Megan Racing H-Brace Mazda6 03-08 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List
Sydtron

2Likes
  • 1 Post By DrFeelGood
  • 1 Post By BMWtiiGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Megan Racing H-Brace Mazda6 03-08

I recently received a donated, new, Megane Racing H-Brace from a fellow member Sydtron and I thought I would post my impressions.

Installation is a 2/10 (and roughly 15min with hand tools)
Jack
Jack-stands
21mm deep socket (88-114 lb-ft)
15mm deep socket (69-93 lb-ft)
The bar only fits one way, just be sure it is sitting flush. The washers from the two nuts (21mm) will not be used and centering the bar, so it can be tightened, will have to be perfect or the clearance between the 21mm deep socket and the bar will not allow the nut to recess into the tool. Tighten by hand and make sure you can put the socket on both nuts before you proceed to torquing.

My vehicle currently has Racing Beat springs and is sitting 0.7in lower than stock in front and rear. This gives me a clearance height of about 5.5in on new 215/50R17 (stock S wheels)

The H-Brace lower my ground clearance to about 4.25in, costing me about 1.25in of center ground clearance. This means that I will have to put the new bar to use if there is anything in my lane, as I will likely contact all but the smallest 'flotsam'. The big question for me is how it will do in the snow.

Impressions:
First drive has me backing up my drive way and turning at lock to enter the alley. This always gives me a loud crack from the plastic dashboard as the vehicle crosses-up and drops of my driveway pad onto the gravel.
Megane H-Brace has completely eliminated this creak. In fact, I now hear no dashboard creaking at all traversing curb cuts or speed bumps/humps.
Turn-in is much crisper. I was skeptical about being able to feel anything but have to admit there is a noticeable difference in the solidity of the ride. This addition would be a real improvement for European models that see a lot of cobbles (provided they are not too tall)
I cannot say if this would really help the 06-08 models (series 2) as there were reportedly chassis upgrades that aided in rigidity but for the series 1 (03-05) the improvement is present.

Thanks again Sydtron!!

Happy Motoring

____

_____

_____

_____

_____

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Megane H-Brace 01.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	209969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Megane H-Brace 02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	209985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock crosmember.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	209993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Megane H-Brace installed.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	210001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Megane H-Brace clearance.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	210009  

Sydtron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DrFeelGood; 09-04-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: 3rd party hosting issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
I have the very same "snap!" From somewhere very high up in the dash when I get one front wheel up high such as entering a steep driveway cut. Good to know it might just be the way the car is built and not an issue with worn parts.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I have the very same "snap!" From somewhere very high up in the dash when I get one front wheel up high such as entering a steep driveway cut. Good to know it might just be the way the car is built and not an issue with worn parts.
YES! and now it is gone! I have to say, I was really skeptical about this bar but there is no doubt regarding the difference. I am in a 2004 wagon and I DO NOT have a strut top bar... yet.

Generally these chassis bars have been a welcome aid to my old wagon.

___EDIT___
"Yet", has arrived. Steeda has the front strut bar for the Fusion on sale currently so I suppose now is the time. It has been ordered and is on the way. I'll add another post here about my impressions as we don't really need another thread about strut bars... Even if I believe much of what was written about the bars not helping was a result of the vehicles being 1-3 years old. I believe after a decade plus of fatigue the bars are coming into their own.

Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
"Yet", has arrived. Steeda has the front strut bar for the Fusion on sale currently so I suppose now is the time. It has been ordered and is on the way. I'll add another post here about my impressions as we don't really need another thread about strut bars... Even if I believe much of what was written about the bars not helping was a result of the vehicles being 1-3 years old. I believe after a decade plus of fatigue the bars are coming into their own.
Not sure how it will help with already having the H-brace on, but it should tighten up the front noticeably - it definitely helped with solidity and predictability when I put the Steeda on mine. Just about anything will benefit from a strut bar, especially as you ratchet up spring and damper rates and tire grip - many high performance vehicle variants have them, they clearly are doing something (even if it's just NVH related - jinba ittai!).

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD new DD to me, no mods yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
Not sure how it will help with already having the H-brace on, but it should tighten up the front noticeably - it definitely helped with solidity and predictability when I put the Steeda on mine. Just about anything will benefit from a strut bar, especially as you ratchet up spring and damper rates and tire grip - many high performance vehicle variants have them, they clearly are doing something (even if it's just NVH related - jinba ittai!).
I found it amusing to see the various build related posts you made and to realize that we independently built the same cars.. I added the Steeda front strut bar and it was a nice "little" improvement. Not the stellar jump of the H-brace but an addition all the same. I bet if I would have gone with the strut bar before the H-brace I would be saying the opposite.
Last would be the AutoEXE lower rear arm bar (brace) to help with the wagon rear. probably will never happen but it's always nice to daydream.

Modifications:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Love it!

Dr.,
You and I seem to have very similar goals suspension wise! I love the H-brace idea and ordered one. But they are fresh out and had to refund me until they get more in which is an unknown date.
I am pleased to know the RB springs only drop 3/4". I was looking for the mildest drop for my 3.0 HB and wasn't sure if those springs were ok given the extra weight out back. But if you used them on a wagon, I'm in!
Second, the interior cross brace concerns me only because I carry big bins around for work. It seems like the brace would be a big hindrance to sliding things in and out of the rear cargo area.
Lastly, DrFeelGood, thank you so much for these posts (including your comprehensive sway bar post.) They have helped me greatly and I really appreciate the time and detail you have put in.

Matthew
DrFeelGood likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtiiGuy View Post
Dr.,
You and I seem to have very similar goals suspension wise! I love the H-brace idea and ordered one. But they are fresh out and had to refund me until they get more in which is an unknown date.
I am pleased to know the RB springs only drop 3/4". I was looking for the mildest drop for my 3.0 HB and wasn't sure if those springs were ok given the extra weight out back. But if you used them on a wagon, I'm in!
Second, the interior cross brace concerns me only because I carry big bins around for work. It seems like the brace would be a big hindrance to sliding things in and out of the rear cargo area.
Lastly, DrFeelGood, thank you so much for these posts (including your comprehensive sway bar post.) They have helped me greatly and I really appreciate the time and detail you have put in.

Matthew
Sure Matthew, no problem. A few thing your should note before doing the springs. Spring rates are very similar according to Racing Beat but the spring is shorter.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspensi...ml#post4836465
Energy Suspension 6.6104 placed on top of the spring insulator raised it a bit. Since I have a wagon I used one on the top and a similar one on the bottom of the spring.

The amount of rear floor lift I experienced was minimal but it is there.
Check it out.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspensi...floor-bar.html

All in all the car rides very nice. Everything is just tighter without being annoying.

Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page