Mazda 6 Forums banner

What works!

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  chikoo 
#1 ·
We've had numerous people ask if this works or that works. Maybe we can start a sticky with what wheel/tire/spring combinations we all have including offsets and tire sizes so that we won't have so many threads asking the same questions. Each person can include their own information and maybe one of the mods can start a stickied thread with the pertinent info.

03 6s 5spd
17x7 +45 offset
215/45/17 tires
Eibach springs
No fender rolling
No rubbing

Something like that, including all of your info. Just an idea.

#6 ·
Reading Topic: What works!

This won't work. Some +45 offset rims are not actually +45 offset. All 215mm wide tires are not even CLOSE to 215mm wide. Aggressive tires should always be wider than cheap all-seasons. Rim width matters. You can't generalize like this.

Add to that the fact that I'm sure a lot of people are rubbing and clueless about it, and you'll see why this won't work.

Look at Crossbow's picture. That's the only way short of removing your shocks to determine if you will actually rub or not. All that, "I didn't rub until I lowered my car" stuff is bullshit... the wheel travels in the same path regardless of the springs you have installed. All this tells us is that you drive like a weeny usually, and you never actually used up your suspension travel on the stock springs.

The best upgrade you can get for your car is better tires. Better tires are almost always wider, regardless of their rating. This is because tires stick better when they distribute their load over a larger surface. To accomdate such tires, you want a very-close-to-stock offset. I'd try to stick with a +55 offset, if possible, but nobody makes an aftermarket wheel like that. Try buying RX-8, RX-7, IS300, or MSProtege OEM wheels.

Just to throw off your results, I'm on a quoted +50mm offset on small-diameter 16x8" RX-7 rims and inch-smaller diameter Yoko AVS-I 225/50/16 tires. I still rub. If I rub, how is it possible that some of the above people don't?

Threads like this have come and gone, and people with identically spec'd setups have had very different results. Again, you can't generalize like this. Change your wheels at your own risk, and realize that a lower offset will fit at the expensive of tiny, crappy tires.

If someone wanted to compile a spreadsheet detailing everything from tire and wheel brand and model, that would be more useful information.

As Crossbow said, be sure to indicate how you drive... but I sincerely doubt most people here, even driving aggressively, would get to the point of rubbing. I was rubbing, but didn't realize it until I installed the Eibachs. The '6 has a lot of suspension travel and has stiff shocks to slow wheel movements. You'll have a hard time rubbing on the stock springs unless the car is full AND you're cornering AND you hit a good bump. Check your rear tires for minor scrapes and the top of the fender for small bends.

#7 ·

Thats an excellent point stretch.

Just because you don't "hear" rubbing, doesn't mean its not happening. Only an inspection of the tire and the wheel wells will show whether your rubbing or not.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting rubbing in that photo above, even though I'm running pretty much a stock config.

When you hear rubbing...that means its "excessive".

I'm almost sure if I ran some of the config's posted here...I'd shear my tire off...or at least heavily damage it in a single run.

#8 ·
Replying to Topic 'What works!'

Nobody said this would be the ultimate guide to what works and what doesn't. It is helpful to know what other people are using and how it works for them. If anybody needs any other information like tire manufacturer, section width, overall diameter,etc. they can use the pm button and ask. I was just trying to be helpful and keep a lot of these excessive useless posts of "will this work, can I run these tires?". Catch my drift. I understand that different tires have different sizes and I hope other people do to. You didn't have to come in here and write a book about how "this will never work". I think a lot of other board members would like to know what works for other people, etc.

BTW if your tires are rubbing and you don't know it, you have more serious problems.

#9 ·

npwhite,

You can rub the tires and just not hear it...if its a slight rub.

Lots of people drive around with their windows up, AC on, and music blaring.

Its quite easy to miss a very minor rub, which only occurs during certain situations.

I just wanted everyone to mark in their little explanation if they drive their car aggressively enough to cause excessive body sway (as per my photo), thus indicating if they were in a situation where minor rubbing could turn into "major".

And of course, do something "similar" but not exactly like this...

#10 ·

Hats off to npwhite6...I was thinking of starting a thread just like this.

Most of us don't drive like the picture indicated above, I do understand what Stretch is also saying and agree to some extent...but a general guide will help n00bs like myself as as to what may work and what definitely will not.

So whilst it is not the be all and end all of guides it is a start to get people thinking before they post...

#12 ·

If you are going to post your specs, post the MANUFACTURER of both the rims and tires so that we don't just generalize setups.

#13 ·

Guys, there is only one problem i can see with most of the mods you make, The original diameter of the Michelin MXM4 is 25.46. The range you can play with without 2% higher and 3% lower, which is limiting uour choices. The exact tire diameter can be obtain by using 235/45R17, but htey are too wide. Your best option would be 225/45R17 or 225/40R18 waith a proper offset. Anything around 215/40R18 would be close to the limit cause it is near 3 % lower. I have seen some driving on 215/35R18, which is way too small, since it is what we put on civic and small cars like that.

Just my advice on tires
By the way, finding some rims for that car is really a pain in the ass. I work in a garage myself and I am seriously considering puting some 17 cause 18's are giving a lot of problems....

One Punch Dude

#15 ·
Replying to Topic 'What works!'

Originally posted by Stretch

The best upgrade you can get for your car is better tires.[/b]
Agreed.

Better tires are almost always wider, regardless of their rating.[/b]
Did not know that.

This is because tires stick better when they distribute their load over a larger surface.[/b]
True and no true. debatable point.
There is always an optimal point. any more wider and you would be losing traction, rather than gaining traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.