JC's Review of Corksport BBK - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
Being that this is a Japanese car, most of those brands don't manufacture pads or rotors for it. I have used Zimmerman on the e39 and honestly, it was no better and possibly slightly worse than the OE branded parts. Just that they were quite a bit cheaper so that was a plus.

For Mazdas, and most other Japanese brands, the only choices outside of OE are usually Centric, Brembo, Akebono and EBC amongst the larger name brands. Also, it's not just the grip of the front tires, more aggressive pads make a significant difference in braking power AND pedal feel as well. On my old SC400, I experimented with a few different brands, some made the pedal feel worse and more vague than stock, other more aggressive pads gave it a confidence inspiring bite as soon as I depressed the brake pedal.
Zimmerman IS an OEM supplier for BMW, and many other European brands though. They are simply cheaper, rebranded Brembo plain discs. Great stuff.

Pads will make a difference, but I still think it is more important to just have good tires fitted. High performance brakes are not necessary unless you drive the shit out of your car. I am just dissapointed with the OEM brakes on our cars which warp far too easily.

If anyone is interested, here is a great thread I started on a different Mazda forums where I had a lengthy conversation with someone who worked for Ferodo, a European pad maker and he went to lengths to describe why these dusty German OEM pads are better than regular ones. Very interesting read: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Brake-Upgrade

fortunately, there are some German pads available for our cars, namely Textar (Which I have on my BMW, is dusty as shit but an excellent pad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Zimmerman IS an OEM supplier for BMW, and many other European brands though. They are simply cheaper, rebranded Brembo plain discs. Great stuff.

Pads will make a difference, but I still think it is more important to just have good tires fitted. High performance brakes are not necessary unless you drive the shit out of your car. I am just dissapointed with the OEM brakes on our cars which warp far too easily.

If anyone is interested, here is a great thread I started on a different Mazda forums where I had a lengthy conversation with someone who worked for Ferodo, a European pad maker and he went to lengths to describe why these dusty German OEM pads are better than regular ones. Very interesting read: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Brake-Upgrade

fortunately, there are some German pads available for our cars, namely Textar (Which I have on my BMW, is dusty as shit but an excellent pad)
That's the thing, the brakes on the Mazda 6 are too small for the weight of the vehicle, larger rotors with more swept area with better pads will improve both the feel and braking distance. I know it isn't really all due to our Falkens as I've hit the brakes hard a few times and rarely has it locked up the wheels and caused the ABS to kick in. The brakes on my Q50 however, are strong enough stock that it has triggered the ABS under a few hard braking conditions, AND I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around on that car.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

That's the thing, the brakes on the Mazda 6 are too small for the weight of the vehicle, larger rotors with more swept area with better pads will improve both the feel and braking distance. I know it isn't really all due to our Falkens as I've hit the brakes hard a few times and rarely has it locked up the wheels and caused the ABS to kick in. The brakes on my Q50 however, are strong enough stock that it has triggered the ABS under a few hard braking conditions, AND I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around on that car.
Other than the warping issue, I don’t really see anything wrong with the OEM brakes. The pads are rather good quality (TRW) and I really like the pedal feel. It’s firm, easy to modulate and has an initial dead-zone to help smooth the initial braking application. Larger discs would be helpful, but I don’t think it’s necessary for a 3200 pound vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Other than the warping issue, I donít really see anything wrong with the OEM brakes. The pads are rather good quality (TRW) and I really like the pedal feel. Itís firm, easy to modulate and has an initial dead-zone to help smooth the initial braking application. Larger discs would be helpful, but I donít think itís necessary for a 3200 pound vehicle.
Actually, the 2018 models have gained some weight and the more fully equipped versions such as the Grand Touring and Signature trims weigh in at 3,560 lbs. Also, the braking distances are worst in class compared to the Accord and Camry which is why I think the brakes are too small for this car. And I also tend to drive aggressively so these brakes tend to get overcooked pretty easily.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Other than the warping issue, I don’t really see anything wrong with the OEM brakes. The pads are rather good quality (TRW) and I really like the pedal feel. It’s firm, easy to modulate and has an initial dead-zone to help smooth the initial braking application. Larger discs would be helpful, but I don’t think it’s necessary for a 3200 pound vehicle.
Actually, the 2018 models have gained some weight and the more fully equipped versions such as the Grand Touring and Signature trims weigh in at 3,560 lbs. Also, the braking distances are worst in class compared to the Accord and Camry which is why I think the brakes are too small for this car. And I also tend to drive aggressively so these brakes tend to get overcooked pretty easily.
The OEM falkens on the signature model are apparently not very good, plus I think 225 section tires are too thin for a car with 310ft/lb of torque. If you changed those tires to something better it would probably go from worst in class to one of the best. I do agree that the OEM brakes overheat easily, but I don’t imagine the Honda or Toyota’s brakes to be any better. The signature has become a rather hefty car!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:08 PM

Op, sorry for hijacking your thread, Get Inline, I think there's no more need to hijack his thread.

Back to the BBK, let us know what Corksport tells you about the pad and rotor replacement options. If there are other aftermarket pads and rotors that can be used with this kit, I think it would be a nice upgrade to the Mazda 6. I've always been a fan of fixed caliper brakes over the basic floating caliper setups that seem to be more prone to warping.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Just an update... Corksport informed me that '06-07 WRX pads will work with the BBK, so that is super convenient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to JC79G35 For This Useful Post:
Dougspeed (08-15-2018)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC79G35 View Post
Just an update... Corksport informed me that '06-07 WRX pads will work with the BBK, so that is super convenient.
Did they mention anything about the rotors or are those unique to Corksport?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Whoops, forgot to ask. I'll send them a message. I presume they re-purpose another part on another car since the pads come from a WRX
Dougspeed likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 GT
Corksport * Racing Beat * Koni * Gram Lights * MV Tuning
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Not to bring up a dead thread, but was there any word on replacement rotors?

Fully Bolted 2004 V6 | MSDS Headers | Injen CAI | MagnaFlow CBE | Brembo BBK | BC Racing Coilovers |
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page