Bilstein dampers now available for 3rd gen - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Never liked H&R, too stiff. Not the best pairing for bilstein. Not sure what other options there are but Corksport or tanabe would be my first picks. Shame that Eibach doesnít make springs for the third gen because they go perfectly with Bilsteins. Iíve tried Eibachs on a Scion FRS before and loved em.
Yeah, checked out their website and they only make springs for 3rd Gen Mazda 3s....

2015 6i sport MT 6 speed
12k fog lights, MV-Tuning bodykit, CS Motor Mount, Antenza badged, H&R springs, CS adjust shocks, quad exhaust tips, Megan Front Strut bar, Varrstoen L151 20x10.5+40, Achilles ATR Sport tires 245|35|20

SOLD..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.. (tear) 04 6i HB, JDM EVO VIII wing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
What would be more comfortable B4 vs B6 vs Koni Sport. Talking purely about comfort and thus a softer ride.
Searching on this forum and others I found Koni FSD with stock springs is the best combo for comfort. However I checked and Koni doesnt make FSD for this car anymoren only Koni sports. They are adjustable but not sure how they would compare to FSD at the softest setting
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:15 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutepoison View Post
What would be more comfortable B4 vs B6 vs Koni Sport. Talking purely about comfort and thus a softer ride.
Searching on this forum and others I found Koni FSD with stock springs is the best combo for comfort. However I checked and Koni doesnt make FSD for this car anymoren only Koni sports. They are adjustable but not sure how they would compare to FSD at the softest setting
You live in Toronto so I'm sure you know about how shit our roads are here... Bilstein would be more reliable.

If you drive on all the rough roads, I'd go for B4 It's not much firmer than stock. Your two options is B4 with aftermarket springs, or B6 with stock springs. It's mainly down to the spring. Find something that doesn't have an aggressive drop. Stock springs could be a good option if you want the same ride height.

I would also suggest modifying your bump-stops so that the strut has more space to compress and consider installing sway bars. They tighten up the suspension and reduce body roll without affecting comfort. I think the money you save on aftermarket springs should go to sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
The B4 shock is optimized to be a slightly better than stock replacement. Theoretically it should be a more compliant ride and less harsh, but I've never ridden on B4s before. I did put a set of B6s with stock springs on my wife's Integra and it made just about perfect. Not harsh or overly stiff, but very responsive. Bilstein shocks will last way longer than OEM as well.

Don't worry about dropping your car, changing springs, different sway bars, etc. unless you really want to start changing things up (and this was your goal anyway). I'd stick with just the B4 shocks with your old springs and call it a day if you want that new ride feel but not too stiff.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
cutepoison likes this.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
Quote:
The B4 shock is optimized to be a slightly better than stock replacement. Theoretically it should be a more compliant ride and less harsh, but I've never ridden on B4s before. I did put a set of B6s with stock springs on my wife's Integra and it made just about perfect. Not harsh or overly stiff, but very responsive. Bilstein shocks will last way longer than OEM as well.

Don't worry about dropping your car, changing springs, different sway bars, etc. unless you really want to start changing things up (and this was your goal anyway). I'd stick with just the B4 shocks with your old springs and call it a day if you want that new ride feel but not too stiff.

How much firmer were they VS. Stock integra struts?

Last edited by Get Inline; 08-25-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post

Thanks. I see that you live in Toronto too, where would u recommend buying these? Rockauto has them listed as "Out of Stock"
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
How much firmer were they VS. Stock integra struts?
I replaced the original struts at 172,000 miles with the B6. Granted, the old ones were well worn out and putting anything new on would make a huge difference. However, the B6 shocks were not harsh at all on the oe springs. Definitely more firm, but not excessively. The car felt like new again even with everything else still original. My wife doesn't care for a super sporty ride and she was plenty happy with the result. We sold the Integra last year with just over 398,000 miles and those Bilstein shocks. The suspension still felt acceptable even with that many miles on it.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. I see that you live in Toronto too, where would u recommend buying these? Rockauto has them listed as "Out of Stock"
I think you meant to quote Get Inline as his signature says Toronto.

Best price I've seen so far was mentioned earlier in this thread - shockwarehouse.com
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:57 AM
Learners License

Quote:
You live in Toronto so I'm sure you know about how shit our roads are here... Bilstein would be more reliable.

If you drive on all the rough roads, I'd go for B4 It's not much firmer than stock. Your two options is B4 with aftermarket springs, or B6 with stock springs. It's mainly down to the spring. Find something that doesn't have an aggressive drop. Stock springs could be a good option if you want the same ride height.

I would also suggest modifying your bump-stops so that the strut has more space to compress and consider installing sway bars. They tighten up the suspension and reduce body roll without affecting comfort. I think the money you save on aftermarket springs should go to sway bars.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Garage
So I really want to replace the original shocks on my car. Bilstein has apparently pulled their offerings as they put it out to market prematurely it would appear. Koni no longer sells the FSD kit and I can't get either to tell me if/when they plan to release anything new. Those were the two options I was considering. I don't mind slightly firmer than OEM, but I do want compliant and something that will last longer.

Without going to a full coilover kit, are the only options KYB GR-2, Monroe OESpectrum, Koni Sport, Corksport or OEM?

Of those remaining options I wouldn't mind going to Koni sport, but that seems like overkill for my sort of commuting. I also don't want to spend $650 for features I don't really need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page