreeing that 20&#39;s can be safe (my tire has a 90 rating)

The guy giving me crap in the other thread about being unsafe was the one with the 17&#39;s that had the 88 rating... he was spewing crap about 20s being unsafe because of the load rating when he himself had a much lower load rating than I did :P

It just goes to show that not all tires are created equal, reguardless of size.. I think this is something everyone can agree on

Anyway.... here&#39;s my tire...you should recognize the Toyo Proxes4 sidewalls

[
post #226 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Anyway.... here&#39;s my tire...you should recognize the Toyo Proxes4 sidewalls

[/b]
Yes, I do. But here&#39;s the problem. 225/35R20 has an overall diameter of 26.4 inches. The stock overall diameter is 25.5 inches (there are variances between manufacturers and some list the stock o.d as much as 25.7 inches). The general rule of plus sizing is to stay within -2% or +3% of the original equipment overall diameter. Which means you can fit a tire with an o.d. as large as 26.2 inches safely. Going beyond that has the potential to adversely affect engine computer functions, ABS calculations, etc. Not saying that it will, but there&#39;s a high probability. Your setup is pretty borderline. I suppose if you HAD TO HAVE 20s, this would be the most acceptable setup.

So, for the record, the ONLY acceptable 20 inch fitment on a Mazda6 (as of today) is 225/35R20 XL.

post #227 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM

The Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105, in a 225/35-20 have a load rating of 92. So I guess it&#39;s safe to run a 20" wheel on a Mazda6 now.

CANADA / TORONTO MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR Current Dyno - 205whp, 180wtq
post #228 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105, in a 225/35-20 have a load rating of 92. So I guess it&#39;s safe to run a 20" wheel on a Mazda6 now.
[/b]
Actually, that&#39;s for the 235/35R20. The 225/35R20 is load rated 90.

And for the record, while there may now be a "safe" application of 20s on a 6, that still doesn&#39;t make it a smart thing to do. Blue70&#39;s setup, for instance, adds 7 lbs. (28 lbs wheel, 22 lbs tire) of unsprung weight to each corner. IIRC, for each 1 lb. of unsprung weight you add, it&#39;s like adding 8 lbs. of vehicle weight. So, Blue70 has, in effect, added an extra 224 lbs. of weight to his vehicle. That has to have negative effects on fuel economy, handling and performance, not to mention the added stress to the rotors (which may result in premature warpage) and increased risk of sidewall and wheel damage due to less impact protection. It may look cool, but it&#39;s still not a smart move, especially where performance is concerned.

post #229 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Wow, I guess I didn&#39;t think that statement through. Thanks for the correction.

CANADA / TORONTO MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR Current Dyno - 205whp, 180wtq
post #230 of 305 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, that&#39;s for the 235/35R20. The 225/35R20 is load rated 90.

And for the record, while there may now be a "safe" application of 20s on a 6, that still doesn&#39;t make it a smart thing to do. Blue70&#39;s setup, for instance, adds 7 lbs. (28 lbs wheel, 22 lbs tire) of unsprung weight to each corner. IIRC, for each 1 lb. of unsprung weight you add, it&#39;s like adding 8 lbs. of vehicle weight. So, Blue70 has, in effect, added an extra 224 lbs. of weight to his vehicle. That has to have negative effects on fuel economy, handling and performance, not to mention the added stress to the rotors (which may result in premature warpage) and increased risk of sidewall and wheel damage due to less impact protection. It may look cool, but it&#39;s still not a smart move, especially where performance is concerned.
[/b]
I agree..

Back when I first put 315/35/17&#39;s on my 03 Mustang you could feel the difference... the extra weight slowed how quick the car would accelerate.
(A set of 4.10s and a supercharger fixd that )

But then again I will never be any where near within 224lbs of the max weight the car was designed for, so I&#39;d say I am still good
(I have had my wife in the car once in the month I&#39;ve owned it :P )

I&#39;m sorry and I don&#39;t want to ruffle any feathers, but I don&#39;t consider a 6 (or at least my 6) a performance vehicle...
I just had a son and needed a family car with 4 doors and I thought someone did a decent job with all the extras that came on my car.. If I was looking for performance I would have kept looking

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page