2018 Mazda 6 suspension knock noise - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Latest update.

Dealer has confirmed that a new Mazda6 on their lot is also doing the same noise in the same situations. The situation is:

Driving down grade, turning right into a dropped curb entrance that is rough (or driving over rough pavement on a road that is curving to the right) while braking causes a pop noise in the front driver's side suspension/strut. I've also had another dealer confirm they hear the noise in my car, too..so I am not nuts.

The fixes applied thus far (foam strip in top strut bearing and a spring protector installed on the coil spring) have quieted it down but noise still persists in more intense bumps.

My regular dealer has raised the "engineering" concern with Mazda and are awaiting a response, again. I wrote Mazda Canada to ask that someone go to bat for me here as I am not happy with this.

The loud knock in the steering (a separate noise) first thing in the morning is still on-going. I naively sprayed the lower control arm bushings with silicone thinking it was that, but no luck.

To be continued....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm that my 18' 6 Signature is doing this as well. First thing in the morning when pulling out of my driveway turning to the right, I get a pop sound and feel it in the front end on the drivers side. I can also make it happen when tight turning in a parking lot over a speed bump.

Please keep us updated if they find a fix. I haven't taken mine in yet, just waiting for the Carplay update to get it all done at the same time.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS16GT View Post
I can confirm that my 18' 6 Signature is doing this as well. First thing in the morning when pulling out of my driveway turning to the right, I get a pop sound and feel it in the front end on the drivers side. I can also make it happen when tight turning in a parking lot over a speed bump.

Please keep us updated if they find a fix. I haven't taken mine in yet, just waiting for the Carplay update to get it all done at the same time.

To be honest, the dealer is still trying to fix the original suspension pop noise issue I raised, so they haven't looked at this yet. And the car only does this knock first thing and then never again for the rest of the day...so I can't really reproduce the noise for them.
I haven't heard anything from the dealer or Mazda and it's been weeks now. I followed up with the dealer last week and was told they would get back to me...still waiting.

I have pretty much given up at this point. I even wrote the person I was speaking with at Mazda Canada and they haven't replied. Not pleased.

Looking forward to hearing what your noise is. I will try mine to see if it makes a noise on a speed bump with wheel turned as yours does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Pops or clunks are usually caused by very loose components that can jump around while turning or going over bumps. Check that everything is tighten and torqued related to suspension even strut bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStyle View Post
Pops or clunks are usually caused by very loose components that can jump around while turning or going over bumps. Check that everything is tighten and torqued related to suspension even strut bolts.

That was the dealer's first fix...everything was "tight".
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
That was the dealer's first fix...everything was "tight".
Did you check for yourself to see if the dealer did indeed tighten components? Unfortunately a lot of dealerships are shady period, they will tell you they did something when in fact they did not, a dealer I dealt with had good reviews yet still did some shady things, like told me my tires were rotated after a visit when in fact they were not, told me my cabin filters were very dirty when in fact two days before heading into the dealership I replaced my filter with a new one, worse one was the complimentary free oil change, oil was never changed. So now everytime i have to go a dealer, i have to double check that in fact they indeed did what they said they did.

Forgot to put in why i made this thread in the first place, lol. Driver side strut bolts when I first bought the car were loose, they claim they tighten it but it was not tight enough to torque specs, so my struts had a little bit of play when turning and going over bumps, etc. which caused my clunk and pop noise while driving. we unbolted the strut reseated spring and strut and torque to specs and never had the issue again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MadStyle; 08-16-2018 at 10:06 AM.
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStyle View Post
Did you check for yourself to see if the dealer did indeed tighten components? Unfortunately a lot of dealerships are shady period, they will tell you they did something when in fact they did not, a dealer I dealt with had good reviews yet still did some shady things, like told me my tires were rotated after a visit when in fact they were not, told me my cabin filters were very dirty when in fact two days before heading into the dealership I replaced my filter with a new one, worse one was the complimentary free oil change, oil was never changed. So now everytime i have to go a dealer, i have to double check that in fact they indeed did what they said they did.

Forgot to put in why i made this thread in the first place, lol. Driver side strut bolts when I first bought the car were loose, they claim they tighten it but it was not tight enough to torque specs, so my struts had a little bit of play when turning and going over bumps, etc. which caused my clunk and pop noise while driving. we unbolted the strut reseated spring and strut and torque to specs and never had the issue again.

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing your fix.

My dealer had the strut removed to install the spring protector and I noticed they used a black marker to mark all around the nuts on the strut top...not sure why they did that. They also put an "x" on it.

Getting my car up and me under it is not easy. I had enough trouble getting the car up so I could spray the bushings. I really need a lift...and I don't have one. I assume there is some under belly aero bits that need to come off, too, but I don't exactly remember what the underneath of my car looks like.

In the mean time I've simply adjusted my driving habits to keep the car from making the noises...driving straight out of driveways, or just not entering them to begin with, and also not turning while driving. It's going great <_<
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Here's a video of the knock I hear first thing in the morning when turning out of my driveway. This is a completely different noise than I hear all the time when turning into driveways, etc...

https://youtu.be/7wKrhTANnKA
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, that sounds very much like what I heard on my '15 when it was new, and silenced for a while with silicone spray into the rubber bushings at the rear of the control arms (they're obvious and large -- and not a bad place to stick a jackstand, by the way, if you're doing tire rotation or other work that doesn't involve the LCAs!)

It went away somewhere around 50-60k miles but to that point I would hit it when changing the oil, and it would stop it for maybe half the OCI, then it would start doing it again (at which point I'd snake under there and hit it again.)

Try that and see if it works for you -- it's nearly-free and easy if it does.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Yeah, that sounds very much like what I heard on my '15 when it was new, and silenced for a while with silicone spray into the rubber bushings at the rear of the control arms (they're obvious and large -- and not a bad place to stick a jackstand, by the way, if you're doing tire rotation or other work that doesn't involve the LCAs!)

It went away somewhere around 50-60k miles but to that point I would hit it when changing the oil, and it would stop it for maybe half the OCI, then it would start doing it again (at which point I'd snake under there and hit it again.)

Try that and see if it works for you -- it's nearly-free and easy if it does.
I sprayed bushings with silicone when I Was under it this weekend. Hopefully it fixed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page