Different brake systems on the Mazda6? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different brake systems on the Mazda6?

Hi Guys

I have been lurking in this forum for some while now. I have a 2005 Mazda6 Sport with the 2006 facelift. Love the car but it needs a few repairs from time to time.
The issue at hand is that I need a new front left brake caliper since the old one is worn and sticking.
But here comes the wierd thing why the many different brake systems?
On a page with spare brake calipers i have encountered at least these brands for the brake system: Akebono, Shin Tec, NBK, Nabteco?
What is the difference between these? And how do I figure out which one I need? Why so many available haven't seen that before?
I replaced the brake pads and rotors not long ago and I got Akebono pads then. They fit perfectly. But can I then assume that the caliper is also Akebono?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I don't think you need to worry about the brand vs the application. There are many brands for different parts but they should all be within Mazda specs. The 1st gen can be confusing when it comes to the brakes because they were still "figuring it out". When getting brake parts, as long as you get the right ones for your system, it could have whatever brand name it wants.

The main things to note are 03-05 or 06-08, ABS or non ABS, and Mazdaspeed or non Mazdaspeed.

The cool thing to also note is if you have the original 03-05 system, swapping to 06-08 from the hard lines down is a little upgrade because they are a little bigger. From what I've read, swapping from the 03-05 system to a Mazdaspeed system is an even bigger upgrade.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Just to remind people looking at this thread - he's up in Denmark, which is most likely why the brands he has up there are different than what most of us in the U.S. see.

I would say, if you're not sure, then go with the brand that you already know fits the car.

Typically, there will be several manufacturers who develop sets of parts for many cars. It's common to find at least a few who make identical parts for the same car. For example, RockAuto alone has Power Stop, Centric, Raybestos, Nugeon, Beck/Arnley, ACDelco, and Cardone all listed as having calipers/parts for the 2006 Mazda 6.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Raydiate View Post
I don't think you need to worry about the brand vs the application. There are many brands for different parts but they should all be within Mazda specs. The 1st gen can be confusing when it comes to the brakes because they were still "figuring it out". When getting brake parts, as long as you get the right ones for your system, it could have whatever brand name it wants.

The main things to note are 03-05 or 06-08, ABS or non ABS, and Mazdaspeed or non Mazdaspeed.

The cool thing to also note is if you have the original 03-05 system, swapping to 06-08 from the hard lines down is a little upgrade because they are a little bigger. From what I've read, swapping from the 03-05 system to a Mazdaspeed system is an even bigger upgrade.

Below are the 2006 MPS brakes on the 2004 6 wagon. They are behind 18inch wheels.
If the brakes bolt on and clear all the moving bits then it will work. The above modification was the same as doing a brake job and the improvement was huge.
I would choose the part based on warranty and reviews. All will likely work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Mazda 6 with 320mm Mazdaspeed 6 brakes and RX8 18ince wheels.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	227786  

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Below are the 2006 MPS brakes on the 2004 6 wagon. They are behind 18inch wheels.
If the brakes bolt on and clear all the moving bits then it will work. The above modification was the same as doing a brake job and the improvement was huge.
I would choose the part based on warranty and reviews. All will likely work well.

If you used all speed brake calipers I hope you switched the master cylinder too as it has a larger bore to deal with the need for more pressure and volume for the bigger calipers.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
If you used all speed brake calipers I hope you switched the master cylinder too as it has a larger bore to deal with the need for more pressure and volume for the bigger calipers.

Thanks @1blk1 for the thoughts. Since I am disk/disk (1-piston) to disk/disk (1-piston) and I don't race the car I was not interested in increasing my pedal effort with the larger bore of the speed 6 unit. While it's true it may reduce my pedal slack a fraction, I have never felt these brakes to have excessive travel before braking contact. The stock master cylinder has no problem achieving 1200+ PSI before or after the upgrade.
What I have now is significantly reduced stopping distance at the same pedal pressure (relative) and the same stopping as before with reduced pedal pressure (relative).
Cheers.

Mozz-D
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
It has nothing to do with pressure. You would not feel a difference in the pedal between the 2. The key difference is volume, the larger calipers require more volume, not more pressure.

I'm not saying it is dangerous, I am saying you are leaving some of the advantages of the larger brakes off the table as without the higher volume of fluid they simply will not push as hard as they could. If you think those brakes are great now you would very likely be quite surprised once the proper master cylinder is put in. Your choice, but you are leaving a fair bit of performance by not doing this.

CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
It has nothing to do with pressure. You would not feel a difference in the pedal between the 2. The key difference is volume, the larger calipers require more volume, not more pressure.

Thanks for the comment. I disagree, as pressure is the only thing it is about. That is the very nature of hydraulic systems. Volume just ensures that as the pads wear down the system doesn't drop low and suck air. Volume does not push the piston out, pressure does. And for pedal feel, a 0.25 in increase in diameter will increase pedal force (to do the same work) by just over 75%

Thanks for letting us disagree.
Back to our previously scheduled thread.

Mozz-D
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Garage
Doesn't matter if you post it twice, it does not make it right. Volume is just as important if not more important, especially for rear brakes. It was more obvious on 80's/90's trucks with 1/4 " rear lines to feed the massive 13"+ drum brake systems. They simply required more volume.

As for Speed6 brakes with a stock 6 master, you are not pushing the same amount of fluid with the stock master. You get the SAME pressure with MORE volume with the Speed master. If you cannot grasp that you are trying to fill up bigger calipers with an undersized pump (master) then it should make more sense. The Speed6 master is identical in every way except for bore. This in no way effects pressure. It only effects volume.

It is simple science, Google is your friend if it still doesn't add up.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
Quote:
Doesn't matter if you post it twice, it does not make it right.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page