JC's Review of Corksport BBK - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JC79G35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Thanks: 70
Thanked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Post JC's Review of Corksport BBK

I will use Zeffer's formula for reviews since he pretty much nailed it (why reinvent the wheel?)

https://corksport.com/2014-mazda-3-big-brake-kit.html

What is it?
It's an upgraded front brake kit that replaces the front calipers/rotors/lines. The brake rotor is larger and of course slotted. The caliper is not only prettier than stock, but has 4 pistons. Finally, the stainless steel lines to increase efficiency.

What's nice?
First, the looks are better than stock (duh). Second, stopping power is improved, actually took a little getting used to the shorter stopping distance. Third, the installation process was quite easy for your do-it-yourself mechanics. Corksport made this product very well on how easily it comes together. Finally, the lighter setup (and I can confirm this as the box with the stock parts in where the CS stuff was in was considerably heavier) gave my car a slightly noticeable better response.

What's not-so-nice? (sorry Zeffer, had to modify that lol)
You live in state that has winter and/or salt? Have fun with the brake lines. I first tried a line wrench and rounded it. I then tried a vice grip pliers but to no avail. Luckily, I had a friend with a torch so we heated up the driver's side line and got it off with vice grips, no problem. Another thing was vice grips size matters. We got the passenger side off with no heat. Turns out the size of the vice grips I was originally using were too large. Just an FYI for anyone tackling this.

Ease of install:
As I mentioned, the install (besides the brake line removal) was pretty easy. One thing to mention - keep the lines attached after loosening them and just rest the removed stock caliper on something. It will save you a ton of time bleeding. Oh yeah, the bleeding part. That's what I was most nervous about, but with keeping the lines attached and swapping them out once the new setup is in, it took only a few minutes to fully bleed the new calipers.

In conclusion, I really do like this kit. It is not terribly expensive in comparisons to BBK out there for other cars. The look, stopping power, and less unsprung weight.


toy4x likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
JC79G35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 20
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC79G35 View Post
I will use Zeffer's formula for reviews since he pretty much nailed it (why reinvent the wheel?)

https://corksport.com/2014-mazda-3-big-brake-kit.html

What is it?
It's an upgraded front brake kit that replaces the front calipers/rotors/lines. The brake rotor is larger and of course slotted. The caliper is not only prettier than stock, but has 4 pistons. Finally, the stainless steel lines to increase efficiency.

What's nice?
First, the looks are better than stock (duh). Second, stopping power is improved, actually took a little getting used to the shorter stopping distance. Third, the installation process was quite easy for your do-it-yourself mechanics. Corksport made this product very well on how easily it comes together. Finally, the lighter setup (and I can confirm this as the box with the stock parts in where the CS stuff was in was considerably heavier) gave my car a slightly noticeable better response.

What's not-so-nice? (sorry Zeffer, had to modify that lol)
You live in state that has winter and/or salt? Have fun with the brake lines. I first tried a line wrench and rounded it. I then tried a vice grip pliers but to no avail. Luckily, I had a friend with a torch so we heated up the driver's side line and got it off with vice grips, no problem. Another thing was vice grips size matters. We got the passenger side off with no heat. Turns out the size of the vice grips I was originally using were too large. Just an FYI for anyone tackling this.

Ease of install:
As I mentioned, the install (besides the brake line removal) was pretty easy. One thing to mention - keep the lines attached after loosening them and just rest the removed stock caliper on something. It will save you a ton of time bleeding. Oh yeah, the bleeding part. That's what I was most nervous about, but with keeping the lines attached and swapping them out once the new setup is in, it took only a few minutes to fully bleed the new calipers.

In conclusion, I really do like this kit. It is not terribly expensive in comparisons to BBK out there for other cars. The look, stopping power, and less unsprung weight.


Nice write-up, plus the pic at the end is a bonus. I like how Corksport's brake kit is slotted rather than drilled.

SS brake lines are kind of pointless though. The inside of your brake lines are already lined with steel.
Get Inline is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JC79G35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Thanks: 70
Thanked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Nice write-up, plus the pic at the end is a bonus. I like how Corksport's brake kit is slotted rather than drilled.

SS brake lines are kind of pointless though. The inside of your brake lines are already lined with steel.

Thanks, was not aware of the existing lines. Although they come with the set and you can't reuse the stock lines anyway on the upgraded calipers, so no biggie in the end.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
JC79G35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Learners License
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Don't forget to do brake bedding. or avoid hard braking for 500 mile
w1000i is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 48 Times in 41 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
from a distance people probably think they are covers lol



they just dont have that stock look
Mazda6Suspension is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JC79G35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Thanks: 70
Thanked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1000i View Post
Don't forget to do brake bedding. or avoid hard braking for 500 mile
Actually, they do include the steps to properly bed the brakes in the instructions. Very easy to do (just need no traffic, that's kinda the hard part :P)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
JC79G35 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered User
 
Dougspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
These look good, they fill in the wheels nicely and I'm all for less unsprung weight and better pedal feel.

That being said, my only concern is that when it comes to replacement, it appears that these rotors are a size specific to this Corksport kit and it can't be replaced with any other brand of rotors like Centric, Brembo, EBC or any of the other large aftermarket brake suppliers.
Dougspeed is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JC79G35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Thanks: 70
Thanked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
These look good, they fill in the wheels nicely and I'm all for less unsprung weight and better pedal feel.

That being said, my only concern is that when it comes to replacement, it appears that these rotors are a size specific to this Corksport kit and it can't be replaced with any other brand of rotors like Centric, Brembo, EBC or any of the other large aftermarket brake suppliers.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking the EXACT same thing today, except it was more in line with brake pads then the rotors. I am going to hit Corksport up about that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
JC79G35 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 20
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC79G35 View Post
Actually, they do include the steps to properly bed the brakes in the instructions. Very easy to do (just need no traffic, that's kinda the hard part :P)
For high performance brakes like Corksports, yes. But for regular street brakes? There's no need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
These look good, they fill in the wheels nicely and I'm all for less unsprung weight and better pedal feel.

That being said, my only concern is that when it comes to replacement, it appears that these rotors are a size specific to this Corksport kit and it can't be replaced with any other brand of rotors like Centric, Brembo, EBC or any of the other large aftermarket brake suppliers.
Pedal feel is largely influenced by servo motor, and stopping power is largely influenced by the grip of the front tires, so considering that replacing the pads/rotors on this BBK may be a bit of a challenge, I think it would simply be best to just stick to German OEM stuff such as Textar/Ferodo/Pagid/Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors.
Get Inline is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Registered User
 
Dougspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
For high performance brakes like Corksports, yes. But for regular street brakes? There's no need.



Pedal feel is largely influenced by servo motor, and stopping power is largely influenced by the grip of the front tires, so considering that replacing the pads/rotors on this BBK may be a bit of a challenge, I think it would simply be best to just stick to German OEM stuff such as Textar/Ferodo/Pagid/Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors.
Being that this is a Japanese car, most of those brands don't manufacture pads or rotors for it. I have used Zimmerman on the e39 and honestly, it was no better and possibly slightly worse than the OE branded parts. Just that they were quite a bit cheaper so that was a plus.

For Mazdas, and most other Japanese brands, the only choices outside of OE are usually Centric, Brembo, Akebono and EBC amongst the larger name brands. Also, it's not just the grip of the front tires, more aggressive pads make a significant difference in braking power AND pedal feel as well. On my old SC400, I experimented with a few different brands, some made the pedal feel worse and more vague than stock, other more aggressive pads gave it a confidence inspiring bite as soon as I depressed the brake pedal.
Dougspeed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome