post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any wheel bearing issues?

My wife's 2015 6 has about 55k miles on it, and while driving it for the first time in the while with the radio off, I'm hearing a groan coming from the left front that varies by speed. It sounds similar to a bad front wheel bearing that I've had in the past on a Volkswagen, but I'm not 100% sure. Before I start throwing parts at the problem, has anyone had a similar issue? I searched here and on Google, and I'm not finding anything to indicate that this is a chronic problem with these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
When I've had a wheel bearing go bad (but on a 2013 Nissan Altima) it was more of a whining sound than a groan. Not sure from your description what else to check.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_k View Post
When I've had a wheel bearing go bad (but on a 2013 Nissan Altima) it was more of a whining sound than a groan. Not sure from your description what else to check.

Definitely a groan/grind. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I did the brakes a couple weekends ago to make me think there was a bearing issue. I found a video on YouTube with a good method of testing the bearings if you're not getting obvious slop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:53 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I work in a major Mazda dealer. To the best of my recollection, we have done no wheel bearings, front or rear, on the 3rd Gen cars.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in edmonds View Post
I work in a major Mazda dealer. To the best of my recollection, we have done no wheel bearings, front or rear, on the 3rd Gen cars.

That echos the lack of search results on the topic. There is a first time for everything I guess. I'll probably find out tomorrow, when I'm home and can put the car up on jacks. But first I'll have a couple hours of driving to see if I can further pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Right now I know it seems to be coming from the LF, it is speed dependent, but not RPM dependent.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
That echos the lack of search results on the topic. There is a first time for everything I guess. I'll probably find out tomorrow, when I'm home and can put the car up on jacks. But first I'll have a couple hours of driving to see if I can further pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Right now I know it seems to be coming from the LF, it is speed dependent, but not RPM dependent.

No change when gently applying the brakes as well...? Check the brake backing plate to make sure it wasn't bent when you did the brakes and that no stones got stuck during driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
No change when gently applying the brakes as well...? Check the brake backing plate to make sure it wasn't bent when you did the brakes and that no stones got stuck during driving.

It isn't that kind of noise. There is, however, a slight vibration through the pedal and wheel on very light braking, which is a bummer since there are less than 500 on the new brakes. I'll do some troubleshooting today.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
It isn't that kind of noise. There is, however, a slight vibration through the pedal and wheel on very light braking, which is a bummer since there are less than 500 on the new brakes. I'll do some troubleshooting today.
Sadly, I think you've found where the problem lies.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pretty unlikely to be a wheel bearing at 55k. Now if you had well north of 100k miles, quite possibly, especially if there's a fair bit of rough-road driving involved (e.g. gravel roads, etc.)

Modern "cased" wheel bearings are extraordinarily robust; occasionally you get one that's bad from the factory, but not often. The usual cause of failures come after the FIRST one eventually wears out and stems from improper technique during the replacement operation which damages the replacement when it's installed, and then it quickly fails too (usually in the 20-50k mile range.)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Garage
@Medallion68 had nearly the same issue on his 2016 diesel at only 35,000km and it was the wheel bearing in his case.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/newbie-...ml#post5003146
Jimal likes this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page