Choosing the Right Size Tire - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 304 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Marko343 Send a message via MSN to Marko343 Send a message via Yahoo to Marko343
I'm looking to buy some 18" Enkei RP03 rims I'm debating getting the 7.5" with 48mm offset which should be fine or the 8" wide rim with 45 offset, and what would be the best tire size for each, pretyt specific, I just started working at a tire place this week and will be purchasing wheels in a in the next few weeks and rimsby may, I only ask because I can get a really really good deal on Kumho Ecsta MX at wholesale and the wholesale prise is on sale lol, so I want to buy the tires now and the rims to slap em on later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~- ^CarDomain Link^ -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 304 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm looking to buy some 18" Enkei RP03 rims I'm debating getting the 7.5" with 48mm offset which should be fine or the 8" wide rim with 45 offset, and what would be the best tire size for each, pretyt specific, I just started working at a tire place this week and will be purchasing wheels in a in the next few weeks and rimsby may, I only ask because I can get a really really good deal on Kumho Ecsta MX at wholesale and the wholesale prise is on sale lol, so I want to buy the tires now and the rims to slap em on later.
[/b]
From what TG Posted:

18"

215/45R18 7.0"-8.0" 32 psi
225/40R18 7.5"-9.0" 38 psi
225/45R18 7.0"-8.5" 32 psi
235/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 33 psi
245/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 32 psi

If you want to run a 235 series tire, you will need the 8 inch wide rim. Other than that, it depends on what tire you want to run and its all about preference. Also, if you plan on rolling your fenders completely, you shouldnt have fitament problems with either rim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 304 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Learners License

Send a message via AIM to Braski6
Can someone tell me, I have 17" MOMO tuner wheels but i have no idea what the offset is. The stock tires are on them now and I'm wondering if I can get away with a 225/ wheel, and what aspect i should use?

P.S. I know NOTHING, if you cant tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 304 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Can someone tell me, I have 17" MOMO tuner wheels but i have no idea what the offset is. The stock tires are on them now and I'm wondering if I can get away with a 225/ wheel, and what aspect i should use?

P.S. I know NOTHING, if you cant tell
[/b]
You should really look up the MOMO website and see if you can find your wheels and see what the offset might be. Without knowing anything AND TOTALLY GUESSING, If you have your stock wheels on and you are fine, as long as your 17" momo wheels have a 7 inch wide rim, you should be able to eyeball if you can run a 225 series tire. Look at the tire and picture how it will go with your suspension fully compressed. As long as it isnt dead close, you SHOULD be able to put a 225/45/17 on there.

Again, this isnt 100% fact because I dont know your offset and rim width, Im just making an educated assumption based on 17x7 being the standard rim size and since going from a 215/50/17 to a 225/45/17 is only a very minor change.

post #45 of 304 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 PM

I have a set of 17x7.5 rims w/ +48 offset. Should I be able to use a 225/50 tire without rolling? I don't plan on lowering. I haven't seen anyone else with this particular setup. Thanx.

camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.
post #46 of 304 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to migueloo Send a message via MSN to migueloo
I was wondering if I can fit a 235/45 tire on a 17x8 ET48 rim. I'm going to try them next after my advan neovas wear out...lol. those tires look like r-comps..haha

silver 03 6s mtx - Cpe intake, draxas cat-back, d2 coilovers, koni yellows, endless brakes, wagner headers and y pipe, ssr comps, 235/45/17 RE-01R, dg motorsports cf hood, erbuni grill, black euros, folding mirrors, JL audio speakers/amp and 2 10w3.

post #47 of 304 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was wondering if I can fit a 235/45 tire on a 17x8 ET48 rim. I'm going to try them next after my advan neovas wear out...lol. those tires look like r-comps..haha
[/b]
That should work (at least the tire + rim combo is okay). You'll probably have to roll fenders.

Quote:
I have a set of 17x7.5 rims w/ +48 offset. Should I be able to use a 225/50 tire without rolling? I don't plan on lowering. I haven't seen anyone else with this particular setup. Thanx.
[/b]
Should be okay, but don't hold me to that!

Current: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red
Previous: 2006 6s 4-door ATX Dark Cherry
Previous: 2004 6i 5-door ATX Volcanic Red

post #48 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
From Nitto&#39;s own website:

225/30ZR20 85W Overall diameter: 25.35 inches

This tire is the right height, but with a load index of only 85, how can you say that this tire has enough load capacity? For the umpteenth time, the Mazda6 REQUIRES A 91 LOAD INDEX MINIMUM! (Damn, I just burst a blood vessel!)

But hey, what do I know? Obviously nothing.
[/b]
Technically speaking, a 225/30/20 Pirelli P-Zero Nero has an overall rolling diameter of 25.5". That&#39;s only .1" off from the stock 25.6" O.D. on my MS6&#39;s 215/45/18&#39;s. That&#39;s about as good of a match as you can get in the tire world. +/- .2" is the recommend tolerance but +/- .4" is a very common occurance. 20&#39;s do not pose a problem, fitment wise, if the proper offset is achieved with the right wheel width. Shoulder profile varies from tire to tire as well which may help or hinder fender and control arm clearance.

The load rating on the same 225/30/20 is an 85, equivalent to 1235lbs per tire. Muultiply that by 4 tires gives you a total load rating of 4940lbs.

A 6i weighs about 3050lbs with my MS6 weighing in at 3600lbs. So on my heavier MS6 that leaves 1340 lbs for passengers and cargo.

Four extremely large 250lb adults would still leave you with room for 140lbs of cargo in the trunk or an average female passenger in the middle rear seat. Realistically speaking I only weigh 170lbs which leaves me 1170lbs for cargo and passengers. Remember, you have an additional 200-300lbs of load capacity if you&#39;re driving a non-turbo 4cyl or V6.

Plus, tire manufacturers conservatively buffer the load rating on a tire for safety reasons so they can actually handle more than they are rated for.

I personally wouldn&#39;t do a 20 but that&#39;s not to say that it can&#39;t be done successfully or safely. Heat causes tires to fail, so as long as you&#39;re not exceeding the load rating of all four tires or the speed rating for more than 20 minutes, such as towing a 2000lb boat at 320km/h for a 4 hour trip to Montreal, you should be fine. I&#39;ll bet you any money anyone who would do 20&#39;s probably rolls single or tandem most of the time and doesn&#39;t find himself in a car full of people with tons of cargo in the back.

06 Liquid Platinum MAZDASPEED6
Engine: Custom AEM SRI, HKS SSQ BOV, SU motor mount, CPE StandBack, 3” DP back SS exhaust, Susp: Megan Racing springs, SPC adjustable ball joints, 24mm Whiteline Adjustable rear ASB, Wheels: 19” Rays G-Games Wolf-77 2-pc rims, 235/35/ZR19 Kumho SPT, Exterior: VG Sharkfin antenna, Fusion rear bumper, Electronics: Jl audio 250/1 powered, factory sub w/ 1.5 Farad cap, Audiolink usb mp3 player, Beltronics Vector FX-1
Vector FX-1 #&#39;s b4 standback ET: 13.2s, Trap: 105.8mph, 60ft: 1.88s, 0-60: 4.9s, lateral G&#39;s: 0.94, braking G&#39;s: 0.97
post #49 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
dj petey, I don&#39;t know where you get your information, but you&#39;re way off base. First of all, we don&#39;t use curb weight to determine load rating of a tire to a specific vehicle. We use GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). That means the tires must be capable of handling more load than the springs/suspension. GVWR is always much higher than curb weight.

Also, your reasoning is flawed because you&#39;re only taking into account static weight. You&#39;re not factoring in transfer loading which occurs while the vehicle is in motion. Under acceleration, braking and turning load shifts to the rear, front, left and right. When performing those maneuvers aggressively, the transfer loading increases. It&#39;s even more so when passengers and cargo are on board. It may not last long, but under those stress/load conditions, the tires must be able to handle that amount of load which is much higher than what you&#39;re talking about. The load is not distributed evenly.

The "reserve load" you refer to is not that the tires have more load than what the sidewall says, it&#39;s that we reduce the number on the sidewall by 10%. If that number still exceeds the GVWR, then you have a safely load rated tire for that vehicle. So, the 1235 on your 20s must be reduced to 1112. The GVWR is 4491 lbs. for the wagon (the heaviest model in the range). 1112 x 4 = 4448. Not enough. Plus, you&#39;d have to run them at 50 psi just to get this amount of load. How many people do you know are going to drive around with their tires pumped to 50 psi all the time? Not going to happen. This is why I keep insisting that you maintain a load index of 91 or greater.

Current: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red
Previous: 2006 6s 4-door ATX Dark Cherry
Previous: 2004 6i 5-door ATX Volcanic Red

post #50 of 304 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Learners License

Send a message via MSN to Aravikus
Should I trust a dealer&#39;s "what fits?" data on their homepages?

I&#39;m going to buy wheels via internet because in my city (monterrey, mexico) we don&#39;t have a decent wheel dealer so i&#39;ve been carefully reading all the info in the forums and on the web and mostly interested in pics of wheel mods on mazdas .

(btw... i own a 6i and so far, i&#39;m particularly interested in König&#39;s Theory 18").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page