Choosing the Right Size Tire - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 304 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered User
 
BigBens6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigBens6
OK, I know that a 225/40/18 is not a good choice for my factory 18*7 wheels because fo the angle the side wall is at, but with my ROta 18*8 wheels would a 225/40/18 fit ok, it seems like it would but I dont want to cause problems, if I got a 235 would i look to a 40 or a 35 side wall for best fitment?

2006 Ti Grey MS6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I'd rather replace my brakes than my engine, so other than the occasional heel/toe downshift I don't put the stress on the engine of compression braking. It's not a diesel.
"I know right? Engine braking...thats crazy. Holy crap though...can you imagine engine acceleration? Jeezus. I'm glad I don't do that!"
- Crossbow -
BigBens6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 304 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tire Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
OK, I know that a 225/40/18 is not a good choice for my factory 18*7 wheels because fo the angle the side wall is at, but with my ROta 18*8 wheels would a 225/40/18 fit ok, it seems like it would but I dont want to cause problems, if I got a 235 would i look to a 40 or a 35 side wall for best fitment?[/b]
225/40 is fine for 18x8. If you're going 18x8 though, 235/40 is really the best choice because it is closer in overall diameter to the stock tire (less speedo error).

Current: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red
Previous: 2006 6s 4-door ATX Dark Cherry
Previous: 2004 6i 5-door ATX Volcanic Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_______________
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
People who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
Tire Guy is offline  
post #143 of 304 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 
BigBens6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigBens6
Thank you sir!

2006 Ti Grey MS6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I'd rather replace my brakes than my engine, so other than the occasional heel/toe downshift I don't put the stress on the engine of compression braking. It's not a diesel.
"I know right? Engine braking...thats crazy. Holy crap though...can you imagine engine acceleration? Jeezus. I'm glad I don't do that!"
- Crossbow -
BigBens6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #144 of 304 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered User
 
rpalmerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wernersville, Pa
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews


Hello All!

I&#39;ve been reading many posts and horror stories of winter wreckage with the stock Bridgestone Potenza (215/45R18) tires. I&#39;m looking for a good recommendation for All season tires. I&#39;m hearing alot about Falken, Toyo & Pirelli. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I live in a townhome and don&#39;t have the storage capability for another set of rims and tires so I need something for all four seasons. Also wondering about size. Can I go bigger than the 215 or is that a NO-N0. Thanks everyone. Please help, planning on buying something tomorrow....

2007 MSP GT Black Mica ~ CPE CAI ~ TWM Stage II short shifter w/bushings ~ Forge BPV ~ Focal 6.5 Component K2 Power & Focal Polyglass VR 6.5 2-Way-Focal ~ K2 Subwoofer ~ Alpine 1000W mono ~ Alpine 4x150W ~ JBL Clean Sweep ~ "1" Farad Capacitor ~ RPM Street Springs ~ Bilstein shocks ~ 25% Tint ~ OZ Superleggera III Wheels ~
rpalmerj is offline  
post #145 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southwest OH
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Hello All!

I&#39;ve been reading many posts and horror stories of winter wreckage with the stock Bridgestone Potenza (215/45R18) tires. I&#39;m looking for a good recommendation for All season tires. I&#39;m hearing alot about Falken, Toyo & Pirelli. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I live in a townhome and don&#39;t have the storage capability for another set of rims and tires so I need something for all four seasons. Also wondering about size. Can I go bigger than the 215 or is that a NO-N0. Thanks everyone. Please help, planning on buying something tomorrow....[/b]
Join the crowd, HD62. I&#39;m looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season, although they don&#39;t come in 215/45R18. Next size up is 225/45R18. From what I can tell, you may be able to use the 7" rims, but just barely. Worse case is that I sell the existing MS rims and buy new ones, but I&#39;d rather not invest in new rims right now.

There isn&#39;t much available in the stock 18" on the Mazdaspeed rims.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
Overpar56 is offline  
post #146 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Hi everyone, can I install narrower tires on a OEM 17inch rim wheel? like 195 or 205 instead of 215?
hokman is offline  
post #147 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered User
 
posttosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Very Near to the Center of the Known Universe
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Hi everyone, can I install narrower tires on a OEM 17inch rim wheel? like 195 or 205 instead of 215?[/b]
As to 205s, yes. You will need to go to a higher aspect ratio (55) than the 50 aspect ratio of the stock 215s in order to keep speedometer/odometer accuracy and so as not to alter gearing too much. .

In fact, arguably, the highest performing street tire presently made that is a good fit for the OEM 17x7" rims is the Yokohama ADVAN Sport 205/55R17. We run those on our Mazda6, and they are superb.
posttosh is offline  
post #148 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
As to 205s, yes. You will need to go to a higher aspect ratio (55) than the 50 aspect ratio of the stock 215s in order to keep speedometer/odometer accuracy and so as not to alter gearing too much. .

In fact, arguably, the highest performing street tire presently made that is a good fit for the OEM 17x7" rims is the Yokohama ADVAN Sport 205/55R17. We run those on our Mazda6, and they are superb.[/b]
Thanks. I actually want faster acceleration by having smaller diameter, so is it ok I choose 50? Advan is what evo9 uses? How about Potenza RE050 (oem on jap made 6 215 45R17)?
hokman is offline  
post #149 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered User
 
ydrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Looking to see if I can use a leftover set of winter tires ...

With my 2006-6s 5-dr, the OEMs are 215-45R18, and from what I can determine by reading posts here the OEMs are 18x7 wheel, +55 offset.

I have 225-50R17 tires on 17x7 +40 offset. Post on the first page says:

With your fenders rolled as much as possible, you MIGHT get the following combinations to work:
a 225 wide tire on a +40 wheel


But it doesn&#39;t say whether it makes a difference on differently sized R16/R17/R18 tires. I don&#39;t want to roll the fenders - how will I know whether I need to do so? Are we talking about the front and/or back fenders? If so, when I put the tires on, will it touch the car body? Is there supposed to be a certain length gap between 2 points? Height-wise, both the OEM 18" and my winter 17" tires are the same.

Thanks

2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
ydrone is offline  
post #150 of 304 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tire Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Thanks. I actually want faster acceleration by having smaller diameter, so is it ok I choose 50? Advan is what evo9 uses? How about Potenza RE050 (oem on jap made 6 215 45R17)?[/b]
205/50R17 and 214/545R17 are borderline fitments. There are so many other sizes on the list to choose from that work, why would you want something that doesn&#39;t work as well as other fitments? Going smaller diameter to get better acceleration is not sound reasoning. You will also add increased wear and tear to your driveline because everything will be spinning faster now. 225/45R17 is what I would recommend.

Current: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red
Previous: 2006 6s 4-door ATX Dark Cherry
Previous: 2004 6i 5-door ATX Volcanic Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_______________
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
People who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
Tire Guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome