post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Front Tower Strut Bar

I’m thinking of installing this part for my car because I want it to be a bit stiffer especially in corners. Is there a noticeable difference with this suspension piece added?

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-2.5L/AT

Mod List
1. Debadge (lol) 03/09/2019
2. Interior LED's 03/16/2019
3. Front Strut Tower Bar 03/23/2019
4. Front License Plate Delete (lol) 03/24/2019
5. CorkSport Axelback Exhaust 03/29/2019
6. CorkSport Rear Sway Bar 06/15/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
IMO it is an excellent upgrade to the front suspension at a very reasonable price while adding very very little (maybe 1 lb?) additional weight. Check out the link to my build thread below in my signature.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
IMO it is an excellent upgrade to the front suspension at a very reasonable price while adding very very little (maybe 1 lb?) additional weight. Check out the link to my build thread below in my signature.
Thanks for the input! This reply has pushed me over the edge to go on and buy it for my 2015!

Youtube:

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-2.5L/AT

Mod List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
They separated the strut towers from the firewall after 08?

2006 6 Hatch Grand Touring 5spd Sunroof

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groans: 2
IIRC the 2nd gen changed front suspensions.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modzas6x View Post
I’m thinking of installing this part for my car because I want it to be a bit stiffer especially in corners. Is there a noticeable difference with this suspension piece added?
Chassis stiffening is always worth it. The trick is to find where it's needed.
My early gen (also double wishbone) moderately benefited from a lower chassis bar but I felt nothing doing the strut bar afterward.
Not sure if there is any similarity but looking at pictures of the GJ it looks like the strut tops are right up against the firewall. I would imagine that to be pretty stiff.
How about doing them both, (upper and lower)?

or F&R upper bars

Down the rabbit hole we go...

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Myche View Post
IIRC the 2nd gen changed front suspensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
They separated the strut towers from the firewall after 08?
2nd gen was a refinement of the 1st gen's upper/lower control arm (aka double wishbone) setup - 3rd gen jumped to a MacPhearson Strut type. As far as I know the shock towers are still super close to the fire wall and connected to it, just not with any diagonal braces.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by wanting it to be a bit stiffer in the corners? This won't stiffen the suspension, but it will stiffen the body shell which should let the suspension work a little better. You'll probably feel it's effect by making turn-in a little quicker with less slop, plus it should feel more solid while turning and over road imperfections (more planted in bumpy corners). I know some guys fill the holes in their control arm bushings with urethane and stiffen those bushing, but otherwise you can't really make the suspension "stiffer" without changing out components.

Quote:
Thanks for the input! This reply has pushed me over the edge to go on and buy it for my 2015!
Have fun and make sure to review your strut brace! I would look at doing rear brace(s) as well, every ride in the back of my dad's 2015 makes me feel it could use a bit more chassis stiffness back there. In fact, I'd just go down the rabbit hole and do as many chassis braces as is reasonable for you. I thought the 6's chassis and body shell were pretty stiff when I drove one after it came out back in 2013, but driving my dad's 2015 6 back to back with my ATS shows how much the 6 could be improved.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD 225/255 Pilot Super Sports, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold and Manifold Spacer.

Last edited by Sydtron; 03-13-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
2nd gen was a refinement of the 1st gen's upper/lower control arm (aka double wishbone) setup - 3rd gen jumped to a MacPhearson Strut type. As far as I know the shock towers are still super close to the fire wall and connected to it, just not with any diagonal braces.

What exactly do you mean by wanting it to be a bit stiffer in the corners? This won't stiffen the suspension, but it will stiffen the body shell which should let the suspension work a little better. You'll probably feel it's effect by making turn-in a little quicker with less slop, plus it should feel more solid while turning and over road imperfections (more planted in bumpy corners). I know some guys fill the holes in their control arm bushings with urethane and stiffen those bushing, but otherwise you can't really make the suspension "stiffer" without changing out components.

Have fun and make sure to review your strut brace! I would look at doing rear brace(s) as well, every ride in the back of my dad's 2015 makes me feel it could use a bit more chassis stiffness back there. In fact, I'd just go down the rabbit hole and do as many chassis braces as is reasonable for you. I thought the 6's chassis and body shell were pretty stiff when I drove one after it came out back in 2013, but driving my dad's 2015 6 back to back with my ATS shows how much the 6 could be improved.

You're right about it not stiffening the suspension (I should have been more clear I'll be using coilovers for that.) But yeah, an update I did purchase a lightly used one from eBay (500 miles of usage) and I am anxiously waiting for it to come in so I can install!

Youtube:

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-2.5L/AT

Mod List
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does it really make a huge difference though for the front strut car at least? I just picked up a '17 Touring and noticed the shock towers are close to the firewall still. Back in the day with the older Integras and Civics, chassis stiffening played a huge roll because the shock towers were much further away from the firewall and rear/under braces put the chassis components together compared to nowedays which everything is literally one piece instead.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_raccoon View Post
Does it really make a huge difference though for the front strut car at least? I just picked up a '17 Touring and noticed the shock towers are close to the firewall still. Back in the day with the older Integras and Civics, chassis stiffening played a huge roll because the shock towers were much further away from the firewall and rear/under braces put the chassis components together compared to nowedays which everything is literally one piece instead.
I’ve had them for over 2 months and it feels very different. The car does handle significantly better with everything else being the same so I would recommend

Youtube:

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-2.5L/AT

Mod List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page