Mazda 6 Forums banner

Choosing the Right Size Tire

249K views 303 replies 143 participants last post by  mozz 
#1 ·
There are a lot of questions posted about which size to use, and how wide of a wheel to use, especially when plus-sizing on the US-spec 6. So, here is an easy guide to refer to when looking for replacement tires. First, let's breakdown what the size numbers/letters mean:

P215/50R17 93V

P = Passenger Tire (does not appear always)
215 = Section width (in millimeters)
50 = Section height or aspect ratio (ie. sidewall is 50% of section width)
R = Radial construction
17 = Rim diameter (in inches)
93 = Load Index
V = Speed symbol

All of the components of your tire size are important, but when choosing a replacement or plus size, many of those numbers will change. You may have a wider tire with lower aspect ratio and a larger wheel. However, the last two characters are the most important.

For the US-spec model, you MUST choose a tire with at least a 91 (or greater) load index and a speed symbol of H or greater (H, V, Z, W, Y) [NOTE: Winter tires are excepted from this stipulation]. These last two characters refer to the internal construction of the tire and it is important to maintain the same or greater load and speed capability of your tires as per Mazda's recommendation.

What follows is a guide, by rim diameter of the acceptable replacement sizes for your 6, which rim widths are acceptable for that size and the minimum inflation pressure for that size on your 6. Please refer to this guide before posting questions about what will work on your 6 (for simplicity, I am excluding the P designation and the load index/speed symbol, see above for requirements). This list has been thoroughly researched. If you don't see a size listed here (ie 215/45R17), then it is not recommended for the US-spec 6.

16" (original equipment wheel is 16x7)

205/60R16 5.5"-7.5" 32 psi *original equipment size*
215/55R16 6.0"-7.5" 33 psi
215/60R16 6.0"-7.5" 32 psi
225/55R16 6.0"-8.0" 32 psi
235/50R16 6.5"-8.5" 32 psi

17" (original equipment wheel is 17x7)

215/50R17 6.0"-7.5" 32 psi (93+ load index), 33 psi (91 load index) *original equipment size*
225/45R17 7.0"-8.5" 35 psi
225/50R17 6.0"-8.0" 32 psi
235/45R17 7.5"-9.0" 32 psi
245/45R17 7.5"-9.0" 32 psi

18" (original equipment wheel is 18x7)

215/45R18 7.0"-8.0" 35 psi (6s, 6i), 38 psi (Mazdaspeed6) *original equipment size*
225/40R18 7.5"-9.0" 38 psi
225/45R18 7.0"-8.5" 38 psi
235/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi
245/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi

19"

225/40R19 7.5"-9.0" 36 psi
235/35R19 8.0"-9.5" 39 psi
245/35R19 8.0"-9.5" 36 psi

20"

225/35R20 7.5"-9.0" 40 psi NOTE: This fitment is BORDERLINE, but acceptable. Make certain you are choosing a reinforced tire (LOAD RATING 90).

NOTE: Section widths of 235 and above will probably require fender rolling. Check the offset of your wheels carefully before purchasing replacement tires. I was going to also include the overall diameter for each tire, but this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer by .1-.2". Suffice to say that these tires fall within the "-2%, +3%" rule, meaning they are not more than 2% smaller or 3% larger than the original equipment tires, which have an overall diameter of 25.5 inches.

TAKE NOTE: When selecting replacement wheels and tires, the relationship of the wheel width to tire section width is very important! For maximum handling benefit, mount the tire on the widest wheel that size will allow. Mounting a tire on the narrowest width allowed will give better ride comfort, but won't give the best handling. In many cases, handling may be worse than before by mounting a wider tire on a narrow rim (ie. 235/40R18 on an 8 inch wide wheel vs. 215/45R18 on an 8 inch). Installing wider tires on your 6 will likely yield a handling improvement only if you have a wheel wide enough to take advantage of the extra tire width.

See less See more
#178 ·
TG - Tx for reply.

So, I should be OK with 225-45? Stranegly they show as accepting up to 51 psi on Tire Rack, maybe that's for track use? I'm thinking of upgrading to BG RE-01R, more treadwear/$ and more grip. I have to get all 4 tires warraneed, they got flat spotted on the dealer's lot. I bought road hazard protection for the oe wheels/tires, and even tho there's no road hazard involved I'm hoping that helps. Yoko Advan07s were the top tire in the category on Tire Rack, but it might be hard to get those as warranty replacements and they supposedly can never see temps below 14F - so you can't even park it outside in January.
With luck they'll let me pony up the difference between 050 and 01R (thus they make a few $ off the transaction) and mount the 01s. The 050s seem to wear fast on the outside edges & I don't drive like all that fast.

#179 ·
Hey all, huge amount of info here; I've gone blurry-eyed trying to take it all in. I'm looking to buy some new tires+wheels and, after reading through our forums and doing my own research, here's what I'd like to get:

Wheels
ASA AR1 Black w/Mach Lip
18" x 7.5
Offset: 52mm
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size: 225/45-18
**Lightweight: 21.5lbs.**
Cost @Tirerack.com: $156.00 * 4 = $624.00

Tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season
225/45ZR18
Load Rating: XL
Load Index: 95
Speed Rating: Y
UTQG: 420 AA A
Cost@Tirerack.com: $162.00 * 4 = $648.00

Add in locks and S&H+Fees and TOTAL COST = $1,685.02

Seems a bit hefty, but I really like the look of the wheels and the tires rate very well in pretty much every category. Still, I live pretty far north (last week was as cold as -46C with wind, and today was in the -30C range with wind...so plenty of packed snow and very icy roads) and I've always had summer and winter tires. I'm a bit concerned about "all-season" tires. I think I'd be lucky if 50% or more of my winter driving is on "dry" roads. The reason I'd take all-season is a cost issue; I want excellent tires, but two sets means keeping stock exhaust (entire system) for a good while longer. That's fine since it's pointless to boost power when I can't even get stock power to these icy roads.

My thought process is as follows:
If all-seasons work great on ice, then new wheels+tires, sell stock wheels+tires.
If not, then buy the aforementioned wheels and put summer tires on those. Buy winter tires and put them on the stock wheels, see if I can sell stock tires. Now what type of winter tires to buy? High Performance winter, or studless ice and snow?

Long post here, I know. But this will likely be the single most important purchase for my car. Performance of the tires is my #1 priority. Tread wear is probably #2 with cost as the 3rd most important factor. Wheels...whatever I think looks cool and will fit tires that does not require any fender rolling. Tire size preference is 225/40or45R18. What offset would be required to fit without rolling? Would 52 do the trick?

Anyone with significant cold, icy, snowy winter driving or tire gurus have any advice? Thanks!

#180 ·
Hey all, huge amount of info here...and I've always had summer and winter tires. I'm a bit concerned about "all-season" tires. I think I'd be lucky if 50% or more of my winter driving is on "dry" roads. The reason I'd take all-season is a cost issue; I want excellent tires, but two sets means keeping stock exhaust (entire system) for a good while longer. That's fine since it's pointless to boost power when I can't even get stock power to these icy roads.

My thought process is as follows:
If all-seasons work great on ice, then new wheels+tires, sell stock wheels+tires.
If not, then buy the aforementioned wheels and put summer tires on those. Buy winter tires and put them on the stock wheels, see if I can sell stock tires. Now what type of winter tires to buy? High Performance winter, or studless ice and snow?[/b]
My advice? Keep the stock exhaust as long as you need to, invest in the rims that you like, put summer tires on them, and invest in a set of good snow tires on the stockers.

I can tell you from experience, going from a dedicated snow tire BACK to an all-season in the snow is NOT cool. You don't realize just how good snow tires are in the nasty weather until you don't have them anymore. Plus, not only is it "pointless to boost power" without adequate traction, as you mentioned, but snow tires help to stop and steer as well, two more things that an exhaust system won't do, and the peace-of-mind that you'll get using snow tires is icing on the cake.

As far as the type? That's your call. The "studless ice & snow" tires are very aggressive in the snow and ice, but most of them handle poorly in dry conditions and wear down relatively quick. The "performance winter" tires sacrifice a slight amount of extreme snow traction for better control and handling in dry conditions, as well as a longer treadlife. My Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s are considered "performance winter" tires and are on their 4th season (about 16K miles). They have plenty of tread left, they're very good in the snow and ice for my needs, and even though they may not be as good in extreme weather as the "studless ice & snow" models are, the clear advantage they have in dry conditions more than makes up for it.

#181 ·
-I can tell you from experience, going from a dedicated snow tire BACK to an all-season in the snow is NOT cool.
-The "studless ice & snow" tires are very aggressive in the snow and ice, but most of them handle poorly in dry conditions and wear down relatively quick.
-The "performance winter" tires sacrifice a slight amount of extreme snow traction for better control and handling in dry conditions, as well as a longer treadlife.
-My Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s are considered "performance winter" tires and are on their 4th season (about 16K miles).[/b]
Thanks! That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for and has helped make my decision. Now to find local prices...

#182 ·
HI! I have a quick question.
I just brought a set of wheels, the spec are 18x7.5 with +48mm offset.
The spring on my car is the Tein S Tech ( the green one), which already gave me a 2inch drop at the front and 1.8 inch drop to the rear.
What kind of tires can put on the wheels without rolling my fender?
If I have to roll my fender, what tire size can I put on?

Thanks

#183 ·
HI! I have a quick question.
I just brought a set of wheels, the spec are 18x7.5 with +48mm offset.
The spring on my car is the Tein S Tech ( the green one), which already gave me a 2inch drop at the front and 1.8 inch drop to the rear.
What kind of tires can put on the wheels without rolling my fender?
If I have to roll my fender, what tire size can I put on?

Thanks[/b]
Because of the 7.5 inch width, You only have 3 sizes to choose from:

215/45R18
225/40R18
225/45R18

You shouldn't need a fender roll with any of these and +48 offset wheels, but you may want to roll them just in case.

#185 ·
hey whats up guys. i brought a set of rx-8 factory wheels and am gonna get them PC'd gloss black with white accenting. my question is.............

what size tires should i get?

my car is lowered with Tein S-Techs with the rear quarters rolled because of my last set of rims.

i think the rx-8 wheels are 8" wide........correct?

thanks for the help

#186 ·
hey whats up guys. i brought a set of rx-8 factory wheels and am gonna get them PC'd gloss black with white accenting. my question is.............
what size tires should i get?
my car is lowered with Tein S-Techs with the rear quarters rolled because of my last set of rims.

i think the rx-8 wheels are 8" wide........correct?

thanks for the help[/b]
235/40R18 should fit no problem.

#188 ·
I'm looking to buy some 18" Enkei RP03 rims I'm debating getting the 7.5" with 48mm offset which should be fine or the 8" wide rim with 45 offset, and what would be the best tire size for each, pretyt specific, I just started working at a tire place this week and will be purchasing wheels in a in the next few weeks and rimsby may, I only ask because I can get a really really good deal on Kumho Ecsta MX at wholesale and the wholesale prise is on sale lol, so I want to buy the tires now and the rims to slap em on later.[/b]
Hey sup, I was just looking over the forum and I saw your post, Im actually having the same debate you were having back in Jan, just wondering what you ended up doing, going with the 7.5" or 8" on the 18"rims? I was actually thinking of getting 18" with 8.5" but the guy selling me the rims didnt recommend it with 225/40r18 so i had to dropdown to 7.5" cause they didn't carry 8". So basically i need a second opinion from someone with experience, just hoping the 7.5"s look good!!

#189 ·
question!!....

emmm, i got a good deal for 235/45R17 falken 912. would it fit my stock tires? i know it's listed as 17x7.5 recommended, but in the falken sites, this size is actually for our car (although not the same tires)

#190 ·
What is the stock 16" tire size for the 2007 6i? I know that the first post in this thread lists stock sizes but that was written before my car came out.

Some areas say it's 16x7 (114.3) but if I go on Tire Rack, they are saying it's 16x6.5 (114.3). Which one is correct?

#191 ·
I am looking at a set of wheels size is 18x8 with a +45 offset.
I checked the manufacture website and it would not list and vehicles, nor could I even find the name of the wheels.

I am looking at these for a 2006 Speed6

Found someone else on the Forum that has this exact size, and they fit with no rolling on the SP6

#192 ·
QUOTE (DownFlyer @ Jul 31 2008, 09:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1402397
What is the stock 16" tire size for the 2007 6i? I know that the first post in this thread lists stock sizes but that was written before my car came out.

Some areas say it's 16x7 (114.3) but if I go on Tire Rack, they are saying it's 16x6.5 (114.3). Which one is correct?[/b]
Tire Rack ftw.

Early 16" alloys (03/04?) were 7" wide, 55mm offset.

In 05+, 16" wheels were steel, 6.5" wide, 55mm offset.

17" are 7" wide 60mm offset. I think 18" are also 60mm offset (55mm for MS6 18").

#194 ·
so it has been stated that you have 2 choices for stock Mazdaspeed6 wheels... either 215/45/18 or 225/45/18 size tires. i'm looking at getting a set of general exclaim uhp all seasons. i'm leaning towards the 225's because i will prolly be picking up a set of 18x8 rota torques after the new year. any input in this decision making process? thanks.

#195 ·
hey whats up everyone?
i just need some help as well on this whole wheel/tire fitment issue...

I currently have the tein basic coilovers, and i am interested in getting the tenzo type M rims which are 19x8.5 with an offset of 45.

now what i wanted to know is, how would a 235/45R19 tire would fit on this rim?
In addition, would i need to roll my fenders or would this not fit at all? lol

All sorts of help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance =)

#196 ·
Hi guys, I have a question on a set of snow tires + wheels I saw advertised. I have a 05 Mazda6s 5 door that are 17" stock. I saw a set of michelin pilot alpine pa2 225 50 17 17x7.5 5x114.3 25 off set. Does anyone know if these will fit on my car without any fender rolling? Thanks.

#198 ·
thanx for all the info but now im even more confused....i have stock suspension and my car has kenstyle body kit....would a 19 inch rim fit, the specs for the rims are, petrol mahal 2 rims (19 x 9 in front(offset +18) and 19 x 9.5 in rear(offset +35) two piece forged Petrol. 5x 114.3 bolt pattern) and also what tires whould i put on it?....im really confused and would like all the help i can get!!!

#199 ·
With those wheel dimensions and offset, it won't fit. I think 19x8 with a +45 offset is probably the widest you can go on a 19 inch wheel that sits flush with the fender. So, you're too wide and the offsets are too low. Not to mention, stock suspension and running a staggered set up on a fwd car will look... bad.

#200 ·
Mazda6s 2004 5dr, stock 17" rims, and susp. Which tire size will be better 225/45/17 or 225/50/17. I moved to Europe recently and took my mazda, looking at getting the Uniroyal Rain Sport 2.

I searched this thread to see if anyone asked this question before but i did not find anything.

Thanks

#202 ·
QUOTE (DB0511 @ Mar 6 2009, 11:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1529674
Mazda6s 2004 5dr, stock 17" rims, and susp. Which tire size will be better 225/45/17 or 225/50/17. I moved to Europe recently and took my mazda, looking at getting the Uniroyal Rain Sport 2.[/b]
Get the 225/50R17.

The RainSport 2 is a neat tire. We'll never see them in North America, though. A few years back, Michelin bought the merged company that makes Uniroyal and BFGoodrich, and in North America, Uniroyal and BFG are second-line Michellin brands. Before that acquisition, though, Continental had acquired the rights to sell tires in Europe under the Uniroyal brand, so European Uniroyals are made by Continental, not Michelin. Trademark laws will always keep Continental Uniroyals from being sold in North America, more's the pity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.