Replaced Factory Rotors and Pads with EBCs - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerrycobra
  • 1 Post By Jerrycobra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Replaced Factory Rotors and Pads with EBCs

So as its already common knowledge the stock brakes on the 3rd gen suck, i got the pulsing brakes right on schedule between 30 to 40k miles. I decided to finally replace them with a set of aftermarket EBCs last Nov. The front is the ultramax slotted rotors with redstuff pads, P/N S4KF1663 , and rear I just threw in red pads, P/N DP32171C. If you researched earlier brake threads there was some issues with suppliers sending the wrong rear redstuff pads and that they were not available, well I can now safely say that DP32171C are in production and does fit 2014-2015 3rd gen 6s, but I can't guarantee they will work with the updated 2016+ model with the electronic E brake.

As far as braking performance goes these are great, no squealing, plenty of stopping power, my limiting factor of stopping distance is the crappy OEM tires I still have(will replace very soon). The only downside these have is when they are cold they don't stop as well, they need heat to work their best.

Also as a word of caution, I ran into an issue with air getting stuck inside the dust boost when I was reseting the front brake pistons, so they were sticking out. Not knowing how to fix it I just tried to finesse the pad into place to not pinch to boot. Then I found this youtube video:
Well I took the pads out to check and ended up pinching and tearing one of the boots, and wished I found that video earlier. Anyways I was able to find a caliper rebuild kit (Centric P/N 143.45028)and just replace the boot without needing to replace the whole caliper for a silly mistake. So learn from my mistake, don't do it again like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new brakes.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	983.1 KB
ID:	227008  
DrFeelGood likes this.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Last edited by Jerrycobra; 03-19-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycobra View Post

... I can now safely say that DP32171C are in production and does fit 2014-2015 3rd gen 6s, but I can't guarantee they will work with the updated 2016+ model with the electronic E brake.

You got me excited until you mentioned the E brakes...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
You got me excited until you mentioned the E brakes...
parts sites are quoting DP32287C for 2016+ models, but the official EBC catalog does not reflect that yet.
calcaneous likes this.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Those are pretty sweet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 48 Times in 41 Posts
thats what mechanics are for
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycobra View Post
So as its already common knowledge the stock brakes on the 3rd gen suck, i got the pulsing brakes right on schedule between 30 to 40k miles. I decided to finally replace them with a set of aftermarket EBCs last Nov. The front is the ultramax slotted rotors with redstuff pads, P/N S4KF1663 , and rear I just threw in red pads, P/N DP32171C. If you researched earlier brake threads there was some issues with suppliers sending the wrong rear redstuff pads and that they were not available, well I can now safely say that DP32171C are in production and does fit 2014-2015 3rd gen 6s, but I can't guarantee they will work with the updated 2016+ model with the electronic E brake.

As far as braking performance goes these are great, no squealing, plenty of stopping power, my limiting factor of stopping distance is the crappy OEM tires I still have(will replace very soon). The only downside these have is when they are cold they don't stop as well, they need heat to work their best.

Also as a word of caution, I ran into an issue with air getting stuck inside the dust boost when I was reseting the front brake pistons, so they were sticking out. Not knowing how to fix it I just tried to finesse the pad into place to not pinch to boot. Then I found this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezYhKfiTcBw Well I took the pads out to check and ended up pinching and tearing one of the boots, and wished I found that video earlier. Anyways I was able to find a caliper rebuild kit (Centric P/N 143.45028)and just replace the boot without needing to replace the whole caliper for a silly mistake. So learn from my mistake, don't do it again like me.

Unfortunately, I did the EXACT same thing with the dust boot and tore both my fronts thinking I set them back properly. Living in the NE I knew it would be a bad idea to not replace these.

So yup, I bought two seal replacement kits and rebuilt the two front calipers. Not a fun experience to be honest, but it was interesting to learn how to do that. Also just like you, I saw this video right after I tore the seals.

Excalibur - 2014 Snowflake White Pearl Mazda 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page