Mazda 6 Forums banner

Tanabe NF210 - TNF173 on 2018 Mazda 6 Wagon

14K views 50 replies 8 participants last post by  1BlinkGone 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to dropping my Mazda 6 wagon using the Tanabe TNF173.

I've asked around and was told that 2014+ and the 2018 springs have the same part number and I should not have any issues with the Tanabes.

Just wanted to double check with you guys since I am from the Philippines and will be having the springs shipped, would be a huge disappointment if these didn't fit :crying:

Anyone on here lowered their 2018 M6??

Cheers guys!

#2 ·
When I was shopping springs the only Tanabe springs that showed to fit the 2018 6 were the NF210's which is what I installed and yes, the NF210's 2014+ will work on the 2018.

Why the TNF173? I would double check as I'm not convinced they will fit. I'm not saying they won't - just didn't show that they would when I was researching 4 months a go.

#4 ·
I think we have a bit of confusion here, the NF210 is the spring series, TNF173 is the specific part number that fits all 2014-2018 Mazda 6 models so you guys are talking about the same thing.

I too have the Tanabe NF210 TNF173 springs installed on my 18 Mazda 6 and it was a exact fit. The only thing that would concern me with the wagon is that the rear end is a bit heavier than our sedans, it may sag a bit back there with the rear spring rates being softer than the fronts. But who knows, the weight is likely negligible and won't make a visual difference.

#12 ·
Where are you located? I have a set of new lowering springs for mazda 6 wagon (front 30 mm, rear 25 mm) which I will not be installing... manufacturer is Cobra Suspension (The Netherlands).

I got a great bargain (Amazon) and am willing to sell them cheap.

Edit: my springs are for wagon only, so probably sedan springs do not fit.

#16 ·
Hey bud, thanks for your message. I’m located in the Philippines. I’ve had a look into your post and it looks like your springs are for 2nd gen Mazda 6.

Also, I’ve confirmed with Mazda parts department locally that the springs are the same for wagon and sedan models.

Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Cheers, my springs are for GJ/GL wagon/sportbreak, so for skyactiv models, on sale in Europe since 11.2012.

Partnumber: COB4661 or 00.4661 (prtscr attached)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Cobra-COB4661-Federn-Mazda-6-30-25mm-/163039349796?autorefresh=true

Sedans have another part number for lowering springs, according to Eibach, Cobra Suspension and also according to the austrian mazda webpage (Kombi = Wagon, Stufenheck = Sedan). The springs you can buy directly from mazda are in fact Eibach springs.

https://www.mazda.at/service-zubehoer/accessories/mazda6/2016-09/aussenausstattung/410077797/

There is weight, weight distribution and wheelbase difference between wagon and sedan. I am sure the sedan springs would phisically fit the wagon though, just not sure how the car would sit... probably too low due to additional weight of wagon on the rear axle?

Attachments

#24 ·
Regardless of which springs you go with I would not buy new shocks. Just replace the springs. After doing so if you are not happy with the ride then you can look into different shocks (coilovers) that will accomplish what it is you are trying to rather than spend a lot of money and not get the look and or performance you're looking for.

Regarding H&R vs Tanabe, I don't think the one that's been in business the longest is necessarily going to be the better one. H&R absolutely make an excellent product but for me I like using a Japanese company for my Japanese vehicle.

I don't have any experience with H&R but can tell you that the springs Tanabe makes for the 6 are excellent. Fit, finish and performance are top shelf.

Pics:

https://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-videos/434130-idrives-build-thread-2.html

#28 ·
I’m not looking to replace my stock dampers. That’s why I’m asking how the different aftermarket springs perform with OEM shocks. Not looking to get much of a performance upgrade, just want to give my car a sportier look without sacrificing much of the comfort.
Well in that case, Tanabe (or maybe Corksport) is certainly the better choice because since they are not too stiff, they work well with the stock dampers. H&R is too stiff which will causing an annoying bouncy ride and wear out your stock dampers too quickly.

You should be fine as long as you get Tanabe's. According to @idrive and @Dougspeed they said that the ride is just a little bit stiffer than stock and the ride height looks about perfect to me. If you're willing to spend extra on Bilstein dampers that will definetely make the car articulate bumps and bad roads better than the stock dampers though.

Also, upgrading the dampers together with springs will bring the price a lot closer to coilovers, which are probably a better option if you’re willing to spend the money anyway.
Well, it depends on what sort of coilovers you are getting and who is tuning them. If the person tuning the coils know what they are doing then the coilovers have more potential. But the Bilstein's come very well tuned from the factory and they will easily outlast any other coilover on the market. I would rather go for Bilstein's over any coilover set.

#31 ·
Update: finally got my springs installed yesterday. Will post some photos once I get the car cleaned haha.

Quick question though, I know it’ll take a few weeks before the springs will fully set to the appropriate height, but I measured earlier and the rear left is sitting almost an inch lower than the rear right side. Is that something to be alarmed about? Or should I just let it set for a couple of weeks before I have it looked at?

#32 ·
Update: finally got my springs installed yesterday. Will post some photos once I get the car cleaned haha.

Quick question though, I know it’ll take a few weeks before the springs will fully set to the appropriate height, but I measured earlier and the rear left is sitting almost an inch lower than the rear right side. Is that something to be alarmed about? Or should I just let it set for a couple of weeks before I have it looked at?

Yes.

#35 ·
Sooooo, I had it checked by the installers and it looks like the springs were seated correctly and by the looks of it, it couldn’t have been set incorrectly unless you wanted to since there are guides where the end of the springs had to be mounted.

Not sure what the issue is. Will email the shop I got it from and maybe Tanabe as well just to see if maybe there was something missed?? Can’t seem to think of anything.

Hoping that the other side will settle to a level drop so I don’t have to worry about it.

#38 ·
Thanks! The ride is really good, very very slightly stiffer than OEM. My wife didn’t complain, so I’m good [emoji38]

Actually, after having it checked by the installer removing the wheel and jacking up the car has improved the height a little bit. It looks more even on both sides now. Visually, you can hardly see it, but you’ll know when you measure the actual height.

That might be so, car was just filled today, so that could be a factor as well.

#41 ·
Thanks mate. Any brand you suggest? Do you think I’ll need extended bolts? I checked earlier and my bolts are about 18mm from the base.

From what I’ve read, at least 10mm remaining and you should be good, so for most cars, 5mm spacers do not require extended bolts.

Also, that I should be looking for hub centric wheel spacers that have the appropriate diameter wheel bore, in my case 67.1mm.

Anything else I’ve missed?

#51 ·
Agreed. I've only used spacers once, for a brief time many years ago. (no, I never had any problems with them when I did) Their issues are twofold:

1. you have to be diligent and check the torque and re-torque those lugs for them constantly.

2. Using spacers will increase the loading on the wheel bearings (increasingly with the size of the spacer) and cause premature bearing wear.

For me, there is no reason I'd ever use them again. Too many offset options with aftermarket wheels today. That being said, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

#46 ·
@reindeers the car looks great!! Very beautiful view in the background as well.

How do the Tanabe springs feel compared to the stock? is the drop low enough for your liking? I can't decide if I would want a slightly more aggressive drop or not. The offset of your current wheels looks perfect BTW I would not bother with spacers.

#47 ·
Thanks! I’m really loving the ride of the new springs. It’s barely noticeable, you will feel the slight difference going over bumps at speed but aside from that, it’s almost like OEM. The drop is low enough to make the car look somewhat aggressive. I think you go for a lower drop, you’d have to go H&R, which from what I hear is much stiffer than the OEM springs.

Yeah, I think I will stick with the wheel offset. Thanks for that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.