Hot topic for 2nd Gen guys - front subframe - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Hot topic for 2nd Gen guys - front subframe

Dropping this here for your consideration.

jalopnik.com/mazda-6s-may-face-recall-over-corrosion-related

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Here's the whole link for @GerryB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1826570225/amp

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
GerryB (06-06-2018)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Thanked 1,114 Times in 815 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Holy shit! After reading some of those complaints, I'm glad my dealer caught the rotted subframe when they did...

Here's hoping they DO issue a safety recall. They'll be refunding my over-$2K repair if so! Good thing I haven't thrown out the paperwork from my '10 yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Holy shit! After reading some of those complaints, I'm glad my dealer caught the rotted subframe when they did...

Here's hoping they DO issue a safety recall. They'll be refunding my over-$2K repair if so! Good thing I haven't thrown out the paperwork from my '10 yet...

I thought of you @Mz6GreyGhost and your subframe replacement when I read this. Some of those reports were pretty spooky!

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Thanks. Didn't realize rhe link got clipped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Mazda Guru

Garage
I found another article.

Click me!

"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Mazda Guru

Garage
I just got a phone call from a friend of mine that has a '10 4-cylinder...

Correction... Had.

He took his 6 in because his steering was pulling to the right, and it just felt like he had a badly unbalanced wheel. His mechanic called him back this morning, saying the front subframe on the passenger side had rusted itself into two pieces, and he was lucky the suspension didn't collapse and bury the fight front wheel into the wheelwell.

Needless to say, he's buying a new car.

I told him to register a complaint with the NHTSA, along with pics and documentation from his mechanic.

I'm hoping that other 2nd-gen owners have had their front subframes checked recently, since this problem is NOT going away...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possible recall for frame rust, suspension/steering failure

Recently I had a discussion with someone with a 2009 Mazda6 where the right front lower suspension arm separated from the engine support frame due to rust corrosion which caused the frame to break. Luckily the car was being driven at lower speeds and did not have an accident. He said that NHTSA had opened an investigation into a number of reported failures. I Googled the following recent articles about this issue:

https://jalopnik.com/mazda-6s-may-fa...rin-1826570225

Mazda MAZDA6 Frame Rust Problems

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...stigated.shtml

In his call to the Mazda dealer he learned that frames are on backorder, and that parts and labor could be $3000 for the repair. I have not heard what he has decided to do. He also mentioned that a contributor to this rust in this location is the air conditioner (A/C) drain directly above, where condensation can drain down and collect on the frame.

Because my son is now driving our 2009 Mazda with 155k miles on it, I had him bring the car home this weekend so I could do a thorough inspection in my garage. The car is in Michigan. As soon as I jacked up the car I could notice how wet the area was from the A/C condensation. He had this on because temps here have been in the 80s. Removing the front wheel/tire, I started scrapping around trying to detach clumps of surface rust before using a wire brush on the surface. My scraper broke through an area of the frame which had been covered by part of the plastic fender liner that is retain there by a plastic clip. I used some metal shears to trim away more rusted metal and a round file to further enlarge, at least until the metal seemed less fragile. The interior of the frame visible from that hole was full of wet rusted debris which I was able to vacuum out. I figured the least I could do was paint the frame area from just ahead of the suspension attachment all the way back to where the frame mounts to the body. I also removed, wire brushed and painted the frame attaching bracket that was easy to remove. I used Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then an overcoat of flat black paint.

There's no saying how weakened the frame is at this point as it is impossible to inspect the interior of the frame or areas hard to reach without removing the frame. As Neil Young sang, Rust Never Sleeps. However, in the hopes this will live for sometime longer, I needed to address the water coming from the A/C and try to redirect this away from that area.

I looked for the A/C drain outlet to determine if I could add a drain hose easily. Reaching up from the wheel well to the firewall, there is actually a short outlet tube/nipple that I was able to slip a length of vinyl tubing and add a small spring type hose clamp. The tube I used measures about 14mm/9/16" inside diameter. 1/2" would probably work as well. I also brushed on some Gorilla super glue when installing. I had trouble deciding how to route the tube as it passes near the V6 rear cylinder bank exhaust catalyst and I did not want this to touch or melt. I decided to bend the tube in a nice radius without kinking and lead this over and in front of the steering arm and then back under and over the sway bar, to end behind the engine frame bracket. I zip tied this to the bracket and to another insulated hose. Not sure what this was. I may try to add some insulation to the tube later if I see any indication of heat discoloration. I'll be checking this again in a couple of weeks. Alternately, someone might try a short length of tube extending from the nipple and then a 90 fitting with addition tube extending straight down past the frame.

Anyone concerned should have their vehicle inspected by their dealer or mechanic. I'm not sure if this is strictly an issue for cars from northern states/provinces, as the A/C condensation will be present in warmer states as well. Anyone that learns anything further from their dealer or receives any recall notification should try to post it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Frame rust discovered.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	785.7 KB
ID:	223324   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Frame rust cut away to reveal interior.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	829.9 KB
ID:	223326   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Frame after painting.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	223328   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 AC Drain tube attachment point.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	874.7 KB
ID:	223330   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Drain tube routing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	903.8 KB
ID:	223332  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Drain tube routing 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	874.7 KB
ID:	223334   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Drain tube end point.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	955.5 KB
ID:	223336  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Mazda Guru

Garage
Log onto the NHTSA website and file a report, and attach the pics you took also.

The more complaints filed with them, the better the chance of them issuing a safety recall over this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. The NHTSA website is for logging complaints about safety related events, like an actual accident caused by a failure. My vehicle has had no specific failure -- yet. However, the guy I know did have an 'event' caused by a failure, so will try to reach him to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page